“ouch!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mayfair Hotel

Save Saved
You added Mayfair Hotel to your Saves list
Mayfair Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   242 West 49th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #360 of 451 hotels in New York City
Pasadena, California
“ouch!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

kleenex box rooms. i get that, it's new york. reserved room months ago at one price.showed up only to find friday & saturday nights had nearly doubled and a half in price. not my fault that the new york marathon was that weekend, and some burro booked us at a lower rate. no advanced notice of the price change. throw in pipes that rattle like thunder, an elevator that was old 50 years ago, and a staff that could care less about anything, and you're all set for a hell of a great time. not!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

479 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Korean first
Alexandria, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Location is perfect. My room was extremely small. I was told this in the confirmation but never though it would be this small. Front desk was OK. Concierge helped taking my luggage till my flight. Only 4 TV channels were working. No noise can be heard in the 6th floor.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a bigger room with a view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed at the Mayfair Hotel with my daughter and found it very convienient to everything we wanted to do. The staff was always helpful and courteous and our room, although small, was clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was very nice, good water pressure and huge compared to NY standards I am told. I thought the price and convienience of location made Mayfair a very nice hotel and one that I would not hesitate to stay at again!

Room Tip: The elevator is quite small so we used the stairs often....maybe choose a lower floor if stairs are...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Edmond, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was our second trip to New York City and this hotel beat the last one by far. This is a smaller hotel with a great location. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Our room was one of the larger ones and we actually had a view of 49th street and not a brick wall! The bed was very comfortable and although the wallpaper, chair and headboard were all the same print (haha) we were very satisfied with our stay. We were not cramped like our last hotel in NYC. We would definitely visit this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Great location if you want to go to the theatres. Felt very safe on the street at night. Excellent Italian piano restaurant next door and there is a good coffee shop on the corner. Room was tiny and dated but bathroom was clean and relatively spacious. Reception staff didn't seem to want to chat or make eye contact but that kind of thing becomes a bit of a laugh to me. We stayed here for 6 nights and didn't spend too much time in the room so it was perfectly fine for our stay. No luxury, just the basics.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and brother this hotel is brilliant for the price ok so the wallpaper is old looking but I don't go to a hotel to look at the wallpaper the bathroom was clean and tidy the sofa bed was comfortable and the room was spacious the wifi was a bit hit and miss but you can't expect everything great location the staff were very helpful and friendly and the maid did the room everyday all in all I would stay there again in a heartbeat

Stayed October 2013
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I agree with everyone who says location is the one good thing about this hotel. I arrived late at night and the staff had no interest in even the basics such as pointing out where the elevator is. Room was tiny which is OK, but so awkwardly shaped it was difficult to even get my bag into the room. Wallpaper was peeling off the walls. Lighting was low and some bulbs didn't work. Half the TV channels were showing a message saying the digital box needing sorting! Throw pillows on the bed were filthy and there were a lot of long hairs in the room that didn't belong to me! Really wished I'd paid more to stay somewhere nicer. Hotel does store bags for a small charge. If offers free wifi but didn't give me the code so I couldn't try it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Mayfair Hotel? Share your experiences!