“Could have been better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

You added Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel to your Saves list
Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   141 East 44th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #91 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“Could have been better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

When I first arrived at the hotel I thought the Fitzpatrick Grand Central was a great choice. Location is perfect, across the street from Grand Central. Room was very nice, though a bit on the small size. Hotel staff was very nice.

Then we noticed that one of the two elevators was out of service. This created long waits for the elevator. This should have been disclosed in advance.

Then the air conditioner, installed just two weeks ago, would shut off at the desired temperature and go back on in 20 seconds. This happened all night. The next night we turned it off and kept the windows open. Thankfully it was not hot.

Except for these issues we enjoyed the hotel and would probably return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear TerryTraveler240,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am very happy to read that you found the hotel to be centrally located and the staff were nice. We expect to conclude our elevator upgrade by mid September and I apologize for any inconvenience for caused during the project.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and I do hope it won’t be too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
EDINBURGH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We arrived on the 26th August, our room wasn't ready so we decided to check in and leave baggage. We were asked for a credit card as we were to pay $100 deposit which would be returned when we checked back out as long as we didn't incur any other costs etc. I didn't have a credit card so they do accept cash. We went outside to a very hot and humid New York, we were exhausted after our flight so we just decided to go to the bar next door, the wheel tapper, the drinks were reasonably priced and does have free wifi. When we got our room keys, we had a short wait for the lift but that was our only wait in our whole stay. Our room was lovely, clean and the bed was mega comfy, I had been a bit worried as people's opinions saying it had mismatched furniture and was a bit run down, so I wasn't pleasantly surprised when I seen our room. We were on the 7th floor and at times it was noisy but with all the walking we had been doing, I would have slept through an earthquake. The air conditioning was a bit old fashioned but worked well, we found putting the chairs up against it helped ease the noise. I loved the fact that there was a fridge in the room, as we bought juice, milk, cereal pots to have for breakfast etc. In the evening we decided to go to the Wheeltapper for food, we had 2 drinks and 2 main meals and when we asked for the bill a 17% tip had been added on, don't get me wrong the waitress was good and the food was okay but doesn't deserve that, I almost choked when I seen it. The staff were lovely and friendly, Garfield the bellboy helped us out loads and gave me a ticket for Bloomingdales. The maids were fab too, rooms were always clean and would come round with water and chocolates. Would defo stay here again, miss New York already and will be back at the fitzpatrick!

Room Tip: Rooms on a high floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kimberley N,

Thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had a lovely time staying at the Fitzpatrick Hotel. The room was small but well appointed. The food was well prepared, served in 20 minutes--and not at the extremely high prices I have found in other hotels. The people on the phones were helpful and cheerful. Overall, it was a delightful experience!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was the last stop of our 3 and a half week honeymoon. We were very tired when we arrived and the jet lag totally hit us. We were only in New York for 3 days so were trying to make the most of it as we arrived early. We were told that we could only check in at 3 arg !! However the great member of staff Chris had noticed the side note on our booking that is was our honeymoon ( the only hotel out of 4 we stayed in that noticed) so he found a free room and booked us in there which meant we could shower unpack and have a quick nap to charge the batteries and get out there. So feeling positive and ready to see the amazing New York everyone tells you about we get to the front door and the super helpful and friendly door man gives us a map and directions to Times Square great! We head off and find time square mobbed and surrounded by road works ! Bummer or what? So then decide to book tickets to see a show. We go to see wicked that night ! Amazing! Have dinner in the best Italian is had which is pretty much attached onto the side of the theatre then head back to get sleep for a full day the next day. Get back to the hotel and Chris ( the reception saviour ) had had champagne and chocolate strawberries brought up to the room! HERO! The room was nice and clean but the sheets sometimes had a wee hole in them but we didn't complain cos we didn't really care, might need updating. The shower was MASSIVE!! My only annoyance was the air conditioning was really noisy but to be fair we were that tired and the staff were that lovely we just kept it to outsells as wasn't a long stay. New York itself is not our bag though as we are pretty happy ppl and the place is full or rude angry ppl who seem to not care about service even in restaurants they have full conversations with coworkers as they are serving you not even breaking eye contact. The shopping isn't that cheap and you have to walk loads and loads to get from one shop tithe next VEGAS shopping was better. The Central Park was ok but we have something very similar at home so didn't really excite me. We went up Rockefeller and the staff were great we wanted to rush the tour as didn't have long to get it in as we tried the night before and the clouds were too heavy they let us skip the queues and most of the videos and go right on up. Great views. The number of homeless people was unreal and watching a guy eat food from a trash can is a bit far :s however as our hotel was right next to grand central I never once saw a homeless man in our area just walking about the centre. We took the ferry over to staton and saw the Statue of Liberty very underwhelming ! She's tiny! If you are a happy kind of person maybe go in winter I think it would be nicer at Christmas but I don't recommend New York our Driver from the airport was even hating life. However if you do go the Fitzpatrick was great as after a day of rudeness and miserable faces it was nice to come into a place were customer service seemed to matter. :)

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Stacey_wilson,

Congratulations on your wedding and I am glad to see that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us.

I appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received, especially from Chris.

Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

From start to finish we had a fantastic stay at the Fitzpatrick grand central. They were warm and welcoming, the rooms were lovely, clean and spacious for New York, the food was good and the bar was good too.
We stayed for 4 nights for my brother in laws wedding. We met John Fitzpatrick who was extremely personable and friendly. He took all of our room numbers and got fruit sent to each. He then upgraded the bride and groom to the penthouse for 2 nights at no extra charge, it was a fabulous suite with a roof top garden!
The wedding was on in downtown Manhattan but as we left with the bride and groom they rolled out the red carpet and gave complementary champagne and strawberries.
We still can't get over how far they went to make sure we had a great stay.
On a practical note the location is good, it's in 44th so 10 blocks from Macy's, a few blocks from Times Square and about 15 to Central Park, easy to get to the hotel and easy to get around.
I would definitely highly recommend the Fitzpatrick and will return myself someday!

Room Tip: They have rooms with 2 double beds available if you are travelling with a friend
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear l0ve2travel27,

I am glad to see that your family enjoyed the wedding and that we were able to upgrade the bride and groom to the Penthouse suite.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed here in July for 6 nights and can surely say it was amazing experience,checking in we were asked if it was a special occasion and my wife said it would be my birthday while we were there and when we returned that evening after a trip up town Chocolate Strawberries and a bottle of Champagne was left in our room. Room was very spacious , spotless and staff could not do enough for us, The Wheeltapper pub is the hotel bar full of memorabilia from Inchicore train Works in Dublin Ireland so it was great for us as my wife is from there.Great location for exploring the Big Apple , New York was fantastic , Grand Central Station is huge with lots to see and do ( The Campbell Apartment) is an old pub from 1930s above the station not cheap by NY standards but a lovely experience.There is a food market / food hall too many shops to mention and the architecture is fantastic. Also took a train journey to an old town called Cold Springs , beautiful and very scenic train journey just over 1 hour, along the Hudson and real old town experience. For movie buffs train goes through Yonkers ( Hello Dolly, Barbara Streisand). NY city has so much for people of all ages apart from the usual sights there is Intrepid Aircraft carrier with planes, helicopters , Space Shuttle , Concord and a Submarine which you can get on if your not claustrophobic. Great ferry trip around NY about 2 hours long with fantastic views of the city with great commentary about NY history.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Peter B,

A belated happy birthday and and thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central .

New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is a mid-level business hotel with a great, well-trained staff and a Midtown location that makes it well-worth the price.

The service: Everyone was genuinely pleasant. Clearly the Irish attitude towards customer service is different than the New York attitude. I had a problem with a small appliance in my room and the staff had the problem appliance replaced almost immediately. The staff greeted me warmly every time I returned to the hotel. The Irish gentleman with the red hair (perhaps a manager) was particularly lovely.

The room: A bit the worse for wear, but not terrible. Bathrooms were huge and looked like they had been recently updated. The guestroom itself was quite small but this is Manhattan, so what were you expecting?

Nice touches:
* Umbrella and robe in each guestroom.
* Really nice toiletries.
* Free lemonade all afternoon in the lobby.

Random bits of annoyance;
* The elevators are undergoing maintenance and one was out of service for my entire stay. I was on the second floor so that wouldn't have been a problem, except. . .
* The staircase has the musty smell of a staircase in an old, cheap New York apartment building. Not helping the situation was the fact that there were large bags of trash sitting in the staircase landing almost all day long.
* No ice machine. Had to go to restaurant for a bucket of ice, and the staff there seemed a bit flummoxed by the request, though in fairness they made it happen.
* Cell phone reception was not great in the guestroom, and Wifi internet access was not cheap at $14.95.

Overall, this is not the finest hotel in New York, but it is a nice little boutique a stone's throw from Grand Central Terminal.

Room Tip: This is somewhat of a catch-22 until they fix the elevators. The second floor is really low (sunken...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear trip2phan,

Our elevator upgrade will be completed by mid September and I do apologize for any dealys you encountered.

Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

Been to Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel? Share your experiences!