“Great staff New York wasn't our thing.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

Save Saved
You added Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel to your Saves list
Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   141 East 44th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #83 of 451 hotels in New York City
Edinburgh
“Great staff New York wasn't our thing.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was the last stop of our 3 and a half week honeymoon. We were very tired when we arrived and the jet lag totally hit us. We were only in New York for 3 days so were trying to make the most of it as we arrived early. We were told that we could only check in at 3 arg !! However the great member of staff Chris had noticed the side note on our booking that is was our honeymoon ( the only hotel out of 4 we stayed in that noticed) so he found a free room and booked us in there which meant we could shower unpack and have a quick nap to charge the batteries and get out there. So feeling positive and ready to see the amazing New York everyone tells you about we get to the front door and the super helpful and friendly door man gives us a map and directions to Times Square great! We head off and find time square mobbed and surrounded by road works ! Bummer or what? So then decide to book tickets to see a show. We go to see wicked that night ! Amazing! Have dinner in the best Italian is had which is pretty much attached onto the side of the theatre then head back to get sleep for a full day the next day. Get back to the hotel and Chris ( the reception saviour ) had had champagne and chocolate strawberries brought up to the room! HERO! The room was nice and clean but the sheets sometimes had a wee hole in them but we didn't complain cos we didn't really care, might need updating. The shower was MASSIVE!! My only annoyance was the air conditioning was really noisy but to be fair we were that tired and the staff were that lovely we just kept it to outsells as wasn't a long stay. New York itself is not our bag though as we are pretty happy ppl and the place is full or rude angry ppl who seem to not care about service even in restaurants they have full conversations with coworkers as they are serving you not even breaking eye contact. The shopping isn't that cheap and you have to walk loads and loads to get from one shop tithe next VEGAS shopping was better. The Central Park was ok but we have something very similar at home so didn't really excite me. We went up Rockefeller and the staff were great we wanted to rush the tour as didn't have long to get it in as we tried the night before and the clouds were too heavy they let us skip the queues and most of the videos and go right on up. Great views. The number of homeless people was unreal and watching a guy eat food from a trash can is a bit far :s however as our hotel was right next to grand central I never once saw a homeless man in our area just walking about the centre. We took the ferry over to staton and saw the Statue of Liberty very underwhelming ! She's tiny! If you are a happy kind of person maybe go in winter I think it would be nicer at Christmas but I don't recommend New York our Driver from the airport was even hating life. However if you do go the Fitzpatrick was great as after a day of rudeness and miserable faces it was nice to come into a place were customer service seemed to matter. :)

• Stayed July 2013
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Stacey_wilson,

Congratulations on your wedding and I am glad to see that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us.

I appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received, especially from Chris.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and I do hope it won’t be too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to the hotel.

1,159 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

From start to finish we had a fantastic stay at the Fitzpatrick grand central. They were warm and welcoming, the rooms were lovely, clean and spacious for New York, the food was good and the bar was good too.
We stayed for 4 nights for my brother in laws wedding. We met John Fitzpatrick who was extremely personable and friendly. He took all of our room numbers and got fruit sent to each. He then upgraded the bride and groom to the penthouse for 2 nights at no extra charge, it was a fabulous suite with a roof top garden!
The wedding was on in downtown Manhattan but as we left with the bride and groom they rolled out the red carpet and gave complementary champagne and strawberries.
We still can't get over how far they went to make sure we had a great stay.
On a practical note the location is good, it's in 44th so 10 blocks from Macy's, a few blocks from Times Square and about 15 to Central Park, easy to get to the hotel and easy to get around.
I would definitely highly recommend the Fitzpatrick and will return myself someday!

Room Tip: They have rooms with 2 double beds available if you are travelling with a friend
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear l0ve2travel27,

Thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am glad to see that your family enjoyed the wedding and that we were able to upgrade the bride and groom to the Penthouse suite.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed here in July for 6 nights and can surely say it was amazing experience,checking in we were asked if it was a special occasion and my wife said it would be my birthday while we were there and when we returned that evening after a trip up town Chocolate Strawberries and a bottle of Champagne was left in our room. Room was very spacious , spotless and staff could not do enough for us, The Wheeltapper pub is the hotel bar full of memorabilia from Inchicore train Works in Dublin Ireland so it was great for us as my wife is from there.Great location for exploring the Big Apple , New York was fantastic , Grand Central Station is huge with lots to see and do ( The Campbell Apartment) is an old pub from 1930s above the station not cheap by NY standards but a lovely experience.There is a food market / food hall too many shops to mention and the architecture is fantastic. Also took a train journey to an old town called Cold Springs , beautiful and very scenic train journey just over 1 hour, along the Hudson and real old town experience. For movie buffs train goes through Yonkers ( Hello Dolly, Barbara Streisand). NY city has so much for people of all ages apart from the usual sights there is Intrepid Aircraft carrier with planes, helicopters , Space Shuttle , Concord and a Submarine which you can get on if your not claustrophobic. Great ferry trip around NY about 2 hours long with fantastic views of the city with great commentary about NY history.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Peter B,

A belated happy birthday and and thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central .

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received.

New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is a mid-level business hotel with a great, well-trained staff and a Midtown location that makes it well-worth the price.

The service: Everyone was genuinely pleasant. Clearly the Irish attitude towards customer service is different than the New York attitude. I had a problem with a small appliance in my room and the staff had the problem appliance replaced almost immediately. The staff greeted me warmly every time I returned to the hotel. The Irish gentleman with the red hair (perhaps a manager) was particularly lovely.

The room: A bit the worse for wear, but not terrible. Bathrooms were huge and looked like they had been recently updated. The guestroom itself was quite small but this is Manhattan, so what were you expecting?

Nice touches:
* Umbrella and robe in each guestroom.
* Really nice toiletries.
* Free lemonade all afternoon in the lobby.

Random bits of annoyance;
* The elevators are undergoing maintenance and one was out of service for my entire stay. I was on the second floor so that wouldn't have been a problem, except. . .
* The staircase has the musty smell of a staircase in an old, cheap New York apartment building. Not helping the situation was the fact that there were large bags of trash sitting in the staircase landing almost all day long.
* No ice machine. Had to go to restaurant for a bucket of ice, and the staff there seemed a bit flummoxed by the request, though in fairness they made it happen.
* Cell phone reception was not great in the guestroom, and Wifi internet access was not cheap at $14.95.

Overall, this is not the finest hotel in New York, but it is a nice little boutique a stone's throw from Grand Central Terminal.

Room Tip: This is somewhat of a catch-22 until they fix the elevators. The second floor is really low (sunken...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear trip2phan,

Our elevator upgrade will be completed by mid September and I do apologize for any dealys you encountered.

Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We booked in here for our last two nights in NYC due to all the rave reviews and were really disappointed.
The staff were indeed very friendly but the rooms were very unremarkable and not at all worth a 4 star rating. The flat screen TV was so small you could barely see it from the bed. Speaking of the bed it was nowhere near what you expect for 4 stars - the mattress creaked with every move and every time my guy rolled over I almost bounced off of it. No ice machine so you have to call to have it delivered. The one robe that was provided was tight on me and I'm a size 8.
And finally - it was $15 a day for wifi (really?? in this day and age??) AND they charged us a dollar to make a local phone call.
All in all we were very disappointed in this hotel.
(and we could have stayed at a Hilton for the same price!)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Happy_Traveling2,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am glad to see that you found the hotel staff to be very friendly but I am disappointed that you found the bed to be uncomfortable, we use the top of the line mattress and will I will investigate further to address the issue..

Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We visited NYC for our first time in December last year (2012) and we were so excited. My boyfriend book us into this hotel which was just perfect! it was in such an incredible location, so close to grand central station and so it was easy to get everywhere. Close to Central Park. The hotel exceeded our expectations. The staff were the most friendly people, and so helpful. They gave us advice on where to eat - and we asked where they would reccomend for a good steak and they told us about Benjamin's steak house which wasn't too far away. If you go here you HAVE to go to Benjamin's, the steak is more then amazing, we haven't found a place that beats it since! that restaurant is a must! The staff were so welcoming and smiley. The room was just stunning! It was spotless. The bed was incredibly comfortable - which is what you need after a long day walking around the city! The hotel connects to the irish pub next door which has really great atmosphere. The staff in the lobby are so caring and friendly and make you feel like a VIP. There's also lots of photos in the lobby of all the famous people that have visited this hotel, so its quite popular. The staff also helped us arrange a bus trip into woodbury common which is amazing for shopping! I seriously couldn't complain about a single thing. The room service food was so delicious! I would jump at the chance to go back to this place we just loved every single second of it. New York is amazing and this hotel is definitely the icing on the cake.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

What a great hotel! We stayed here 8 nights in August 2013 and had a double double room (2 double beds as our teenage son was travelling with myself and my husband) which was on the 8th floor at the top of the hotel. The room was spotlessly clean, the bathroom modern and the bedroom contained a flat screen TV, a coffee maker and a safe. We were in New York for my husband's 40th and the hotel provided a bottle of fizzy, a plate of fruit and chocolate covered strawberries. The concierge organised a birthday cake from the bakery over the road and it was delivered to our room at the agreed time. The staff were very friendly and greeted us each time we walked through reception. When leaving, they stored our luggage for a few hours and also quickly located us a taxi. The location next to Grand Central was really convenient. I would've given 5 stars but the fact that there was only 1 lift available (albeit as the other was being renovated) and therefore involved waiting quite a while you wanted to use it. Also, being a tea drinking addict, I would've liked cartons of UHT milk in the room rather than powdered creamer, and lastly a couple of bath sheet sized towels would've been appreciated as the towels didn't cover my ample bosom! A great hotel that I'll be telling all my friends about.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up in the hotel as the noise from bin lorries, etc is quite noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear LinziRose,

Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

Been to Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel? Share your experiences!