“Michael Hill” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ameritania Hotel

You added Ameritania Hotel to your Saves list
Ameritania Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   230 West 54th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #124 of 457 Hotels in New York City
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Michael Hill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

The Ameritainia is a great Hotel. Good Reception. Wonderful beds. All amenities. very friendly Staff. Didn't try breakfast we wanted to eat at local Dynners with the locals which was great. The Hotel is rite on West 54th street close to all the sites of New York. Broadway. Times Square. Well worth a stay here. Would book again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear elvisthekin,

Thank you so much for your great feedback! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Judson Trapnell.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Turkish first
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights at this Hotel. Great location round the corner from Broadway and Times Square! Room was small and very noisy due to the Air Conditioning unit so didn't get much sleep.
Staff were not very helpful and seemed almost put out if you asked anything, which was a shame.
Would not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Susan K,

Thank you very much for emailing us and providing us with feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel's location.

In regards to your experience with the room and staff, I am deeply sorry to hear that it was not as expected. We thrive in achieving outstanding customer service and I assure you that procedures are in place to continue to improve. I will take your review into consideration and will address these issues with our staff. I do hope you give us another chance in the future. Please feel free to email me directly at jtrapnell@ameritanianyc.com , and I can accommodate you into a nice quiet room. Thank you once again.

Gympie, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

The impact of this hotel's ambience is immediate and infectious. It is funky, fun and inviting.

And even better is the location! Located on Broadway, every Times Square/Broadway option is within a quick walk. There's a number of subway options located within a block or two and Central Park is a few blocks north. It really was a terrific home base!

The rooms are clean and comfortable with lovely bathroom products.

There is one issue I encountered that was very disappointing! Although the website stated that all rooms had a writing desk, this turned out to not be the case. I had selected this hotel for the writing desk as this was a business trip and was quite frustrated when I received a room without one. While nothing could be done on the first night of my visit, I was provided with a room with a desk for the remainder of my stay.

Overall, a great hotel with so many locational benefits.

Room Tip: Be sure to check that your room has a desk if that is important to you during your stay.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear tourismteach,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us on TripAdvisor! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and our lively, contemporary atmosphere.

I am sorry to hear that we were unable to accommodate your request for a room with a desk for your first night. Most of our rooms do have desks, but when we are at high occupancy, we aren't always able to honor every guest request. Please feel free to contact me directly for your next booking and I will see to it that you have a fantastic with a desk.

Thanks again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Huntington Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

The location could not have been better as this hotel is perfectly sandwiched between Times Square and Central Park. It is on the corner of Broadway but around the corner so it is not so loud and bright as some reviewers seem to imply. Very comfortable beds and rooms, great staff, and did I mention perfect location? We easily walked to our Broadway show as well as to Central Park and Grand Central Station. Yes, the rooms are small, but our family of 5 did fit with some creativity. I did not like that WiFi was not free (for as much as we paid!) the rooms are dimly lit, and the little desk space that is available is taken up with dozens of snacks and drinks for sale at only $7.00 a pop...keep your kids away from that!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Dear Tom,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are delighted that you and your family chose The Ameritania for your vacation and that you enjoyed the hotel's fantastic location.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly for your next reservation and I would be happy to provide you with complimentary WIFI for your stay. My email address is jtrapnell@ameritanianyc.com

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Renfrewshire, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Great little hotel in a great location. Staff were all very helpful. Concierge was good enough to book us a transfer back to hotel on last day at a good price. Will gladly stay here again and would recommend to all!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear at10_10,

Thank you for your kind review! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Excellent place to stay in the heart of New York. Clean rooms with comfortable beds. Nice modern designs. Close to Time Square, central park, theatres & all the great shops. I have already recommended this hotel due to its location & exceptional value

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Dear Adrian,

Thank you so much for your review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Toronto, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

There was evidence of bed bugs! Either a current infestation or an old one and they use dirty sheets.

They charged $155 for a broadway ticket that is valued at $79.

Overall, a bad experience for a lot of money.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Lea,

Thank you for your email and for providing us with feedback from your stay. First and foremost, I am very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your experience here at The Ameritania. We take all complaints very seriously, and I want to assure you that we have procedures and standards in place to ensure the comfort and safety of all of our guests.

With regard to your concern about potential bed bugs, while it has been a problem in New York City hotels in the past, this is the first incident that I have ever heard of at this property. However, we do take proactive steps to ensure that each and every room in the hotel is free of pests of any kind. We hire a professional pest control service called NACP Inc. to inspect guest rooms every week and would be informed immediately of any issues. To date, we have not had any. Our linens are sent out to be professionally laundered in extremely hot water, using antimicrobial and disinfectant soaps and chemicals. Our housekeeping team also does a visual inspection of all the linens before they are used in a room, and would discard anything that did not look 100% perfect.

As for the tickets you purchased, I apologize if there was confusion around the prices. Our front desk/concierge team works with ticket brokers in the city to source tickets to Broadway shows, concerts and other events. Because we use a broker, and do not buy directly from the box offices, the ticket prices can be higher than what you would find if you purchased them directly from the theatre. Our concierge staff do earn a small percentage of the ticket price as a commission, but I can assure you that we NEVER inflate ticket prices for our own profits. The hotel provides this service as a convenience to our guests, and in some cases where shows are sold out (Book of Mormon, for example) we are able to find these tickets on the open market, but at a premium. This arrangement should have been made clear to you and I am deeply sorry that you felt mislead. I will review this with our staff to ensure that guests are informed of their options before purchasing tickets through the hotel.

I hope the above helped to address your concerns. I would be happy to discuss with you further, so feel free to call or email me at any time. I’d love to welcome you back to The Ameritania with our compliments for a one-night stay in one of our King Deluxe rooms. Please let me know if I can help you arrange that.

Thanks again for reaching out.

Judson

Been to Ameritania Hotel? Share your experiences!