“Ideal Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mayfair Hotel

You added Mayfair Hotel to your Saves list
Mayfair Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   242 West 49th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #358 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
“Ideal Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hotel is in an amazing location, right in the middle of time square, you literally walk out of the door and its on your doorstep! The room was small but was fine for what we needed it for as we didnt spend a lot of time at the hotel as we were out so much! The staff are very friendly and helpful at the hotel and will try their best to help you!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
South Hadley, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Do not stay here. Although the hotel is in a prime location just blocks away from times square, they have bed bugs. I was up up at night, always have trouble the first night in a hotel, so got up to turn on AC, turned on light, and saw black spots on my pillow, alarmed at I got closer and realized they were bugs. I thought at first was maybe just a random bug not a bed bug, but after moving my sheets I realized the whole comforter and sheets were moving. Where the seams were there were bugs. Now, I am paranoid as it is, I like things clean, and looking at room when I first arrived, I did check the bed, and everything passed my information inspection.

I only spent about 2 hrs in the bed, and luckily i had woken up because my arms/chest/back were covered with bites.

I spent from 2am -6am in the lobby downstairs waiting to get a hold of my company and someone who would further assist me in checking out of my room.

I spent over $300 getting my clothes dry cleaned and had to move to a different hotel

This experience really has ruined traveling for me, and I often have to travel for work. Additionally, I was going on vacation a week after I returned from my NY business trip, and had to go to a dermatologist for antibiotics as I received an infection from bites as the swelled up and get inflamed.

I will be reporting this to the bed bug registry, which I now know exists and sharing on additional websites as this was a horrible experience and still bothers me. I felt violated and was put out having to deal with this. I was unable to attend a business dinner as all of my clothes were at the cleaners for rush service..Just completely unacceptable and I hope the hotel has fixed this situation, however, to be safe, please avoid this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The hotel is close to Time Square, excellent location, clean, very small, and unfriendly.
If you are using online booking you might not have the room you expect, in fact we had a queen in place of a king, charged for a king and asked to speak to bookings.com for refund. Finally we had a king with a backstairs window with no glass !! but a cardboard.
We left the luggage for 1/2 hour in the lobby and we were asked to pay 2$ per luggage, even for the very small one.
We finally had the next day a king room,courtesy of the hotel :-) even if we have paid for exactly this kind of room.

Room Tip: Call if you are using online booking, expect surprises.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

The Mayfair is nice hotel around the corner from Times Square. It is more like a bed and breakfast without the breakfast. The staff is very professional and helpful rooms are VERY small but well appointed I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Front desk staff Joseph is excellent, people person, very accomadating, and funny!
True to the other reviews rooms and elevator are very small, elevator can fit up to 2 people at a time, with maybe a small piece of luggage, but no biggie.
The stay started out terrific, got into my room right away, BUT unforunately there were a few issues that came up, one with the bathroom faucet, which ultimately NEVER got fixed!
But after speaking to the hotel manager who was also very accomadating for the things that went south, I can't complain to much! Any place you go there are good people and not good people, that's just how it goes, especially if you travel alot like I do!
Hotel is minutes from Times Square, and the theatres!
There is a refrig in the basement for anything you may want to put in it, and a small bar connected to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Great location. Boutique hotel.
Very small room. Walls, chair, headboard, pillow shams. curtains in blue/white pattern (better to me than other room colors). I thought it was called chintz but they call it toile. Room clean. Bed comfortable but really tight space. Itty bitty night table on one side. Nice shower but the smallest sink ever seen. Nice TV. Hallways very shabby. I even had to pick up the rug one day to pull out bumps.
Lobby very small. Sometimes someone opens the front door and sometimes the front desk people speak to you as you go by. The guy at our check in was great but never saw him again.
Location! Location! But would only stay again if price were much less.

• Stayed June 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Disappointed. The rooms have only one little chair, there's not even a desk, but a shelf; not nearly enough closet space and one tiny glass shelf in the bathroom. And they're tiny even by New York standards.

What's great is that the staff is terrific: helpful, accommodating and friendly. There's also free wifi and they do not charge for use of the desktop computer - or printing - located in the lobby.

If you want to be in the theatre district, perfect location.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Mayfair Hotel? Share your experiences!