“Most Difficult Review EVER” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ameritania Hotel

Save Saved
You added Ameritania Hotel to your Saves list
Ameritania Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   230 West 54th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #129 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Most Difficult Review EVER”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Bad stuff first – The ZERO STAR Hotel
Room 821 was allocated on arrival and ranks as the worst room we have ever had in any hotel. It should be converted back to the broom cupboard it so clearly began as or, at best, made into a single room. For this 6 night PRE-BOOKED & PRE PAID stay it was totally unacceptable. When we complained the staff were empathetic but the duty manager was totally uninterested. Her attitude was very much like ‘your point being?’ and merely stated we would have to wait until the next day for a better larger room. During the night we couldn't help but stub our toes on the bed legs, banged shins and knees against the furniture and had to move the furniture to allow us to open our suitcases. We had to wrap handtowels around the bed legs to prevent injury and move the dresser to beneath the clothes rail in order get round the bed. Ridiculous is the only way to describe the mirror and the space it occupied in such a tiny room.
After an extremely painful first night we were moved to room 707 for the remaining 5 nights. This was perfectly OK and exactly what we were expecting given the brochure description and photographs. However, there was no offer of a refund or consideration for this unacceptable first night. Had this better room not been available, we would have checked out without staying a single night.
Now the good stuff – you are very close to Times Square and most theatres.
Our final room was clean and comfortable with an excellent bathroom. The rest of the staff are friendly and extremely helpful. We didn’t eat in the hotel or use any of the other amenities so cannot comment.
As a place to stay for a first visit to NY, it was a good location. However, had we been told our first room was ‘it’ we would have walked out without staying a single night REGARDLESS of how much money we lost.
Booking this hotel is a lottery. You will either be extremely disappointed or reasonably happy with the room you are allocated.

Room Tip: Room facing the street are very noisy but, you're in the centre of a city that never sleeps - fr...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Very bad experience! I leave some things that I bought in the room like any other person do and when we arrive at night we were so tired so we sleep. The next morning getting ready for the check out, I found that many things were missing. A new jeans, some t-shirts that I bought as a souvenir and a box of shoes. You dont expect this when you are on a vacation. I can only think that someone that have access to the room stole it. I tried to get an answer from this success but nothing, just nothing on the lost and found. The first time that something like this happen to me.

Room Tip: Stay away!! Beware of 10th floor!
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Ramon P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on TripAdvisor. I am very sorry to hear about your lost items. I did some investigating, and do see in our log that you had inquired with the front desk about some articles left behind in the room. We checked our lost and found log as well as the storage area for lost and found items, and unfortunately, nothing was found.

I can assure you that no one from our staff took your belongings from your room. We have a seasoned and trustworthy team of room attendants who are well aware of the consequences of such misconduct.

Please feel free to contact me directly at jtrapnell@ameritanianyc.com if you have any follow-up questions or concerns.

Wilderville, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Super friendly, helpful staff. Reasonably-priced hotel that feels like a boutique you can be proud of. Very quiet comfortable room with good climate control and excellent bath design. We especially appreciated being able to "try out" the very-high rain style shower head and hand wand which we want to duplicate in our house remodel. Outstanding upgrades and service all around.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Joy B,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I am very happy to know that your stay was great and that the hotel was to your liking. Looking forward to welcome you back for a future stay!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

A large group if us stayed here for a week. All staff we excellent, friendly and welcoming. A special shout out to Jeff at concierge. He was always happy to help with our questions and arranging taxis etc. such a lovely and genuine character. Our room great, lots of room for a city centre property. And I just wanted to take that mirror home! It was noisy at night due to traffic but that's to be expected if you choose a city centre spot. It did not bother us. Housekeeping staff were great. We came back every evening to a spotless and tidy room. I will be returning to New York within the year and I will definitely be staying in this gem of a hotel. Thank you for making our stay so memorable

Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Dear TGrethe8,

Thank you so much for your kind review! I am thrilled to learn that your stay with us was pleasant and that Jeff was able to assist you with transportation and other inquiries during your visit. I will surely pass on your compliments to the staff. Hoping to welcome you back soon!

Wells, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This hotel has perfect location, so close to time square and central park, but far enough away from the noise. Very clean, comfy bed and a good size room. The Bellman - Jeff were exceptionally helpful, courteous and professional. Only downside is paid wifi, i think it should be included in room price.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Ealdwine,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I am very happy to know that your stay was great and that Jeff was able to help make your stay more enjoyable.

For your next visit, be sure to visit our website and enter promo code "thankyou" to receive a discounted repeat guest rate.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Judson
Tenafly, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I spent the weekend in the City for a girlfriend get-away and we stayed here because it was reasonably priced and the only hotel that could guarantee us two double beds. The location is great - near the theater district, the park, shopping, etc. The room was clean and the beds incredibly comfortable. The staff was universally nice - always greeting us in and out each day. The room - like most other NY hotels - was small, but plenty of light. My only beef is that there is a great wall size mirror on the wall in the entrance area of the room, but no light in the hall! Made it pretty much useless. Also, no view at all (brick buildings outside both walls), but we didn't come for the view - the shades really do keep all the dark out, so we were able to get sleep! Also the pipes tend to squeak, but it really wasn't bad overnight.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Dear NJLawMom,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and your time in New York City.

When you are planning your next weekend getaway, be sure to visit our website and enter promo code "thankyou" to receive a repeat guest discount of your next stay!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

south portland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

While the location was ideal for our theater outing, the hotel property itself was unattractive with small rooms. My disappointment concerns the first room we were given- it was on a hallway that smelled pervasively of urine. In response to my call to the desk, they did not offer to change my room. They sent up a woman who sprayed air freshener in the hallway. I later went to the front desk and demanded a new room. The bell man showed me the room and it smelled of must/mildew. I returned to the front desk and asked for a different room. On the third try we had a very small room that did not smell. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear cathySoPo,

Thank you for taking a moment to provide us with feedback from your stay. I am truly sorry to hear about the unpleasant smell you experienced. This is the first I have ever heard of such a smell, and I will certainly investigate and get to the bottom of it.

I recognize that we did not make a stellar first impression, but I would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back for a much improved experience.

Please feel free to email me directly at jtrapnell@ameritanianyc.com if I can assist with a future booking. I will personally see that you are well looked after!

Thanks again for your review. Hope to see you again soon.

Judson Trapnell

Been to Ameritania Hotel? Share your experiences!