“New York Break” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

Save Saved
You added Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel to your Saves list
Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   141 East 44th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #84 of 451 hotels in New York City
Dublin, Ireland
“New York Break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed here in July for 6 nights and can surely say it was amazing experience,checking in we were asked if it was a special occasion and my wife said it would be my birthday while we were there and when we returned that evening after a trip up town Chocolate Strawberries and a bottle of Champagne was left in our room. Room was very spacious , spotless and staff could not do enough for us, The Wheeltapper pub is the hotel bar full of memorabilia from Inchicore train Works in Dublin Ireland so it was great for us as my wife is from there.Great location for exploring the Big Apple , New York was fantastic , Grand Central Station is huge with lots to see and do ( The Campbell Apartment) is an old pub from 1930s above the station not cheap by NY standards but a lovely experience.There is a food market / food hall too many shops to mention and the architecture is fantastic. Also took a train journey to an old town called Cold Springs , beautiful and very scenic train journey just over 1 hour, along the Hudson and real old town experience. For movie buffs train goes through Yonkers ( Hello Dolly, Barbara Streisand). NY city has so much for people of all ages apart from the usual sights there is Intrepid Aircraft carrier with planes, helicopters , Space Shuttle , Concord and a Submarine which you can get on if your not claustrophobic. Great ferry trip around NY about 2 hours long with fantastic views of the city with great commentary about NY history.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Peter B,

A belated happy birthday and and thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central .

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and I do hope it won’t be too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to the hotel.

1,148 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is a mid-level business hotel with a great, well-trained staff and a Midtown location that makes it well-worth the price.

The service: Everyone was genuinely pleasant. Clearly the Irish attitude towards customer service is different than the New York attitude. I had a problem with a small appliance in my room and the staff had the problem appliance replaced almost immediately. The staff greeted me warmly every time I returned to the hotel. The Irish gentleman with the red hair (perhaps a manager) was particularly lovely.

The room: A bit the worse for wear, but not terrible. Bathrooms were huge and looked like they had been recently updated. The guestroom itself was quite small but this is Manhattan, so what were you expecting?

Nice touches:
* Umbrella and robe in each guestroom.
* Really nice toiletries.
* Free lemonade all afternoon in the lobby.

Random bits of annoyance;
* The elevators are undergoing maintenance and one was out of service for my entire stay. I was on the second floor so that wouldn't have been a problem, except. . .
* The staircase has the musty smell of a staircase in an old, cheap New York apartment building. Not helping the situation was the fact that there were large bags of trash sitting in the staircase landing almost all day long.
* No ice machine. Had to go to restaurant for a bucket of ice, and the staff there seemed a bit flummoxed by the request, though in fairness they made it happen.
* Cell phone reception was not great in the guestroom, and Wifi internet access was not cheap at $14.95.

Overall, this is not the finest hotel in New York, but it is a nice little boutique a stone's throw from Grand Central Terminal.

Room Tip: This is somewhat of a catch-22 until they fix the elevators. The second floor is really low (sunken...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear trip2phan,

Thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

Our elevator upgrade will be completed by mid September and I do apologize for any dealys you encountered.

Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We booked in here for our last two nights in NYC due to all the rave reviews and were really disappointed.
The staff were indeed very friendly but the rooms were very unremarkable and not at all worth a 4 star rating. The flat screen TV was so small you could barely see it from the bed. Speaking of the bed it was nowhere near what you expect for 4 stars - the mattress creaked with every move and every time my guy rolled over I almost bounced off of it. No ice machine so you have to call to have it delivered. The one robe that was provided was tight on me and I'm a size 8.
And finally - it was $15 a day for wifi (really?? in this day and age??) AND they charged us a dollar to make a local phone call.
All in all we were very disappointed in this hotel.
(and we could have stayed at a Hilton for the same price!)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Happy_Traveling2,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am glad to see that you found the hotel staff to be very friendly but I am disappointed that you found the bed to be uncomfortable, we use the top of the line mattress and will I will investigate further to address the issue..

Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We visited NYC for our first time in December last year (2012) and we were so excited. My boyfriend book us into this hotel which was just perfect! it was in such an incredible location, so close to grand central station and so it was easy to get everywhere. Close to Central Park. The hotel exceeded our expectations. The staff were the most friendly people, and so helpful. They gave us advice on where to eat - and we asked where they would reccomend for a good steak and they told us about Benjamin's steak house which wasn't too far away. If you go here you HAVE to go to Benjamin's, the steak is more then amazing, we haven't found a place that beats it since! that restaurant is a must! The staff were so welcoming and smiley. The room was just stunning! It was spotless. The bed was incredibly comfortable - which is what you need after a long day walking around the city! The hotel connects to the irish pub next door which has really great atmosphere. The staff in the lobby are so caring and friendly and make you feel like a VIP. There's also lots of photos in the lobby of all the famous people that have visited this hotel, so its quite popular. The staff also helped us arrange a bus trip into woodbury common which is amazing for shopping! I seriously couldn't complain about a single thing. The room service food was so delicious! I would jump at the chance to go back to this place we just loved every single second of it. New York is amazing and this hotel is definitely the icing on the cake.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

What a great hotel! We stayed here 8 nights in August 2013 and had a double double room (2 double beds as our teenage son was travelling with myself and my husband) which was on the 8th floor at the top of the hotel. The room was spotlessly clean, the bathroom modern and the bedroom contained a flat screen TV, a coffee maker and a safe. We were in New York for my husband's 40th and the hotel provided a bottle of fizzy, a plate of fruit and chocolate covered strawberries. The concierge organised a birthday cake from the bakery over the road and it was delivered to our room at the agreed time. The staff were very friendly and greeted us each time we walked through reception. When leaving, they stored our luggage for a few hours and also quickly located us a taxi. The location next to Grand Central was really convenient. I would've given 5 stars but the fact that there was only 1 lift available (albeit as the other was being renovated) and therefore involved waiting quite a while you wanted to use it. Also, being a tea drinking addict, I would've liked cartons of UHT milk in the room rather than powdered creamer, and lastly a couple of bath sheet sized towels would've been appreciated as the towels didn't cover my ample bosom! A great hotel that I'll be telling all my friends about.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up in the hotel as the noise from bin lorries, etc is quite noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear LinziRose,

Uckfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Great central location,but the noise throughout the night was unbearable... Sirens,bins being emptied general road noise..I know it's the city that never sleeps ,but I like to on occasion. Not my first to The Big Apple and it won't be my last. Only one extremely slow lift working ,not ideal if your in a hurry.Wifi in the lobby only,unless you pay for room connection. TV didn't work and looked as though someone had taken umbrage with it and attacked it with a stilleto.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the very top,ask for a quiet corner or room facing a brick wall it's the only w...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear
Thank you for staying with us for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry that your sleep was interupted by the cuty noise, we do have some inside rooms that are much quieter and may suit your needs better. Our elevator upgrade will be completed by mid September and I apologize for any delay you encountered.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I went to this hotel thanks to the reviews here on Tripadvisor, and boy was I glad with it. This is the hotel the British Airways crews in NYC use, so that tells you something. Great location (you're a block away from Grand Central Station and 10 minutes walking to Times Square) and the staff is lovely. They checked with me every other day to see if everything in the room was ok, whenever I had a question they quickly looked it up for me, plus before I left they did my online check-in for my flight back at no additional cost. Room was big, bed was Queen size (and I checked on that beforehand as I'm quite tall) and in the room you had a coffee/tea maker, flatscreen TV and a fully equipped bathroom (they give you soap, gel, shampoo and they leave a hairdryer for you to use). I missed a comb though. Price range is adequate for MIdtown Manhattan. If you're looking for a place just to sleep in NYC, this is your place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel? Share your experiences!