“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ameritania Hotel

You added Ameritania Hotel to your Saves list
Ameritania Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   230 West 54th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #120 of 461 Hotels in New York City
Dunfermline, Fife
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

We stayed here for a week in early March 2015. The hotel is in a great location on W54th Street between Broadway and 7th Avenue. It is very noisy outside which was what we expected, ear plugs were required to get a decent nights sleep.

Room was a good size and clean.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

Only negative was the bar has limited hours. Plenty places nearby.

Would recommend largely due to its great location.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I stayed from the 16th - 23rd march, checking in and out was polite and quick, the hotel was very clean and about 5 minute walk to times square and 10 minutes to central park, the rooms themselves were quite small, but very tidy and Cosey with the best waterfall showers.
The doorman ( i cant quite remember his name but he was from london ), helped us sort transport out back to the hotel which was easy and cheap.

all together this hotel is a wonderful find and i highly recommend it to anyone travelling to new york, its close to everything you possibly need and near the subway which is easy to catch.

would just like to thank the hotel and everyone who made our stay lovely!

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed for a few nights to attend a conference at the NY Hilton on 6th and 54th. I don't like the hustle and bustle of those big conference hotels, so I searched for a boutique hotel nearby. Just 2 blocks straight down 54th is the Ameritania.

The staff is very friendly and welcoming - check in/out a breeze. I had a single room that came with a queen bed and ample storage, decorated in a sleek style. The room was sized well-enough for a solo traveler who just needed a place to sleep. Everything was very clean, modern, functional, and comfortable. I slept well each night, and the shower was great - rain shower or hand-held. A breakfast is offered for about $12 that is very reasonable. There are many breakfast and dining options nearby.

The lobby is well-appointed with a bar. The location is very convenient to museums like MoMA, Rockefeller Center, shopping, and neighborhoods.

This hotel seems to get a lot of group travelers. It can be a little busy when they check-in, but otherwise it's really not an issue. There are at least two elevators that handle the traffic.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor that does not face the street.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Judson_Trapnell, Manager at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear stephenrappaport,

Thanks for telling us about your stay! I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and that our location was convenient for you to explore the city.

Be sure to visit our website and enter promo code "return" for a discounted rate on your next booking!

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best Regards,

Long Island NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Found this hotel via Jetsetter. Liked the hotel. Great Location. Rooms were nice. Booked for two nights to catch a Broadway show and the Radio City Spring Spectacular. The first night we got back to the room before 11pm. Immediately we were amazed by the ongoing car honking from the street nine floors below. It was so repetitive that one might think it was actually programmed. It was tough to fall asleep but eventually did. Next morning the wake up was the onslaught of more horns blasting. My wife and I both grew up in the city on busy streets with trains passing close by on the el. So we know the drill with city noise and have a high tolerance for it. This was absurd. Maybe it was just the one night? The second night we were back to the room earlier since it was matinee day followed by an early dinner. The honking was just as bad as the night before. It was after 11pm before the honking eased up. The next morning's wake up came at 4:58am with horns blasting again. I've never been so happy to be heading home and catch up on my sleep. We checked out before 9am. I did notice a couple of reviewers mentioned the honking and one mentioned ear plugs were provided. My wife said she saw the ear plugs were there. But really?
Two other factors likely affected the rough sleep experience. The beds were uncomfortable to say the least. I usually don't have issues with beds when I travel. Secondly, the thermostat had a mind of its own. I set it for 74 degrees. And the unit kept running and running. And the room got hotter and hotter. I had to get up to shut it down both nights and found it was now 84 degrees in the room.
After the first night with the honking I was thinking giving the hotel a 3 rating. A second night of torture got it to the rating above. I kinda recall seeing a story in the past year or two that NYC was actually removing the "DON'T HONK" signs. I don't remember the logic behind it. But the city could solve its budget problems easily by ticketing the cowboys that use their horns for frivolous reasons.
I won't be returning to the Ameritania any time soon. And not likely to recommend it either solely on the basis of something that is mainly out of their control.
Also a comment on the WiFi. I registered online for 3 days. When I attempted access I was not successful. I called the number listed on the screen for assistance. It's a third party vendor and not the hotel. The rep immediately directed me to the settings on my ipad and asked me for the IP address. I never had to provide it before in all my travels. It just seemed to mirror the scam artist methods used by the caller who said he was from the Microsoft Technical Department (which doesn't exist or call customers). So I just hung up. When I went to front desk later I was actually looking to get my money back. But the rep was good seeing my uneasiness with their vendor and provided me with an access code for the remainder of my stay.

Room Tip: maybe a room on the 7th Avenue side wouldn't get the car honking noise as bad as on the 54 Stree...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Judson_Trapnell, Manager at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear kevinm709NY,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm sorry to hear that you were bothered by the traffic noises. We would have gladly moved you to one of our interior rooms, which do not face the street and are much quieter. In the future, be sure to request an interior room as New York City does tend to be loud with horns, sirens and the like.

If I may be of assistance with a future reservation, please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly at jtrapnell@ameritanianyc.com

Tooele
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Our room was quite small for a "Deluxe King Suite". There was barely enough room to skirt around the bed. There was also a very large mirror leaning against the wall making it even more difficult to get around the bed. The "Closet" was just a coat rack on the wall next to the bed. Overall the room was quiet and clean, but the building is showing it's age.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Robert C,

Thanks for taking the time to share your review with us on TripAdvisor! I'm happy to hear that you had a good stay overall and invite you to come back for another visit soon. Please feel free to email me at jtrapnell@ameritanianyc.com and I will make sure that you are allocated one of our largest king rooms.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The rain shower was unreal. Each of my friends had trouble getting out it was so enjoyable! The bathroom lighting was fantastic and we had a great view. The lobby was gorgeous, and the room service was immediate and friendly. They catered to everything we asked for. Thanks for a wonderful experience in New York!

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Alaysha M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I am very happy to know that you had a great stay with us and that you enjoyed the room accommodations. Looking forward to welcome you back soon for another visit!

Best Regards,

Judson
Waterdown, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We really enjoyed our stay but I’ll start with this issues: The room seemed very cool and there was a lot of road noise, as if the window wasn't closed properly.

I tried to use the fitness facility every day and the 2nd day the TV was gone & it wasn't replaced at all.

We had the continental breakfast a few mornings. One day the restaurant was in use and the back room was used for the breakfast. There was no power and we could not get boiled eggs. The attendant was trying hard, even trying to boil them in a water kettle, but we eventually had to put them in the microwave.

The good points: The staff was wonderful! Everyone was pleasant, tried hard and were helpful. And I had a great margarita in the lounge!

The room was small but comfortable. We have CPCP machines and there weren't enough power outlets for them and out electronic devices. But house claeaning brough up some extention cords

The location was ideal. We walked to Central Park one day, Times Square every day, Macy's, Greenwich Village. There were restaurants & pubs all over the place. And we enjoyed the 3 Monkeys more than a few times.

This was the perfect location for what we wanted to do!

We really enjoyed ourselves. We will be back within a couple of years with about a half dozen friends and will recommend the Ameritania.

Michael

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Michael A,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! I really appreciate your comments, both positive and constructive, and will certainly look into the concerns that your raised.

I'm pleased to hear that our staff was helpful during your stay. In my opinion, they are the best part of our hotel!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Director of Rooms

Been to Ameritania Hotel? Share your experiences!