I stayed here for 5 nights over St Patrick's weekend on recommendation that it was a great hotel, Irish owned etc. Seemed ideal. And apart from most of the staff it was.
Great location, can't fault that - right next to GCS so you can get anywhere around Manhattan from there, obviously.
Anyway - the hotel was nice enough - a bit dated, but then again so is everything in New York - I love this city and go about twice a year to stay with family usually, but this time I wanted to have a hotel for a change.
I expected a big Irish hearty stay, but just got miserable looking, rude staff who just had the same attitude with me asking a question as if I was asking a bagel delivery driver his thoughts on thermo nuclear wave patterns. Needless to say, they were a bit rude. My Irish passport did not give me any special treatment... when I asked how to restart a film that I paused the same day, the receptionist snapped "well did you try pressing the play button?" I waited for the smile... here comes the joke... more silence... no smile, and his frown continued awaiting my answer... it was a real question!! And I paid over $300 a night to be treated like an idiot?
So that's that - expensive and impolite to the point of arrogant - and by no means a reflection of anything Irish if that is your aspiration during your stay - I was really disappointed - but like anything in life I would like to finish on a positive note: The adjoining bar is reasonably Irish by theme and nature, which was nice and the food was very good... try the Full Irish breakfast. I've also rated as 'average' - seemed a bit harsh to say poor or terrible... maybe the staff were just pi$$ed that they had to work on St Patrick's weekend!!
Dean, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The central location and attentive service distinguish the Fitzpatrick Grand Central. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Agoda, Tingo, Hotels.com, Travelocity, getaroom.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com and Venere so you can book your Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Fitzpatrick Grand Central
- Fitzpatrick Hotel New York