“Good Hotel. Bad Beds.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Moderne Hotel

Orbitz.com Expedia.com
Moderne Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   243 West 55th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #112 of 446 hotels in New York City
Adelaide
“Good Hotel. Bad Beds.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

For all of the goods of this hotel, the ONE bad is almost enough to make me not want to recommend it. The hotel itself great. New, clean, full of creature comforts i.e. nice bathrooms, free lounge with snacks and drinks. The staff are super friendly and the bellman is very helpful. Proximity to tourist attractions is good, just a few blocks off Times Square. However, the bed had my boyfriend rolling off it in the morning in pain and proclaiming that the next night he'd sleep in the desk chair...which he did. I, on the other hand, couldn't even roll out of it, it was so soft and I was so sunken in! It's a small thing if you don't really have issues with bed comfort, but sometimes you just want a really good night's sleep to get you ready for a day of sightseeing and shopping. Otherwise, the hotel is sweet, a little on the pricey side considering the size of the rooms, but not a bad option in any case. Elevators are a little slow. And don't forget to stop by the lounge on second floor when leaving or coming back in if you just want to chill and grab a coffee or cucumber water.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
AMahonAHG, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a reply and for all of your kind words! I am so sorry to hear that the beds were uncomfortable for you - they are usually a favorite feature! On your next visit, please make sure to mention to the front desk regarding your issue so that we can do our best to make your next stay even better!

706 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Czech first
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Nice trendy hotel within walking distance to many sights... easily accessible to many subways. Super friendly and helpful staff... Teddy was especially great! We had a small issue with our first room, but they were very accommodating, and quickly moved us to a different room. Clean rooms! Comfy beds! Nice modern decor! Will definitely recommend to anyone who wants a fun NY experience!

Room Tip: Although some rooms don't have a view, the suites are especially spacious, and have a nice big w...
AMahonAHG, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post on our property! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post such a nice review! We hope you will come back and stay with us again soon!
Ottawa, Ont.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wife and I were in NY for the first time from Oct 4-7, 2012. We booked The Moderne with a flight+hotel package and it was the best deal we found.

We arrived in the evening and had a quick check in, the concierge explained the hotel amenities and offered to help with anything we needed during our stay.

Room was really nice, clean and modern. Very comfortable king size bed with fresh linens and pillows. The bathroom was clean and had everything you would need for a weekend away. The rain shower was a nice surprise too. The room is not big compared to normal hotel rooms but from what I hear, pretty standard for New York.

The guest lounge was convenient in the morning where you could grab fruit, coffee cake, coffee, tea and water before heading out for the day.

The concierges were all very pleasant and helpful in making dinner reservations, calling us a taxi and pointing us in the right direction depending on what we had planned. I arranged for a bottle of champagne to be delivered to the hotel upon our arrival and they ensured it was chilled in the mini-fridge when we arrived (although providing us with champagne glasses would have been a nice touch).

The Moderne is in a great location; walking distance to Central Park and Times Square and only a block to 7th Ave subway which will get you anywhere.

I would recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a funky, clean, well staffed spot in Manhattan.

Room Tip: Don't expect much of a view.
AMahonAHG, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post on our property and for your great review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and sincerely appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. Hopefully we've encouraged you to come back and visit again soon!
Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed at this hotel at the beginning of October 2012 and overall it was a fine hotel. I was in town for business so the location seemed good and the rate was not so bad. This is not a business hotel (it’s more for tourists) so you will get families with kids running up and down the halls (as I did). Now overall I thought the room was adequate but I was the only one staying in the room. If I were here with my husband I think it would have been just on the side of being too small mostly because the bathroom is incredibly small no matter how big the room size is.
Now I paid the same rate as my colleague and he got a much bigger room then I did - his had a full seating area and a lovely big window (same size bathroom). It was bright and airy. I had a regular size room (which was at least half the size) and there was no window (well there is but it is inches from a wall so there is no light that gets in). The room is essentially a cave. I didn't have a huge problem with it but it can get a bit depressing if you are staying there for an extended period of time.
The location is great, the bed was comfortable, the room was clean, and the common room had apples, water/coffee/tea all the time and pound cake in the am. It was nice. Beware though of the fiji water on the bedside table – it is not free (there was no paper on it indicating there was a cost but if you read the mini bar menu it is listed).
On the con side the bathroom is small and the shower is ill conceived as water always poured out onto the small bathroom floor (it would take 2 towels to mop up all the water). The darkness of the room is why I would not go back. I know I got the smaller room as I asked for a “quiet” room (and the one with the window is across from a construction site) however they put me on the second floor which means I heard everyone getting off the extremely slow elevators (and I mean slow) to go to the common room. Not so quite starting as early as 6:00 am.
Finally, the front desk service was good (early check-in) and probably the friendliest service I have received in a long time (I forget her name but she was the most genuinely nice person I have met in in the service industry since I stayed at the dazzler suites juncal in Buenos Aires). Having said, that the doorman scammed us a bit (and we knew it) - when we checked out and asked for his help in flagging a cab to go to the airport. He told us cabbies won’t go to LaGuardia at 4 pm in the afternoon and got us a private car that was supposed to cost only $6 bucks more than a cab but ended up costing us about $25 more.
Overall the hotel was fine – it’s a three star hotel with not a lot of natural light, small bathrooms, great front desk, clean rooms, and a nice common area. It is a pleasant enough place for a trip to New York.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
AMahonAHG, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post on our property, we appreciate you sharing your experience with others. I am sorry to hear that you felt your hallway was loud, over eighty percent of our guests are business travelers who choose to stay at our property because it is so quiet! Next time you're in the city, please let us know before you make your reservation so that we can ensure you are on a quieter level.

Regarding the bellman and the cab, I am sorry to hear that you felt you were misled. Cab drivers switch shifts between 3:30 and 4:30 so it can be very difficult to get one to go to an airport during this time. There is also no flat fare to LGA, it is metered and does not include the toll. This fare can significantly vary based on the time of day and the amount of traffic you may encounter, our staff encourages a car service as it is always a set price. Thank you for your kind words regarding our front desk staff. We work hard to make sure that every guest has a great experience and it is always nice to hear when someone appreciates it. We hope you will again choose the Moderne on your next visit to Manhattan!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed at the Moderne in June of 2011. I was so impressed by this hotel that I decided to stay for my recent second visit to NYC (October 11 to 15/12) and recommended it to family members from the UK who I was meeting up with for a family reunion. I cannot say enough about the staff at this hotel. They are some of the most polite, helpful people I've ever come across in the hotel industry. The hotel is a small boutique hotel with the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. I was very generously upgraded to a loft suite which made our stay that much more special, although the room I had last year (King room) was just as comfortable, albeit smaller. There is a lounge on the second floor where you can have complimentary coffee, tea, water, fruit and delicious slices of cake in the morning and which, I believe, is open 24 hours for coffee and tea. The location of the Moderne is ideal - a short walk to Times Square, Theatre District, Central Park and a slew of restaurants. My only complaint (if you can call it that) is that the elevator is quite slow, but it's a small price to pay for the luxury of staying in this gem of a hotel with it's outstanding staff that anyone would be hard pressed to find elsewhere. I will definitely stay at this hotel again on my next visit to NYC which, hopefully, will not be too far in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
AMahonAHG, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We are so happy to hear that your second experience was as great as your first! We pride ourselves on our outstanding staff and appreciate all of your kind words regarding them! We hope your family enjoyed themselves and can't wait to see you all again!
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The hotel is a gem in the city. The staff is beyond friendly without being over barring or pushy. The hotel is close to everything -- Times Square, Central Park and the shows on Broadway. But off the beaten path, so it is peaceful at night. Very near good eating, fun bars and most importantly a good subway stop. I don't usually write reviews, but thought this one deserved it. Enjoy!

Room Tip: The elevator is kinda slow so a lower floor is not a bad thing...
AMahonAHG, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience and appreciate you taking the time to share it with others. We also think our staff is pretty great - thanks for spreading the word!
Satellite Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The Moderne(pronounced "MOE DURN") is hotel hospitality at it's finest. Cozy, clean, comfortable and friendly, it provides a quiet, relaxing refuge from the noisy, fast-paced city life just outside it's doors. The young, efficient hotel staff is only the best in the city. In fact, I wanted to adopt a few and bring them home. Fortunately for YOU they decided to stay, waiting to help make your visit just as wonderful as they helped make ours....... YOU'RE NOT THERE YET?!!!
When you do get there, say hi to Ashley( the manager),Victoria, Teddy, Renaldo and others.
You'll be glad you did.

AMahonAHG, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Well hello! Thank you for all of your kind words! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you sharing your experience with others! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future! See you soon!

Been to Moderne Hotel? Share your experiences!