“They charge you for EVERYTHING” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ameritania Hotel

You added Ameritania Hotel to your Saves list
Ameritania Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   230 West 54th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #119 of 457 Hotels in New York City
“They charge you for EVERYTHING”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The hotel is very modern and the rooms are very spacious. The bathroom is really cold, specially during the winter. Beware, they charge you for everything in the room. A water bottle $7, a snickers $7... Well you get the idea. Make sure that you ask prices and double check if something is complementary. The prices are triple of what you pay outside; sometimes even more. The location is great. You can easily walk everywhere. There is a subway right next to the hotel which is open 24/7. The room was very clean and the bathroom as well. If it wasn't because the wi-fi is not included I would consider staying there again. There are a lot of hotels in the area with a better location and wi-fi included for the same price or even less.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Judson_Trapnell, Manager at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Stephanie M,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts with us. I'm glad to hear that the hotel was comfortable and that the location was convenient for your needs while in the city.

You are correct in your comments about the prices of our mini bar items, but I can assure you that our prices are commensurate with many other New York City hotels. The mini bar is there as a convenient option and many guests do use it. There are a great deal of delis and convenience stores within walking distance of the hotel, where you can find similar items, should you wish to purchase a snack or beverage.

For your next visit, we'd be happy to remove the mini bar tray and lock the fridge, just let us know in advance.

Many thanks and warm regards,

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

I stayed in this hotel when coming on a vacation from the UK, the hotel wasn't the cleanest but there was no extreme or terrible issue. The staff did not provide customer service that was welcoming or pleasant. The beds were however okay and the bathrooms were decent sized. Would not stay here again unless a great deal was offered.

• Stayed December 2014
Dear newyorkbuddy,

Thank you for your note. I am so sorry to hear about your experience and that your felt our staff was rude. This is not the norm for us (as you can probably tell from other guest feedback) as we always strive to provide excellent service in an warm and friendly manner.

If you would like to tell me more about your experience or if you'd like to come back for another visit, please feel free to contact me directly at jtrapnell@ameritanianyc.com

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This turned out to be my best stay in New York City. It started a little rough since I was given 'an express room' to begin with. However, the staff reaction to my dissatisfaction with the first room was first rate and I'm so glad I chose the Ameritania for my 3 night stay. I will use it again.

You won't find a better location for any price in Midtown. An easy walk to Time Square, Rockefeller Center, theaters and Central Park. There's a subway station practically across the street. Great eating within a block. I felt safe traveling alone. You are in the heart of Midtown.

They have a very welcoming, friendly staff. Always a smile and greeting. Good directions from the front desk.

The rooms are not uniform and some are small. This is a boutique hotel - not a cookie cutter, mass market hotel where every room is identical. The prices reflect the differences in size and book a larger room (2 beds) if it matters to you. I had a room with one double bed and it was more typical of hotels I've used in Europe. I felt the size was fine for one person and would be fine for two people without a lot of luggage.

At first I was given what they call an express room - this is a room that they expect someone will stay in for one night and not spend much time in the room. It was one of the very small number of rooms they have without a closet. When I said that I was here on business and really needed a closet, they sent someone to my room (to save me a trip to the front desk) with a key for another room. It had a desk, a closet large enough for 3 days and was very nice.

I found the rooms to be stylish and clean. Great bathroom with a large shower. A good tv, comfortable bed, a nice clock with ipod input.

There are a few things that could be better. This hotel is on a street with a bar so noise can be a factor in the lower floors (they provide complimentary ear plugs which is nice for something that they cannot control). No free wifi but I find most hotel wifi to be poor and there is a starbucks across the street with free access. They will also lend you a tablet with wifi in the lobby. Did not eat in the hotel since so many great delis/restaurants close by.

Highly recommended for the location, friendly staff and good value. Not a good choice if you require a large room or lots of fancy stuff. You can pay more for that at other hotels nearby.

Room Tip: Lower floors can be noisy. Some rooms (the less expensive ones) are small so book according to your...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
New Haven, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

What a fabulous trip! The hotel is literally 2 blocks from all the excitement of times square. We came into New York to celebrate my daughters 13th birthday. I was alone with 2 teenagers girls. The staff at the hotel was amazing! They answered all of my questions and even googled directions for me when I needed them. A special thanks to Said the bellman who opened doors, walked with us, hailed us cabs and even made sure our car was there at 6:30 am when we had to depart for the airport. Sarah, Janet and Crystal at the front desk are amazing. they helped order edible arrangements for my daughter on her birthday and had them delivered to the room while we were out, and even put a special note and gift on the bed for her from the staff! The rooms were clean, and very well priced. I will absolutely stay with here again!!!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Great central location and a short walk from Times Square. Close to subways and cost us $5 from the train station in a taxi.

The room itself was ok and the bathroom was a wet room. We stayed three nights and on occasions the bed was made but bathroom wasn't cleaned thoroughly still rubbish left.

There was no tea or coffee making facility in the room but there was complimentary tea or coffee down stairs in the breakfast room. The continental breakfast was $11.95 + tax. We never ordered this and for what was available it was very expensive. You can get a lot better for less. The staff were very polite and helpful.

We were offered a minibus to JFK when we were leaving for a cost of $60 and it would take about an hour. We checked out at 12.00 and got the subway arrived at JFK in 40 mins and for under $20.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear serena021,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was helpful and attentive. I'm sorry to hear that the room attendants servicing your room did not do a very thorough job with the bathroom. We will address this with the staff and retrain as needed.

We hope you will think of us the next time you are planning a trip to New York. Be sure to visit our websites for current promotions and great rates.

Kind Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Very good hotel in a perfect mid town location in NYC!

The hotel is perfectly located for Broadway theaters and minutes' walk from 5th and 6th ave, Central Park, and Line 1 of the Subway. The lobby is very comfortable and the concierge is mostly helpful, rooms are comfortable and pretty. Heating in the room is a bit noisy but effective. The staff is very helpful at the front desk.
prices were good for the season. Recommended.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Iris r,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I am happy to know that you had a great stay. Looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Best Regards,

Judson
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The hotel is perfectly located for Broadway theaters and minutes' walk from 5th ave, Central Park, and Line 1 of the Subway. The lobby decor is impressive, rooms are well-designed and renovated. The staff is very helpful.

Room Tip: Lower floors front rooms are noisy - better ask for rear/upper floors. Pricing via Hotels.com for th...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Dear AlonDean,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I am delighted to know that you had a great stay with us and look forward to welcome you back soon for another visit.

Best Regards,

Judson

Been to Ameritania Hotel? Share your experiences!