“Good Place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

Save Saved
You added Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel to your Saves list
Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   141 East 44th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #83 of 449 hotels in New York City
LEEDS
“Good Place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 day whistle stop tour before our onward journey. I felt assured our stay would be OK from the consistent good reviews on Trip Advisor. We arrived before check in time and our bags were taken to be stored and this left us free to explore on our first day. We arrived back at the hotel and were promptly given our room access card and our luggage brought to us. I found the room was perfectly clean, TV working, tea/coffee and water. The coffee isn't up to much (pretty consistent for USA coffee) but drinkable and not as bad as some others. We were in a room at the side of the beer garden and it is noisy up until 11pm so if you need to get an early night anytime, ask for a room change before you unpack. The next morning we tried breakfast and we were made a lovely and filling veggie breakfast with toast and coffee (pay extra for lavazza if you like real coffee!). The bar next door is a bonus as is the beer garden. Mostly the staff were very helpful and friendly at al times (although I agree with last reviewer, there is a miserable member of reception team). We were helped with our onward travel etc. This is a good all round hotel in a great location and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: If you like peace and quiet ask for a room that isn't at the beer garden side.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear lufc4ever,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and I do hope it won’t be too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to the hotel.

1,145 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights over St Patrick's weekend on recommendation that it was a great hotel, Irish owned etc. Seemed ideal. And apart from most of the staff it was.

Great location, can't fault that - right next to GCS so you can get anywhere around Manhattan from there, obviously.

Anyway - the hotel was nice enough - a bit dated, but then again so is everything in New York - I love this city and go about twice a year to stay with family usually, but this time I wanted to have a hotel for a change.

I expected a big Irish hearty stay, but just got miserable looking, rude staff who just had the same attitude with me asking a question as if I was asking a bagel delivery driver his thoughts on thermo nuclear wave patterns. Needless to say, they were a bit rude. My Irish passport did not give me any special treatment... when I asked how to restart a film that I paused the same day, the receptionist snapped "well did you try pressing the play button?" I waited for the smile... here comes the joke... more silence... no smile, and his frown continued awaiting my answer... it was a real question!! And I paid over $300 a night to be treated like an idiot?

So that's that - expensive and impolite to the point of arrogant - and by no means a reflection of anything Irish if that is your aspiration during your stay - I was really disappointed - but like anything in life I would like to finish on a positive note: The adjoining bar is reasonably Irish by theme and nature, which was nice and the food was very good... try the Full Irish breakfast. I've also rated as 'average' - seemed a bit harsh to say poor or terrible... maybe the staff were just pi$$ed that they had to work on St Patrick's weekend!!

Dean, Geneva, Switzerland.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed at this hotel the Independence Day weekend (5-8 July'13) and had a truly fabulous time.
Our room was MASSIVE, had lovely brown/cream/burgundy 'contemporary' decor in pristine condition, and we had a bathroom we could party in! - the shower was actually just the enormous end of the bathroom and could have fitted 8 of us :)
The bed was soooooo comfortable - we slept like logs! (Our only downside with this was that we couldn't figure out how to get the radio alarm to work and did oversleep a little one morning.)

The reception staff were lovely and helpful, including helping us print out our online boarding passes when we were leaving for home.....and the refreshing drink & glasses on offer whilst you was spending time with them was a lovely touch.
We actually met one of the room cleaners when we got back to our room a little earlier than expected one day (with it being over 100 degrees outside we went back to shower & cool off) and she was very friendly & chatty - what a nice experience for us - my son loved her! :)

The adjoining bar is welcoming and a great place to relax.....and the little outdoor courtyard area to eat & drink is a fab bonus! - it looks lovely with the twinkley lights on the foliage in the evening.

Excellent location for Grand Central Station and thus the brilliant NY Subway network - what a boost to be at Battery Park within 25mins of leaving our hotel room!
Handy Starbucks in the immediate vacinity, a mini deli/store just round the corner that was open late.
Our only gripe with the location is that the NY taxi drivers kept getting it wrong how to get to the hotel, as you can't actually turn into East 44th Street if you are on the west side of Grand Central Station - they have to turn into 43rd or 45th and then round to 44th - they grimaced and sulked when they realised! (bless them - LOL!)

We will absolutely stay at this hotel again - it was a little, beautiful, friendly oasis in the midst of a stinking hot metropolis.....and we adored it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear planect_11,

Thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

We recently renovated the hotel and I am glad to see you liked the decor, the patio is also a great place to unwind and meet some locals.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

2 days are not enough for new york, what an amazing place. this hotel is in a great position almost opposite central station. Nice boutique style hotel, great staff ( not just helping out because they get a tip - no staff in this hotel expected to be tipped) there is a pub next door and a great coffee shop on the other side. the rooms were large and modern, nice bathroom with robes and slippers. We stayed in a deluxe room, great comfortable bed, room had opening windows.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sunnycoast10,

I am glad to see that you found the hotel to be centrally located and that you found some to enjoy the Wheeltapper Bar and patio.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

When I first arrived at the hotel I thought the Fitzpatrick Grand Central was a great choice. Location is perfect, across the street from Grand Central. Room was very nice, though a bit on the small size. Hotel staff was very nice.

Then we noticed that one of the two elevators was out of service. This created long waits for the elevator. This should have been disclosed in advance.

Then the air conditioner, installed just two weeks ago, would shut off at the desired temperature and go back on in 20 seconds. This happened all night. The next night we turned it off and kept the windows open. Thankfully it was not hot.

Except for these issues we enjoyed the hotel and would probably return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear TerryTraveler240,

I am very happy to read that you found the hotel to be centrally located and the staff were nice. We expect to conclude our elevator upgrade by mid September and I apologize for any inconvenience for caused during the project.

EDINBURGH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We arrived on the 26th August, our room wasn't ready so we decided to check in and leave baggage. We were asked for a credit card as we were to pay $100 deposit which would be returned when we checked back out as long as we didn't incur any other costs etc. I didn't have a credit card so they do accept cash. We went outside to a very hot and humid New York, we were exhausted after our flight so we just decided to go to the bar next door, the wheel tapper, the drinks were reasonably priced and does have free wifi. When we got our room keys, we had a short wait for the lift but that was our only wait in our whole stay. Our room was lovely, clean and the bed was mega comfy, I had been a bit worried as people's opinions saying it had mismatched furniture and was a bit run down, so I wasn't pleasantly surprised when I seen our room. We were on the 7th floor and at times it was noisy but with all the walking we had been doing, I would have slept through an earthquake. The air conditioning was a bit old fashioned but worked well, we found putting the chairs up against it helped ease the noise. I loved the fact that there was a fridge in the room, as we bought juice, milk, cereal pots to have for breakfast etc. In the evening we decided to go to the Wheeltapper for food, we had 2 drinks and 2 main meals and when we asked for the bill a 17% tip had been added on, don't get me wrong the waitress was good and the food was okay but doesn't deserve that, I almost choked when I seen it. The staff were lovely and friendly, Garfield the bellboy helped us out loads and gave me a ticket for Bloomingdales. The maids were fab too, rooms were always clean and would come round with water and chocolates. Would defo stay here again, miss New York already and will be back at the fitzpatrick!

Room Tip: Rooms on a high floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kimberley N,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had a lovely time staying at the Fitzpatrick Hotel. The room was small but well appointed. The food was well prepared, served in 20 minutes--and not at the extremely high prices I have found in other hotels. The people on the phones were helpful and cheerful. Overall, it was a delightful experience!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel? Share your experiences!