“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mayfair Hotel

Save Saved
You added Mayfair Hotel to your Saves list
Mayfair Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   242 West 49th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #359 of 453 Hotels in New York City
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We booked this hotel for two nights because it was the cheapest I could find that was close to Times Square. I was leery after some of the reviews. I was beyond surprised. The staff was so incredibly nice. We arrived at 7Am and they stored our luggage free of charge. Our room wasn't ready by 3 so they upgraded our room to the king with a pullout. I was surprised at how big the bathroom was and the room actually after seeing reviews. Bed was comfy and it wasn't loud in the room although we did have the AC running all night long. The hotel is old and has peeling wallpaper and carpet is very worn. You can't beat the price, location and staff. They were so accommodating. I would stay here again in a heart beat. Times Square is so incredibly close, I loved it!

Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Korean first
Schenectady, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Stayed here for one night for a show at Carnegie Hall. 3 of us were in a king room with pull out chair. It worked for what we needed. The rooms are smallish (as expected in Manhattan), but we were able to move around fine for the short amounts of time we were in the room (though I think we were in the largest they have so it's all relative - room 705). Bathroom is functional and actually roomier than expected. Made getting ready easy. Hot water is very hot, so be careful when washing hands/face in the sink. No toiletries other than shampoo and soap. Pack accordingly (or plan a drug store stop). Bed was comfortable. Pullout chair may not be comfortable for those over 5'8" or so. Only complaint about the room - So. Very. Hot. AC appears to not be turned on yet or broken and we were there on the first 75 degree day of the year (mid-April so understandable if they didn't turn it on yet). Even with the windows open, it was still like an oven in there. The location was convenient for the show and getting in and out of town (reasonable walk to Penn Station, Grand Central, Port Authority and Megabus). Super convenient for Broadway shows or most things in midtown. If you're in town to see Book of Mormon or Chicago, you can't get closer than this hotel. As it is several blocks removed, it is possible to avoid the complete madness of Times Square itself while staying here if one so chooses. Luggage storage is available after checkout for $2 per bag. Front desk staff members were always friendly. Did not make use of restaurant so have no opinion. Would recommend to friends.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Warkworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I really liked this hotel. The rooms were warm and cosy, the beds comfy and the staff really helpful and friendly. The location is perfect, very close to Times Square and the subway on 48th / 7th, and while the decor is a bit dated and it is not the shiniest, cleanest place I have stayed, it has character and charm. It is an old building but my room was quiet (hard to find anywhere in NY!), and while the room was also very small, there is nowhere in NY where you'll find big rooms: even the fancy hotels have small ones. For this price range, I was really pleased!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

If you want perfection, this is not the place. The carpet is a little worn and the elevator is European style (very tiny and a little creaky) but if you can appreciate a cozy, clean little place at a very decent price you will like the Mayfair. Turn left out the front door and there's a nice upscale coffee shop for breakfast. Turn right out the front door and there's a full grocery store. Walk a block and you're at the subway. My room was comfy, clean and tastefully decorated. This is one of those places I hesitate to write about because I don't want it to get too popular.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I was definitely on the fence about this hotel given some of the negative reviews, but my personal experience here over 4 days was extremely positive.

First off, the hotel is older so it has some... rustic charm lets say. Others might describe it as dilapidated, but I prefer the former. Full of character, but also the ceiling has holes in it on some floors I observed, beat up carpet in some areas and similar things you might expect to find in a hotel of this age. My girlfriend and I stayed on the 6th floor and none of these things impacted our stay though.

No complaints about the hotel staff. We found them to be friendly, accommodating with our luggage when we arrived before our check in time and the maid service was what I would have expected.

The room we stayed in (Theatre district-double bed-pvt bath-cabletv free wifi-cable tv-lcd tv-european flair) was small yes, but not as small as others have described and it suited our needs perfectly fine. Bathroom was a good size, air conditioning worked just fine, was not too loud and our room situated in an alley in between buildings was quiet. I did not mind the crappy alley view from our window as it resulted in virtually no outside noise other than the occasional sounds of pigeons. We also never had any issues with the one hotel elevator.

Best part about this hotel of course is the location and price compared to other hotels in the Broadway district. Pretty self explanatory here. Our experience was that yes, the location is awesome and for what's within walking distance you can't beat it considering the price.

Last thing I will make a note of is the bar and restaurant attached to the hotel. Standard bar offerings for drinks, but we found the food to be surprisingly good the one night we got some pasta here, actually better than a significantly more expensive Italian restaurant down the street. If you opt to stay at the Mayfair I highly suggest giving them a try.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

If you are just sleeping and it is short stay, this place is o.k, if you plan to spend time in the room relaxing forget it! The bathroom was almost the same size as the bedroom, so it was o.k. The staff were very helpful especially in the bar down stairs( which I do not think is under the management of the hotel) this little bar is one of the best in NYC ! It made our trip fantastic. The location is also great.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Antwerp, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I stayed here for almost 4 nights, truly it was a nightmare of an experience. Rooms are tiny, the A/C system never works, as well as the heating system. There is no space for suitcases. Yes, the good thing about the hotel was it's location. However, the room was not as I expected it to be. For a boutique hotel, they should actually make it feel like one (according to their website).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Mayfair Hotel? Share your experiences!