“great small hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moderne Hotel

You added Moderne Hotel to your Saves list
Moderne Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   243 West 55th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #103 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“great small hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

this small hotel is extremely friendly and helpful and very centrally located. it is clean and efficient. has a nice second floor lounge to hang out in and have coffee.
i would highly recommend it for anyone.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Dear Susan M,
Thank you for the outstanding review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the location, clean accommodations, and friendly service you received at the hotel. Please reach out to me the next time you plan a trip to NYC. We hope to see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Belmont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I am writing this to thank the staff for being so exceptional throughout our stay at this hotel.
Great location, small but workable rooms, clean and easy to get around location.
Thanks to the front desk for being exceptional, especially robbi.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear scott94002,
Thank you for the great review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the central location, accommodations, and service you received at the hotel. Robbie will be especially pleased to hear your compliments. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us. Please reach out to me the next time you wish to stay. We hope to see you soon!
Calverton, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We walked into the Moderne and were greeted by a very friendly desk manager. At first we were placed in a room on the first floor (the pink hallway floor). We walked into our room and noticed a half full glass of water on the sink. At first we were a little concerned and voiced our concerns to the front desk. HE assured us that this was because a lady that had originally been assigned this room was in the room for 10 minutes and then asked for another room because "her room was to warm." This turned out to be true, the heat may have ben broken because the room was indeed very warm. My goal in telling you this is that, the staff did everything they could to get us a new room and make sure we were comfortable. Ultimately we wound up on the 3rd floor (blue hallways). We were extremely happy with our room and service. The highlight of this hotel is the unique design and most importantly THE BED!! It was huge and by far the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. We booked this hotel because it was walking distance to Le Bernadin, the restaurant I was taking my girlfriend to for dinner. There was plenty to do around the hotel as well. Close proximity to the lights of time square. I would definitely recommend this hotel, but I would wait for a discounted or on sale room. Origianlly the room I booked was around $300, but found it for $150, it was worth the $150, but $300 is a bit steep for the amenities.

Room Tip: Try and stay on the upper floors, the bottom floor bad a bit of a moldy-ish smell, but the upper flo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Eddie W,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We regret to hear that you initially had an issue with your room, but are happy to hear that it was quickly resolved to your satisfaction. We are also pleased that you enjoyed the location, decor, efficient service, and comfortable accommodations you received at the hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Please reach out to me personally for any future reservations. We hope to welcome you back soon!
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

My wife and I stayed at The Moderne over the 2013 Thanksgiving weekend. The best aspect of this hotel is its location. My wife and I were both surprised how close and convenient it was to so much—Times Square, Central Park, Broadway and numerous eateries and bakeries are only blocks away. If my wife and I hadn’t wanted to visit the Statute of Liberty we would have never had to get on the subway. But if you wanted to venture further out from the tourist areas there were numerous subway stops within easy walking distance.

The hotel is recently renovated. In fact, it looks like the building used to be condemned (there is a sign taped to the door stating the building is not fit for habitation dated from the early 2000s). It is small, but we liked the homey feel that provided. The elevator in the building is slow, but adequate. The 2nd floor has a lounge area which we felt was a hidden gem. The door was not labeled and it was a bit hard to find but once inside it has huge couches and chairs. We especially loved the Keurig maker so that we could warm up during the day with hot chocolate and tea. They also had breakfast breads in the morning.

My wife and I stayed in room 604. We asked for a quiet room and the hotel was kind enough to put us in the back corner. We heard the occasional room door slamming but otherwise it was insulated from street noise and neighbors. The room was cramped (the king bed took up 80% of the room), but that is to be expected in New York. We loved that a king bed option was available and were impressed by the cleanliness of the room. The room had a stocked mini-fridge, but no microwave. The bathroom was really nice and clean. I am generally not a rainfall shower fan but this one wasn’t bad; good water pressure and is always had hot water. The glass wall separating the shower from the rest of the bathroom is only a half glass though so a lot of water got on the floor.

Our room had an individually controlled heating and cooling unit. It stopped working at one point but the hotel fixed it within the hour. Our room faced an alleyway so the small window only looked out to a fire escape. Also, if you google map the property, and go to street view, you are likely to see a huge construction whole across the street. That looked to be completed and we didn’t hear any construction noise.

The two downsides to this hotel are that there is no on-site food or gym. The tradeoff was worth it though to stay in a clean hotel in a great location for a reasonable price in NYC. We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the city.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jeffrey D,
Thank you very much for the 5 star review! We are delighted that you enjoyed the central location, cleanliness, amenities, and accommodations of the hotel. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we greatly appreciate your thorough feedback. Please reach out to me personally the next time you wish to stay so that I may arrange your accommodations. We hope to see you soon!
Washington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I thought there were many excellent things about this hotel. I loved being near Columbus Circle and the Central Park. The staff were excellent. They were always friendly and helpful. However, I hated the mattress on my bed. It was so hard that I could never really get to sleep.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Dear Jean Louise M,
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you found the staff and location of the hotel to be excellent. However, we regret to hear that you did not enjoy the mattress in your room. We often receive positive feedback from our guests regarding our comfortable mattresses and it is unfortunate that your experience was different. Please reach out to me if you wish to discuss this issue in more detail. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Fayetteville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

A Business Trip, W57 & 7th Avenue and I wanted to walk and explore while there. I visited this area before but it was a quick in and out. This time it was for three days. I found the Moderne on my own and I wanted it to work-out. I enjoyed it because It was simple, I was left to my own whims. Staff was courteous, helpful if needed. Continental Breakfast was just right, I came and went as I pleased. I'm 6'3", shower, bed, size of room was just right. I've recommended it to friends already and I'll do it again. The e-mail correspondence with whatever concern I may have had was always courteous and responded to in a timely manor. I feel I'm on a first name basis with everyone! So, it worked and as the title implies--I can't wait for a reason to return.

Room Tip: Higher floors, South side, No windows=A Quiet Experience!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear FrankDeFonda,
Thank you for your review! We are pleased that you enjoyed the accommodations, location, and service you received at the hotel. Please reach out to me personally for any future reservations so that I may arrange your accommodations. We cannot wait for you to return as well!
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Elavator didn't work for 2 days , we stayed on the 8th floor was terrible go up and down few times a day could hear ear everything thrue the walls and there is nothing like waking up at 7 am from the noise of them fixing the elavator for 5 hours I felt I were in a war. Terrible experience would not recommend this place

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Angela F, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Yafim R,
Thank you for for your review. We deeply regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Our elevator was out of service temporarily for routine repairs and we took great strides to accommodate guests so that they would not be inconvenienced. We would have been most happy to move you to a lower floor or provide some other form of compensation. We pride ourselves on providing efficient service and comfortable accommodations and we sincerely apologize that your stay was not ideal. I would appreciate an opportunity to speak with you on these matters in more detail. Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience. I look forward to speaking with you.

Been to Moderne Hotel? Share your experiences!