“What a great surprise for our engagement!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

You added Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel to your Saves list
Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   141 East 44th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #86 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Portlaoise, Ireland
“What a great surprise for our engagement!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. I had mentioned that it was my fiances birthday and that we were also celebrating our engagement. They arranged for us to stay in the Seamus Heaney suite. They also had champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries in our room upon arrival. Such a lovely surprise!! The hotel was within easy walking distance to Empire state building, Top of the rock, Rockefeller centre St. Patrick's cathedral and fifth avenue. Lovely hotel with very friendly staff. It was nice to stay here at the end of our trip and hear some Irish voices and friendly faces. The staff were really friendly. The staff gave us great recommendations for going out in the meat packing district, .Area very safe. We would definetly stay here again should we be lucky to return to New York.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear missmulhall,

Thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

Congratulations on you recent engagements and I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and I do hope it won’t be too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in this hotel in Dec, the best part was the location of the hotel.
It was our first time in New York & most places we visited were at a walking distance from the hotel - Times Square, 5th avenue, Radio City, Empire state building & Rockefeller centre.
Grand Central terminal is 2 mins walk away and has good connections to Lower Manhattan.
Nothing special about the hotel itself, we had a peaceful nights sleep on all 3 nights, if like us, you are used to big, spacious rooms from previous travels in the Middle East & Africa then this will come as a big shock to you but it is a good value for money.
Cons- Our phones rarely had network coverage in the rooms & wifi connection was poor.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Ishan M,

Owego, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Absolutely wonderful stay. After an aggravating start to our trip to NYC, it was a relief to find that the Fitzpatrick Grand Central was exactly what I hoped it would be. Actually, it was even better than what I had hoped. I was immediately impressed with the beautifully decorated hotel lobby (it was 3 days before Christmas) as well as the genuine, friendly smile from Jennifer at the front desk. While she pulled up my reservation, she asked how my day was going, so I laughed and gave her a brief rundown of the day's events. Jokingly, I asked her if there was an upgraded room she could slip us into, fully expecting the answer to be ‘no.’ I was floored and beyond excited when she made it happen and upgraded my husband and I to a suite. The room was beautiful – even more so than the picture on the website – and absolutely spotless. The extra space we gained with the separate seating area was wonderful and made the room a good size. I was prepared to be disappointed with the bathroom since I am a bit of a bathroom Nazi, but it was lovely. Again, spotless (which I never say because of my many, many hang-ups about hotel bathrooms) and quite large. We had a massive soaking tub/shower and more than enough counter space.

Service at the hotel was impeccable as well. Since there was no fridge in the room, we called down and asked for ice to be brought up a number of times, and I don’t think we ever waited as long as five minutes before someone showed up at our door. Everyone was friendly and helpful no matter if they were hailing us a cab in the rain, taking our picture in front of the Christmas tree, or asking us how our day was. Most shockingly, everyone seemed to want to help, and we were approached most every time we were in the lobby by a staff member asking if we needed anything.

On top of everything, the location was fantastic. Grand Central is a stone’s throw from the Fitzpatrick’s front doors, as is Crumbs Bakery, Starbucks (which is essential as the in-room coffee was the only less than stellar feature), and many restaurants.

I usually like to try different hotels when I make multiple visits to the same city, but I can say with certainty that as long as the Fitzpatrick Grand Central is available, it is hands down my first choice of where to stay.

You can probably tell that I can’t say enough nice things about this hotel. I hope that the staff/management happens to read this post because I would like to sincerely thank them for making our stay so pleasant!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JenandShowtime,

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received. I know that Jennifer will be very happy to read them.

Doylestown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We came in to NYC on January 1. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming. Grand Central station is an easy walk to Rockefeller center. The rooms are small and the wireless did not come with the room. The price point is excellent for NYC. I would recommend the Fitzpatrick Hotel Grand Central to anyone who would like a clean comfortable hotel with a friendly staff.

Room Tip: ask for a room above the 5th floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Rebecca C,

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed three nights at the Fitzpatrick and it was very satisfactory. Nice size room for NYC-comfortable bed and easy controls for heating the room. Had breakfast all three days in their resturaunt and enjoyed that as well. Had the American special two mornings and the oatmeal the third. Hit the spot. Staff was friendly as well. Thanks!

Room Tip: I had in the room in the back of the hotel and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear happytravels18_11,

Hassocks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This was our first trip to New York. I don't expect it will be our last as we loved it, and as the hotel was a big part of the positive experience I expect we'll go back there too. The room was comfortable and spacious. The food in the bar was good. The location just across from the magnificent Grand Central Station was superb. But the biggest positive was the staff. From concierge to receptionists, bar staff to cleaners and maintenance staff, everyone was polite, friendly, helpful above and beyond what I'd expect and a positive joy to be around.

Negatives? I've one, but it's small. I'd expect in this day and age for a hotel to have wireless Internet access. All they do is offer it via AT&T, it was fifteen dollars a day, and it was rubbish. It dropped in and out, Skype wouldn't function, and after one day I decided I wouldn't pay for more. We really could have done with this service, and it was a big frustration. Mind you, there's a Pret a Manger over the road where you can get it for free- and like every Pret in NY, the password is "toastie"!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ian T,

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received. I do apologise for the issue you encountered with the Wifi, we have recently added bandwidth and will be following up with our provider to address connectivity.

limerick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is a fab hotel. Very busy and the staff are great. It is located too so good for getting around the place, and in a nice safe area. Its a great city with an endless amount of restaurants, and huge shops!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Una d,

Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

Been to Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel? Share your experiences!