“A great find!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moderne Hotel

Save Saved
You added Moderne Hotel to your Saves list
Moderne Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   243 West 55th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #113 of 449 hotels in New York City
Brisbane, Australia
“A great find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Spent 5 nights in a king room. The rooms are the size you expect in NYC and we were very impressed by their funky contemporary feel and VERY comfortable bedding (great after a long day out in the city) although I would agree with the reference to "paper thin" walls in some reviews.

The hotel also has lounge on the second floor offering complimentary hot beverages, fresh fruit (and cake in the morning).
The (free) WiFi is great and the location is brilliant, only a short distance from Time Square, Central Park and great shopping!

You don't come to New York to stay in you room but the Moderne certainly was a nice place to be when it was time to call it a night!

Stayed May 2013
Dear 5cott,

Thank you so much for sharing such kind words! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your visit to NYC! We appreciate you taking the time to post on our property and can't wait to welcome you back to our hotel again soon!

800 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Czech first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a hotel that is quiet (for NY standards), intimate, affordable, and near Times Square, this is your place. My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights. We were upgraded to a suite, which probably makes me slightly partial.

The staff were wonderful throughout our stay. My only complaint was that there was only one elevator for the 8 floors of the hotel. We never had to wait because there was too many people riding, but on occasion, the housekeeping staff had to run to the basement and it slowed the elevator traffic.

The bed was comfortable, bathroom was functional, and the amenities were workable. I would stay here again without hesitation. This place does not have a lot of bells and whistles that you might get elsewhere, but if you don't need those things, this will work well.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BigDoerr25,

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience! We are delighted to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your experience and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Safe travels!
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The bellman was thoughtful enough to ask if I'd like the wifi access code while I waited in the lounge for my room to be readied (I had arrived much earlier than the usual check-in time.) The front desk staff found an item that I had left behind and mailed it back to me. Just two highlights of a friendly staff. The room was quiet and dark - slept very well, especially in NYC. The location is extremely convenient with easy subway access to all parts of Manhattan and other boroughs.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms provide easy access to lounge as it's on the same floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Julia C,

Thank you so much for your kind words about your stay with us! We think our staff is pretty great as well and are thrilled to hear that you agreed! We are so happy you had a good time and can't wait to see you again!
cremona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The location is excellent. The hotel is halfway between Time Square and Central Park. All major attractions are very close and there are several subway stations to move inside Manhattan.
The room was clean and quiet. The bathroom was comfortable with a big shower.
The reception staff was very kind and gave us many precious suggestions (like the best places to eat).
We will book this hotel again for our next journey in New York.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
AMahonAHG, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear gallinacido,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a response! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we think our location and staff are unbeatable as well! We are looking forward to seeing you again soon!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Ashley Mahon, the Hotel Manager at the Moderne understood that I arrived in town early with a migraine so she worked hard to get a room cleaned quickly so I could lay down. My husband and I were also upgraded to a larger room. The room was beautiful and spotless and the bed was unbelievably comfortable. It helped my head a lot. The gave us restaurant recommendations for lunch which turned out well. Everyone we spoke to on the staff was very kind. They were, especially Ashley, extremely professional and hospitable. If you book directly through the hotel, you get a 15% discount on your next stay. I found the price the same at Hotels.com so I went directly to the hotel. I highly recommend the Moderne.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear KiWron,

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and are so happy to hear that your headache did not ruin your overall experience! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I booked this based on the reviews. I think the reviews sold me on the cleanliness and service.
I was disappointed, after I emailed the hotel in advance of this being a special occasion, there was no mention of the occasion when we arrived.
The room was very small which was fine. But the bathroom was tiny. Too tiny. If I flipped my towel to tie it around my head it hit the toilet. The shower was intended to be modern but the "glass wall" (no curtain or door) wasn't long enough so there was a pool of water after every use.
My second day there was a towel laid on the floor underneath the window that never left the spot during our 5 day stay. My husband didn't want me to inquire and I didn't bother.
The decoration was modern (it's the hotel's name so no other adjective) but dark. So, an already small room was even smaller. Window view was a brick wall so the drawn shade makes it like you are sleeping in a cave.
There were cracks in the bathroom ceiling and my comforter cover had a hole.

This hotel has a European feel but for a couple on their first vacation away from the kids, I was hoping for a little more.
I recently stayed at the Sheraton and the room size, for NY was a lot better.
We were hardly in the room, of course, but still looking for a retreat to soothe tired feet.

Regardless, wifi included, absolutely excellent location, this would be a perfect selection for singles or couples who haven't had kids yet.

If you are wondering why I didn't say anything about the occasion or the towel, I was too lazy, but if service was so great should I have to?

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
AMahonAHG, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear TL75,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property! We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations and wish that you would have brought your concerns to our attention so that we could have adjusted them to make your stay more enjoyable.Our staff strives to ensure that all of our guests have the best experience possible and we are sorry to hear that we did not achieve this with you. We hope that you will consider us again on your next stay so that we can show you all that the Moderne has to offer!
Salzburg, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Reception was "educational". Our room had a window in a funnel/lightwell. They could do a lot more for a tasteful breakfast (european style) for the same costs. Most TV-channels are unlikely analoge - in "digital satellite time" there must´nt be problems to get european channels in different languages too. Courtesy room for short refreshing after check-out ist a great offer! Location is superb, only 10 minutes to Times Square or Central Park. Room is very noisy, door is not sound absorbing but selfclosing; locking was not possible. The flush has been leaky, permanent back filling buged. In fact nice design, average hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Moderne Hotel? Share your experiences!