“Excellent Location - Would stay again!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
10% off for Special Rate
Ranked #48 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Excellent Location - Would stay again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

Sorry this review is a little late!

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square the last weekend of June (26th - 29th) and would definitely go back.

Check-in: We arrived in NYC very early (7am) and were at the hotel by 8am. I had not expected to check in at all, but when we dropped our bags off, they told us they were currently cleaning several rooms and that we could check in early around 10am instead of 3pm. We left and ran around Times Square and stopped back at 10am and were told that the room was still was not ready...so, we stopped back in around 1:30..still not ready. I would have been totally fine with not checking in until 3pm as expected if I had not been promised an early check-in time. That was kind of upsetting. But, it is NYC and there was plenty to do while we were waiting, so it was only a minor irritation.

Rooms: Small. But it is NYC and it is hard to find a spacious room unless you are paying top $$ for a suite. For the amount of time we were in the room, it was perfectly fine. FYI: the bathroom is especially small. There was a frig and microwave which was perfect for storing extra drinks and heating up leftovers from lunch/dinner.

Housekeeping: Well, the first two days we were gone all day and did not get back until after 6pm. The room was very clean and we had fresh towels. However, on our last day, we arrived back at the hotel earlier than usual to get ready for a show and the room had not been touched. Housekeeping was on our floor, but way down the other end of the hall. This was at 4:30pm. Keep in mind we left at 8am, so they had 8 1/2 hours to get to our room. So, we told them not to bother and had them switch out all our dirty towels.

Food: there is a restaurant attached to the hotel called Pigalle. Being a Hilton Honors member, we had free breakfast included in our stay. The hotel provides coupons that we were to give to the hostess as we were being seated. I noticed that Hilton Honors members received a totally different menu than regular guests. However, in my opinion, there was a nice selection of about 5 different options to choose from. It was more than enough to get us on our way..and not mention, I would not want to pay full price for the actual menu items. So, if you are not a HH member, you may want to skip eating here and venture out on the streets and experience a good old fashioned street vendor for breakfast!!!

Hotel amenities: The concierge was wonderful. She was able to get us sold out tickets to Chicago and give up directions to anywhere we wanted to go. There is a small pantry in the lobby to buy snacks and beverages. At first I thought they were going to charge and arm and a leg, but we stopped to get some cokes and surprisingly, they were only $1.50.

Location: This was the best part about the hotel. It was less than two blocks to the heart of Times Square and Broadway. Close enough without having to pay tons of $$ to stay close. The red and blue lines were also one block away, which was convenient for connecting to anywhere in the city. There was a grocery store and shops directly across the street and all kinds of bars and restaurants on all corners. We even found a Steeler's bar one block around the corner from our hotel!! Go to Hurley's if you love the Steelers.

The only drawback that I was concerned about when reading all of the reviews on here was the noise from the nearby fire station. All I can say is that we were on the 11th floor on the same side of the street as the fire department and I only heard the trucks a couple of times. This was early evening. However, I never heard them late at night and they did not disrupt our sleep.

If you are looking for a very convenient location, this is absolutely it!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (866)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

Loved it, Great location, Great rooms, Loved it,

5 min walk to Time square, cant beat that.

Great price

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

We chose this hotel form the TripAdisor reviews and it was ideal for us ,Good location,Clean nice size room,Fridge was a nice bonus.Free use of business center.Next time were in NY we are going to stay here.Big Thanks to everyone at this hotel.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

My husband and I just returned from three days in NYC, and we had the good fortune to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. I rated the hotel as Excellent b/c of the fabulous rate we got ($135 for advanced purchase) and for everything we got from this hotel (especially the price), it was a wonderful stay.

The location is great - we were only a couple of blocks from Times Square and Rockefeller Center. We also were within short walking distance of Central Park and Lincoln Square.

The hotel itself was very nice, and our room was quite large - given NY standards. It had a fridge, microwave, big chair, desk, etc. The bathroom, however, was quite small. All was very clean - which is very important to me.

Staff was great - we were able to do an early noon check-in, and do a late 2 pm checkout. It helprf that I was a Hilton Silver member, I'm sure.

Some of the past reviewers did mention noise from the subway/fire house next door. We were on the 14th floor and didn't hear a thing. We actually hear more noise at our condo in Chicago than we did in NYC!

We never at the restaurant onsite (breakfast wasn't included in our rate), and we didn't know about the rooftop bar so we also didn't try that.

I would stay at the Hilton Garden Inn again. Our location, room, and price were perfect.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

Well I will keep the hotel review brief as other reviews pretty much cover what we thought......excellent - very clean, modern, great location, definitely more 4* than 3*! We asked for a room on a high floor and were given one on the top floor. Fantastic hotel. Only problem we had was that when being checked in we were asked for a credit card just in case of any damages we made; we didn't have one so had to use our cash passport with all our holiday money on it. This was swiped and given back to us - what they didn't tell us was that there was a reserve of $50 a day which made it quite a surprise when our card was declined in a shop down in SOHO. The manager called the card company straight away and asked them to release the hold and this was done a couple of hours later. I understand this was a fault with the card company not the hotel; however, we overheard another guest complaining that this happened on her credit card so I believe that we should have been warned this could happen on preloaded and credit cards.

Now, to the bit they don't tell you in the brochures.......we asked the concierge about rooftop bars, and she said there's actually one on top of the hotel. The entrance is round the corner on 48th street and all you have to do is show your room key and the doormen let you in. Now we did this on a weekday and it was fine, quite quiet, managed to get some photos of the amazing view and very classy bar! However, on the saturday there was a guestlist and although they did let us in, the doorman seemed very reluctant to do so - there's obviously some agreement between the hotel and the bar to let hotel guests in. That night was full of socialites and businessmen, and we saw John Mayer there! We did feel a bit uncomfortable but you definitely have to experience it!! I've since read that Vogue and GQ staff are regulars there, and they had the Ugly Betty season premiere there....and many celebritites such as Rihanna, Tyra Banks, Victoria Beckham, Kevin Spacey and Scarlett Johanssen have been/go there regularly. What a fabulous little gem!!! Go to www.highbarnyc.com for more info on it.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square for a weekend in NYC. I had spent hours reading reviews on TripAdvisor trying to find the perfect hotel at the perfect price. The Hilton Garden Inn Times Square was rated highly (especially for cleanliness) and I got a AAA rate that was more than reasonable for a 300+ sq. ft room (which sounds like it's incredibly hard to find in NYC). While I originally wanted to find something hip and fun, I'm very happy I went with the "safe" bet and stayed at the HGITS. From check-in to check-out the experience was fantastic. We arrived at noon on a Saturday and were allowed to check-in early. We were even given a choice of a high or low floor room. (I had requested an early check-in when I booked directly through the hotel's website online, but requests are not always guaranteed.) Assuming that street noise might be worse on a low floor, we happily chose a high floor room. The elevator (always readily available during our stay) took us to the 15th floor and we settled in before experiencing the city. The room had a luxurious king sized bed with adjustable firmness, a view towards the Hudson, a large desk, flat screen tv, and our favorite - an empty fridge and microwave. We were able to save a lot of money by bringing our own bottle of wine and beer, water and even some snacks - all of which we could store in the fridge. No separate mini bar - but we would never pay ridiculous mini bar prices so there was no loss there. (There was also a "Food Emporium" on the corner of 8th and 49th I think, where we could buy more snacks and even a rotisserie chicken and sides to microwave in our room.) The bathroom was not large or flashy but had a tub/shower combo, a nice mirror and decent lighting for makeup application. There was also a full length mirror in the hallway. We went out to see the sights and stopped back to the hotel around 2:00 AM before going to a pub across the street for a nightcap. The doorman checked our room keys which I thought was reassuring. When we were approaching our room we heard incredibly loud techno music coming from a mysterious door at the end of the hall. Upon entering the room however, it didn't seem nearly as loud so the soundproofing must be pretty effective. We came to find that our room was next to a place that I think was called High Bar. While it didn't bother us since we got back at 3 AM, I'm not sure whether people retiring earlier might be bothered by a relatively faint noise - it was louder in the bathroom than the bedroom! We got back to the hotel considerably earlier on Sunday night and noise wasn't an issue at all. When we stopped at the front desk to make sure we could have our bags held until we left around 7:30 PM on Monday, the staff member offered to give us a late check-out at 2 PM on top of a promise that holding bags would not be a problem. It was accommodating gestures like the early/late arrivals and departures that motivated me to write a review - while I always read the reviews of hotels/restaurants etc. I've never written one! Check-out was a breeze and we were able to pick up our bags after coming back from a taping of the Daily Show (our whole reason for going to NYC). Parking was around $85 (after hotel validation, tip not included) next to the hotel from noon on Sat. to 7:30 PM Monday. It was described as "self park" but the garage attendants take the keys from you and park it on lifts and you don't see it again until you leave (unless you want to pay more)! Through my hours of research on other hotels I found this to be a good parking rate for the area. I would definitely recommend the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square to anyone, especially young couples like us - maybe not for a 5-star glitzy honeymoon but definitely for a great little getaway in the city!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

I found that there was a promotion for this hotel, I had booked another but this rate was cheaper, better location & I am a member of the hhonors program so we decided it was worth a try. There is a parking garage adjacent to the hotel that gives you a discount for being a hotel guest. The price for an suv was $40 night (which we split with friends so it wasn't bad). I had requested early check in on the website but when we arrived around 11am our room was not ready. We checked our bags with the bellman and off we went. We literally took a left out the front door and then a right, walked a block and we were in times square. Awesome location. Just a heads up though, there are people every few feet trying to sell discount bus tours. We got stopped several times. It is a great way to see the city and I recommend it as you really get a lay of the land, so to speak, as well as transportation to attractions and information about the city in the process. We were a 5 minute walk from the Richard Rogers theater which is where we were seeing In the Heights (great show!!!!). I cannot say enough about the location. The doormen were helpful. We went back a couple hours later and were able to check in. They were going to call us when our rooms were ready but never did. We took a chance going back at 2pm and they were checking other people in. Also, we asked if we could be on the same floor as our friends. Originally we were separated by 2 floors and the person we first spoke with said there was nothing available together. Upon actually checking in, we were put on the same floor (14). We had a corner room facing the Hudson River. Our friends were on the other side and a had a limited view. Our room was huge. Theirs was a bit smaller but still larger than we expected for NYC, especially after researching different hotels. We both had fridges, microwaves and coffee makers. The room was clean. I didn't notice any noise unless I went right up to the window and listened to the outside traffic. We tried to use the concierge but the line was long and she was slow. We wanted to go to the roof top bar but it was under renovation. That was a little disappointing. There was a good diner across the street for breakfast, quick, good & reasonably priced. We were close to gray line bus tours, a fire house, theater district & of course, Times Square. It was easy to get to (driving from New England) not the driving nightmare we anticipated. If you use the parking garage be prepared to drive in and take everything that you need with you. They collect your keys and off you go, you don't see your vehicle again until you're picking it up. Make sure you get validation from the hotel so you pay the discounted rate. We checked out of our rooms early Sun morning, as we had a tour at the Statue of Liberty. Again, we checked our bags and off we went. No hassle picking them up at 5pm that night. We wanted to use the rest rooms before our trip home and the clerk at the desk said they only allowed the rest rooms to be used by guests - you need to get a key (your room key also works). We told him we had just checked out and he let us use them. That was one of the only weird things we experienced. We would definitely return to this hotel. We paid $149 night. What a bargain.

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — That the roof top bar was under renovation.
  • Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Times Square? Share your experiences!