“Perfect location, clean, & great staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mayfair Hotel

Save Saved
You added Mayfair Hotel to your Saves list
Mayfair Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   242 West 49th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #358 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Abingdon, Maryland
“Perfect location, clean, & great staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We reserved this hotel on Hotels.com, prepaid...show up early, we check in, but room wasn't ready, so they held our bags for us, no charge. Very nice staff, accomodating. Clean, comfy bed, awesome towels, and perfect shower, pressure was great! Little bar/restaurant in same building. For the price, you can't beat the location. Let's face it, you're not going to NYC to hang out in a hotel room. They also held our bags after check out so we could walk around the city without them. Small, outdated decor, but who cares. There's a tv, iron, hair dryer in the room. I would definitely stay here again. Thanks friendly Mayfair staff!!! A weekend to remember!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Korean first
Dover
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I was impressed from the minute I got off the subway and found myself and the hotel easily in the middle of everything - a block to the theater, a block to catch the train, a few minutes' walk to any diner or store that I might need. I arrived hours before checkin but my room was ready and I was happily able to go to my room and freshen up before heading out into the city. The staff at the desk was amazingly friendly and helpful - great with their advice of how to find things, including the perfect place to eat the type of food I had described desiring. Later that day when I needed to use the computers and printers provided to guests in the lobby, again they were very friendly and did not act put out by my request. There are a few steps to get into the hotel, so if you have problems with steps this could be an issue. There is a doorman who could help you with your bags and offer an arm to assist though. I was surprised by how small the room was, but it was quaint, clean, and in the end, was all the bigger that I needed. I was not prepared either that the room temperature was not controlled by the guests themselves in each room, but the room temperature was comfortable. At one point I felt it was starting to get chillier than I would have liked, but a quick and easy call to the front desk was all that was needed - the room was warmer in short order. Very happy with this hotel, would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for four nights at this hotel
As previous reviews the location is great for Times Square and most central attractions
Rooms were small but well maintained
Two minor complaints
We checked in to one room as we were early . A bit irritated by being asked to present passport twice when the second room was ready
The additional charge on departure -some kind of environmental levy was a surprise and unwellcome
That said a good few days

• Stayed November 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Mayfair as a solo traveller and found the staff to be pleasant and helpful. The hotel is clean & neat & ideally situated to time square and the theatre district. Your never more than a ten minute walk away from most places. Any one reading this review please don't take any notice of the negative reviews that have been given to this establishment. So a big thank you to all the staff a job well done:-)

Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stayed here for some nights end of October beginning of November. In summary there are a few good things - location is great close to Times Square, close to the Subway and line for JFK and LGA Airports, rooms are clean and the WIFI is working well. Things not so good are the outdated reception, stairs, and elevator. Only a few TV channels working, if you need to switch on the AC you can not sleep due to noise. Reception staff OK service, even if it looks like they prefer sitting and watching than give service to guests entering. I agree with another review saying that the hotel is probably a cash cow until renovation is urgently needed. With small investments in new carpets in the public areas and a facelift to the elevator the hotel had been higher rated by me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

The room was very small but what I expected. Location was in the theater district, 3 blocks from Times Square and 5 blocks from Rockafeller Center....Perfect for seeing the sights in central Manhattan.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Montevideo, Uruguay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel during our last holiday at it was the perfect choice for us since we were travelling on a tight budget. It wasn’t anything fancy but it had clean rooms, cheap rates and a great location, just a few blocks away from Time Square, walking distance to all the Broadway theatres and restaurants. Being close to everything saved us time and money. I loved the area and if I go back to New York (hopefully I will! I really fell in love with this magical city!) I will surely stay at this hotel again.

The rooms were tiny, but that didn’t affect us since we were hardly in the rooms at all – we prefer to use as much time as possible discovering the city and sightseeing.
Our room was not very nicely decorated and very old fashion - but it was clean which is the most important thing for us, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was fine.
I had read some comments about this hotel which mentioned bed bugs, therefore I looked at the mattress and revised the corners of the bed and the carpet when I arrived, but all was good and we didn’t have any issues with this.

Our room was on a high floor which helped cut down on the noise, the only bad thing about being on a high floor was having to take the elevator, the elevator was very old and made lots of noise wich was kind of creepy.

Over all we liked the hotel, great value for money! I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a low floor if you are claustrophobic or scared of noisy elevators