This is a mid-level business hotel with a great, well-trained staff and a Midtown location that makes it well-worth the price.
The service: Everyone was genuinely pleasant. Clearly the Irish attitude towards customer service is different than the New York attitude. I had a problem with a small appliance in my room and the staff had the problem appliance replaced almost immediately. The staff greeted me warmly every time I returned to the hotel. The Irish gentleman with the red hair (perhaps a manager) was particularly lovely.
The room: A bit the worse for wear, but not terrible. Bathrooms were huge and looked like they had been recently updated. The guestroom itself was quite small but this is Manhattan, so what were you expecting?
* Umbrella and robe in each guestroom.
* Really nice toiletries.
* Free lemonade all afternoon in the lobby.
Random bits of annoyance;
* The elevators are undergoing maintenance and one was out of service for my entire stay. I was on the second floor so that wouldn't have been a problem, except. . .
* The staircase has the musty smell of a staircase in an old, cheap New York apartment building. Not helping the situation was the fact that there were large bags of trash sitting in the staircase landing almost all day long.
* No ice machine. Had to go to restaurant for a bucket of ice, and the staff there seemed a bit flummoxed by the request, though in fairness they made it happen.
* Cell phone reception was not great in the guestroom, and Wifi internet access was not cheap at $14.95.
Overall, this is not the finest hotel in New York, but it is a nice little boutique a stone's throw from Grand Central Terminal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The central location and attentive service distinguish the Fitzpatrick Grand Central. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, Venere and Priceline so you can book your Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Fitzpatrick Grand Central
- Fitzpatrick Hotel New York