“Promised much but delivered very little” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ameritania Hotel

You added Ameritania Hotel to your Saves list
Ameritania Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   230 West 54th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #128 of 464 Hotels in New York City
“Promised much but delivered very little”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I was really disappointed in the accommodation in this hotel, I have stayed in New York many times and found the Ameritania at the bottom of my list, the room we had was far too small and on asking for an upgrade to a larger room we were told to ask again tomorrow, the staff were rude did not make eye contac and unresponsive apart from the door staff who were informative and accommodating and definitely aimed to please.
The location of this hotel is really good it is a shame the accommodation and staff don't match that...time for staff training I think.

Room Tip: Avoid this one if you are looking for comfort and politeness
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I stayed here with 43 high school students as part of an EF tour, and the Ameritania was perfect for us. The staff was friendly and accommodating, the rooms were typically New York small -- but very comfortable. The beds and pillows are first rate, and were very much appreciated after a long, exciting day of walking for miles in this vibrant city. The location couldn't be better --right off Broadway, but not quite in the noise and bright lights of Times Square. I will most definitely return to the Ameritania when I return with my husband.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Bellaire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

we wanted to be close to the Ed Sullivan Theatre and this filled the bill. rooms are small and recently renovated. the size of room was not an issue with us as we were steps away from the theatre. staff was friendly. the few problems we had with not getting towels, toilet paper and kleenex, was taken care of promptly, when brought to the front desk's attention. the bellman was EXCELLENT, in advising and assisting us with transportation to the airport.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear John H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I am happy to know that you had a great stay and that all of your requests were taken care of promptly by our excellent staff. Looking forward to see you again soon!

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Wonderful hotel situated halfway between central park and times square next to late show. Very charming, modern decor and comfortable. Rooms are great, beds are very comfortable. Service was the best I have ever experienced at any hotel. 7 total in our party, 3 rooms (came to see NYC after attending my daughters graduation from Villanova in Philly). All in our party loved the place. Best part about this little gem - Jeff the bellman!!! This guy rocks. Made you feel like you were coming home every time you returned. Jeff was also spot on with all types of suggestions for getting around, restaurants etc. Never made it to the fitness center with central park being 4 blocks away.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear David C,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us! From the looks of your review, you truly did enjoy your stay with us. I have shared your feedback with our entire Team, and they are all appreciative!! We hope to see you again soon!

Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This hotel is in a very good location near to Times Square and a few metro stations.
The rooms are relatively spacious and the fittings all seem modern.

However, there are a few problems. There were only two accessible power points in the room, with one used by the fridge and the other by a lamp. You could unplug the lamp, but one power point is not enough these days, when most travellers have multiple devices to charge.

Which brings me to the biggest issue. Not only do you have to pay for average wifi ($10 per day or $25 for three days; more for premium), it turns out it will only work for one device! This is not made clear before you pay. These days paying for wifi, particularly slow wifi (literally dialup speed most of the time), is bad enough when you pay hundreds already for a hotel room. You shouldn't have to pay extra for each device you or your travelling partner has. If I had known this before booking, we would've gone elsewhere. The hotel should seriously reconsider this policy. We overheard a number of other guests complaining about this.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Blahoz,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We hope that you enjoyed your visit to NYC. Please know that I have shared your feedback with our team to ensure improvement in the future and we highly value your suggestions. For a future reservation, please feel free to email me directly at smatos@ameritanianyc.com, and I will include the WiFi service complimentary for you as our repeat guest. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Stone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

If you're after a hotel on the corner of Broadway, and in between Times Square and Central Park, this hotel is for you! Centrally located this was ideal for our base with only staying for 3 nights. The staff were helpful and friendly, and there is a large, clean and modern reception area with comfy seating (just what is needed after a busy last day while you're waiting for the taxi to arrive!). Our room was rather small, with not much space to even open my suitcase fully, however the style and cleanliness of the room could not be faulted. The bathroom was quite spacious with a large shower and all the usual trimmings! We didn't use the bar while we were there or have breakfast at the hotel so I can't comment on that. The only thing for me that lets the hotel down from the outside is the sign that runs down the side of the hotel, it's in need of a refresh and doesn't reflect the inside of the hotel - but this of course will not affect your stay!! I would most definitely stay at this hotel again though, not over priced for the fantastic location, and only a 5 minute walk to the subway and hop on hop off bus stop.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Laura V,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcome you back for a future visit.

Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

It was a nice trip
Good accomodation
Nice facilities however my room is very noisy :-)
The hotel has accepted to change my room the first day ... very easly but it was the change ... noisy hotel for the rest, it was fine :-)

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear 731camilep,

Thank you for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community. It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back for another stay in the near future. For your next visit, please email me directly at smatos@ameritanianyc.com, and I will make sure you are allocated an extra quiet room on the hotels interior.

Thanks again,

Sarah Matos

Been to Ameritania Hotel? Share your experiences!