“Huge inconvenience!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ameritania Hotel

You added Ameritania Hotel to your Saves list
Ameritania Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   230 West 54th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #123 of 458 Hotels in New York City
“Huge inconvenience!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My husband and I, along with our three month old son, had planned to stay at the Ameritania for one night while we were in town for a family member's retirement party. We chose the Ameritania mainly because other family members were staying there and it was in close proximity to where we would be spending our evening. We arrived at the hotel around 1pm and even though check-in wasn't until 3pm, we thought we'd see if we could check-in early. We we told no rooms were ready and to come back at 3pm. That was fine with us and we proceeded to sightsee for the next two hours. At 3pm we returned, only to be told that we no longer had a room there since some of there rooms were "out of order" and they had transferred our reservation to another hotel. This was a huge inconvenience for many reasons. We were now separated from the rest of the family staying there and we were no longer within walking distance to our evening's activities, compounded by the fact that we were traveling with an infant. When we expressed our displeasure at the situation, we were told in quite a smug tone that there was nothing they could do when rooms are out of order and that "this happens". Management took $30 off our bill, which was less than satisfying

I feel like this situation could have been handled much better. I understand that things do go wrong sometimes, but we should have been made aware of this situation much earlier, like when we tried to check in the first time, and management could have much more sympathetic, or even sincere, about the issue. I will definitely not be booking with the Ameritania again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Renaldo M, Manager at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Erin F, So sorry you didn't get a chance to stay with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies for all the inconveniences that occurred. Our staff prides itself in providing the best possible service and it is very worrisome to us to hear of the incidents that you have described. We absolutely value your business and wish for you to experience Ameritania. Please contact me directly at renaldomoore51@yahoo.com, to further discuss the inconveniences that occurred. We plead you to give us another chance and hope to hear from you very soon.

Renaldo Moore & Ameritania Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We went to NY right after the Hurricane and were lucky enough to land at the Ameritania. The Manager and Front desk supervisor really made the stay successful. The fan in our room didn't work and there was a smell. After talking with the Manager and the Supervisor they changed our room to a larger one without any problems and checked with us often if there were any other issues. The staff was helpful and made great suggestions for eating out We were impressed that while other hotels were gouging like crazy because of the lack of available rooms they were not. As you can imagine the city was not up to speed after the disaster but the Hotel was functioning. Great location, handy to all subway entrances, not far from Times Square, 5th Ave. and Letterman around the corner. Great places for breakfast within 1 block of the hotel. They made sure we were able to get to places even without the buses running and subway trains not on schedule. There is construction in front of the hotel so you might want a room in the back .
Would we stay again - absolutely.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter right now due to construction.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Renaldo M, Manager at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Onhollidaynow, thank YOU so much! Our staff genuinely enjoys helping people, and it’s wonderful to hear you had such a great experience with us. We apologies for the inconveniences about the fan. Happy the Manager help made your stay successful. We would honored by your return! Please contact us directly to ensure optimal service.

Mays Lan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed at the Ameritania Hotel for 1 night, the night before Thanksgiving, and had an excellent experience. The location is phenomenal and we were able to walk every where, from Terminal 5 and down to Times Square.

After we had checked out and were on the train home, I realized I had left something in our room. By early the next morning, this item was found and shipped back to me. The hotel manager could not have been anymore helpful with everything, and I appreciate everything he did to help return what I had left.

I will be recommending this hotel to anyone going to NYC and we will be returning to it for our next visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Kylene H, thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. I am delighted to hear you had such a great experience. Our location and service ARE impossible to beat :) and it’s great to hear you had such a fantastic stay. Please return in near future and contact us directly at the hotel so we can ensure you exceptional service.

california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed the weekend of Thanksgiving. I arrived early and the staff was very accommodating. I wasn't feeling well after my flight and I guess it showed. The front desk was very concerned. They offered me water, an ice pack along with making sure I didn't need medical attention. They made sure my bags were taken up to my room and that my room was comfortable prior to my taking a nap to recover from exhaustion. I am truly impressed and thankful. I will definitely stay here again very soon.

The hotel is close to Columbus Circle subway station, shopping right around almost every other corner. It truly is centrally located and lots of options for entertainment, food, shopping, drugstores etc. I went to a great live jazz spot just up the street at 60th called Dizzy's.

I love the decor in the lobby, outside the floor elevator, bar ,as well as, in the room. I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel. I didn't hear any noise from the street or construction from my 5th floor corner room. It maybe because I'm a city girl and have lived in three major cities. I enjoy the hustle and bustle of the city.

I took pictures myself but they are no different than what is posted by the hotel. Its a fab boutique hotel! Their pictures are concise. Their price was out of sight. I cancelled a reservation for another boutique hotel in Chelsea for this hotel and boy was it totally worth it.

Keep doing what you do well Ameritania.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Renaldo M, Manager at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear NJOY909 , Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us. We at the Ameritania go above and beyond to ensure that all our guests feel as if the Ameritania is their home away from home and it is great to hear you had the best stay ever! We would be honored by your return. Contact us directly on your next visit to ensure excellent service.

Exeter
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

The Ameritania is a nice comfortable hotel and one which I would have no hesitation in recommending. The whole hotel experience was very nice from check in to check out friendly and efficient staff were great. The only negative was the poor soundproofing from the city noise this could easily be fixed with double glazing but would no doubt be costly. Would definitely stay here again. Thank you Ameritania.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear ExeterGemini, thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us. We at the Ameritania go above and beyond to ensure that all our guests feel as if the Ameritania is their home away from home and it is great to hear you had the best stay ever! We would be honored by your return. Contact us directly on your next visit to ensure excellent service.

Renaldo Moore
Ellicott City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Only a ten minute walk to Rockefeller Center and right around the corner from the studio for David Letterman, this small hotel was perfect for our overnight stay. Very reasonably priced, our room was comfortable, very clean and attractive. The front desk staff were friendly, patient and helpful with directions and suggestions, and even booked us a restaurant. Will definitely stay there again when in the city.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear NH, we are pleased to hear that your experiences at the Ameritania are enjoyable and that you continue to choose us as your home away from home. It is guests like you that make our work worthwhile and we hope to see you again in the near future. Do not hesitate to contact us directly to plan your next visit and we will do our best to ensure your stay is just as great!

Renaldo Moore
mississauga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Location is amazing in this hotel! we stayed there during the Thanksgiving weekend and we were so impressed with the central location that this hotel is situated in! We were walking distance to 5th avenue, minutes from Times Square, shops, bustles of NYC and the list goes on! the Room was small but it was well layed out and nicely decorated to make up for its size. The room was always cleaned tidy and the bed was EXTREMELY spacious and comfortable! The only downside to the room was the view of the apartment buildings and alley behind us. The reception staff was friendly and the bellman (Mario) is so pleasant and fun to talk to! There was a engineering staff member who helped us a lot to ( sorry, don't remember his name) Overall our stay was great, and we would recommend this hotel to anyone who wishes to have a good hotel experience in NYC without breaking their bank.

Room Tip: make sure to request a king size bed!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Renaldo M, Manager at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear anita2336, Thank YOU so much! Our staff genuinely enjoys helping people, and it’s wonderful to hear you had such a great experience with us. We would honored by your return! Please contact us directly to ensure optimal service.

Renaldo Moore & Ameritania Staff

Been to Ameritania Hotel? Share your experiences!