“Could be much better” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mayfair Hotel

Save Saved
You added Mayfair Hotel to your Saves list
Mayfair Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   242 West 49th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #362 of 451 hotels in New York City
Stockholm, Sweden
“Could be much better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stayed here for some nights end of October beginning of November. In summary there are a few good things - location is great close to Times Square, close to the Subway and line for JFK and LGA Airports, rooms are clean and the WIFI is working well. Things not so good are the outdated reception, stairs, and elevator. Only a few TV channels working, if you need to switch on the AC you can not sleep due to noise. Reception staff OK service, even if it looks like they prefer sitting and watching than give service to guests entering. I agree with another review saying that the hotel is probably a cash cow until renovation is urgently needed. With small investments in new carpets in the public areas and a facelift to the elevator the hotel had been higher rated by me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

475 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Korean first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

The room was very small but what I expected. Location was in the theater district, 3 blocks from Times Square and 5 blocks from Rockafeller Center....Perfect for seeing the sights in central Manhattan.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Montevideo, Uruguay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel during our last holiday at it was the perfect choice for us since we were travelling on a tight budget. It wasn’t anything fancy but it had clean rooms, cheap rates and a great location, just a few blocks away from Time Square, walking distance to all the Broadway theatres and restaurants. Being close to everything saved us time and money. I loved the area and if I go back to New York (hopefully I will! I really fell in love with this magical city!) I will surely stay at this hotel again.

The rooms were tiny, but that didn’t affect us since we were hardly in the rooms at all – we prefer to use as much time as possible discovering the city and sightseeing.
Our room was not very nicely decorated and very old fashion - but it was clean which is the most important thing for us, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was fine.
I had read some comments about this hotel which mentioned bed bugs, therefore I looked at the mattress and revised the corners of the bed and the carpet when I arrived, but all was good and we didn’t have any issues with this.

Our room was on a high floor which helped cut down on the noise, the only bad thing about being on a high floor was having to take the elevator, the elevator was very old and made lots of noise wich was kind of creepy.

Over all we liked the hotel, great value for money! I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a low floor if you are claustrophobic or scared of noisy elevators
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

kleenex box rooms. i get that, it's new york. reserved room months ago at one price.showed up only to find friday & saturday nights had nearly doubled and a half in price. not my fault that the new york marathon was that weekend, and some burro booked us at a lower rate. no advanced notice of the price change. throw in pipes that rattle like thunder, an elevator that was old 50 years ago, and a staff that could care less about anything, and you're all set for a hell of a great time. not!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Alexandria, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Location is perfect. My room was extremely small. I was told this in the confirmation but never though it would be this small. Front desk was OK. Concierge helped taking my luggage till my flight. Only 4 TV channels were working. No noise can be heard in the 6th floor.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a bigger room with a view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed at the Mayfair Hotel with my daughter and found it very convienient to everything we wanted to do. The staff was always helpful and courteous and our room, although small, was clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was very nice, good water pressure and huge compared to NY standards I am told. I thought the price and convienience of location made Mayfair a very nice hotel and one that I would not hesitate to stay at again!

Room Tip: The elevator is quite small so we used the stairs often....maybe choose a lower floor if stairs are...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Edmond, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was our second trip to New York City and this hotel beat the last one by far. This is a smaller hotel with a great location. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Our room was one of the larger ones and we actually had a view of 49th street and not a brick wall! The bed was very comfortable and although the wallpaper, chair and headboard were all the same print (haha) we were very satisfied with our stay. We were not cramped like our last hotel in NYC. We would definitely visit this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mayfair Hotel? Share your experiences!