“Wonderful Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ameritania Hotel

You added Ameritania Hotel to your Saves list
Ameritania Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   230 West 54th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #126 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Aurora, Colorado
“Wonderful Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I had read many reviews both good and bad prior to booking this hotel. I was completely satisfied in every way with my stay at the Ameritania. Clean and comfortable with an extremely friendly staff. You will not find a better location as it is close to many attractions, or the subway is across the street with access to the entire city. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Turkish first
San Fran
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was a VERY strange experience. Ten minutes after check-in, the phone rings. It's a man, telling me there was a problem with my card, and asking me for another one. He asks for the number (I don't give out my card over the phone to people I don't know). I tell him I will come down to the desk and discuss. He says they can send someone to the room to get it. I say I will be right down.

The front desk is all women. They never called me, but one sheepishly admits she put an outside call through to the room without asking for the name of the guest (i.e. some guy calls and says, may I have room 1012 please, and they just connect him. So this is obviously a scam to steal my credit card (or worse, since they said they would come to the room). I ask to call the police, they don't seem all that interested in doing that.

Go back to the room. We tweet about our problem and soon Manager calls. I tell them I was disturbed about what happened and concerned for our safety since the crook knows our room number. I ask for a new room, which I am given.

My rating for this experience is hard. They jacked up their rates for a basketball tourney (supposedly) and my room was a matchbox (open door, hit bed, no closet, you know what that's like). Then they put a scammer call to the room. At this point my stay is a disaster.

But then Manager upgrades us to a Suite, which is very nice. But bottom
line, without the attempted theft, we would have been in a tiny, overpriced room. I don't know why so many hotels give you the crappiest rooms for pre-paid bookings, but they do.

SCAM ALERT - if you get a call from the "front desk" shortly after check-in asking for your card, DON'T give them ANYTHING. It's very believable, but it's a SCAM. I have to think they also might have some type of inside knowledge (calling someone who just checked in, offering to send someone to your room), but have no proof of this.

• Stayed March 2013
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel has a great location to times square, less the 5 min by walking, and close to 5 subway lines. The rooms are typically small ( customary in manhattan) but very clean and modern. The staff was friendly,

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Springfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just got back from a three night stay. The location can't be beat, just a few blocks from the heart of Times Square to the south and the Time Warner building/Columbus Circle area to the north. It's next door to the Ed Sullivan Theater and on a whim we were able to see a taping of the David Letterman Show which was an unexpected highlight of our trip. The rooms are spacious, the beds are very comfortable and the staff is beyond friendly and accommodating. Jeff, the door man is super helpful and the front desk staff helped find my dress that I had accidentally left in my room at check out and shipped it to me that very day. Love this place!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Renaldo M, Manager at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a 5 star review of our hotel. We are delighted to hear your positive feedback. We always strive to exceed our guest expectations, and your satisfaction is important to us. We hope you will stay with us again next time you visit New York City. Kind Regards, Renaldo Moore & Ameritania Staff..
Springfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at the Ameritania four nights and couldn't be more pleased with the location, the hotel and the staff. The staff went out of their way to make our stay wonderful. They upgraded our room to give us more space since we were three ladies in one room. By New York standards, the room was huge. The bathroom was very well equipped and the beds and pillows were so comfy. The lobby and rooms have all been recently decorated. The location can't be beat. Just a few blocks from the Times Warner Center, Times Square, the subway, restaurants and right around the corner from the David Letterman Show. I will recommend the Ameritania to everyone. Great experience.

Room Tip: Room 511 is terrific.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
springfield, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

stayed there for a Saturday night last weekend with my wife and my 2 adult sons. Got the room via a great bid on priceline.com. wanted to try to get the guys a room with 2 double beds, or at least a king so they would fit comfortably. I emailed the hotel through their website making this request, pointing out that i had gotten the reservation through priceline. unfortunately the email went to corporate headquarters in the netherlands i think, but they emailed back, asked which property i was trying to contact, and forwarded the email. i was surprised in that other hotels where i booked through priceline usually treated us as pariahs. instead here they got the guys a room only 2 away from ours, with 2 double beds, and we had a corner room which was the size of a mansion by new york hotel room standards. it was very clean. and the darkest room i have ever been in besides my brothers old basement room, which allowed me to sleep to the ungodly hour of 10am! i love this place.

ps - i mentioned in my email that i was a contributor to tripadvisor and looked forward to stay at their establishment and writing a review. maybe that helped with the considerate help? maybe not? who knows.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

I was sceptal of staying in a boutique hotel but Ameritania made me a believer. The lobby is gorgeous and the fireplace near the bar is very cozy and intimate. My boyfriend and I adored the over sized bed and waterfall shower in the bathroom. The staff was lovely and we will definitely be staying at the Ameritania during our next visit.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Ameritania Hotel? Share your experiences!