“So welcoming, warm and comfortable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

Save Saved
You added Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel to your Saves list
Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   141 East 44th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #87 of 446 hotels in New York City
Dublin, Ireland
“So welcoming, warm and comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Not huge, the rooms an average size, nice bathrooms but the welcome and the coziness of the hotel was a haven at the end of every day exploring New York for the first time. Great freshly cooked Irish Breakfast, the nicest of staff, all of them. Great outdoor covered and heated area, lots of buzz with the after work crowd coming in and lovely food all day. Have already recommended this and would not stay anywhere else if I am lucky enough to go back to New York. It was home.

Room Tip: If you smoke, book a garden room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Irish W,

Thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us find it to be a home away from home.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and I do hope it won’t be too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to the hotel.

1,081 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My wife and I normally use this hotel as our base when staying in NYC. We were transiting on this occasion on our way home and we only stayed for one night. We arrived late, at about midnight, and requested a late checkout (both of which we had previously notified). The receptionist was mediocre to say the least. He gave a lot of guff - first 1pm, then maybe 12.30pm, and then maybe 12 pm (ie no late check-out!). When I advised him that we were essentially regulars, checking in late, and just looking for a late checkout at about 1pm, he eventually agreed.
On arrival to our room it was very disappointing - it was dull, not very clean, with a seemingly abandoned press, and a poorly functioning tv. Overall poor.
We went wandering early the next morning and arrived back about 12 pm after brekkie (at the lovely Pershing Bridge cafe across from Grand Central). On arrival, we found ourselves locked out of our room. Thankfully a kind porter let us into our room, after which we received two phone calls from reception to check that we were actually going to leave while we tried to pack and get ready. To top it off, when we got to reception at about 12.45pm, we had to queue for about 15 mins and were greeted by a rude receptionist and doorman.
For all of this, over a 12-hour period, we were charged E220!
I think that this hotel has seriously deteriorated since our last stay. The staff are rude and the overall hotel is poorly maintained. I think that they are taking advantage of the Irish contingent that regularly stay there, charging exorbitant prices for the quality offered. We would have considered ourselves regulars, but there are better hotels for a similar price in NYC. We have already advised some family members on their first visit to NYC to pick somewhere else, and we won't be back. Disappointing to see a previously good hotel lose basic standards and not appreciate their customers.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Back again but regrettably I have realised that there is a remarkable degree of inconsistency at this hotel.

I was to make 2 visits to this hotel in the space of a week. On the first night I was allocated a lovely room on the 9th floor overlooking 44th st. Although the rooms are not particularly large in this hotel this room still had plenty of space and was spotlessly clean. The large TV was appreciated but more about that later.

However a few nights later I returned and received what I can only describe as a box room on the 5th floor (Room 505). All day and night I could hear staff and guests marching up and down the corridor, it felt like my bed was literally in the hallway. A tiny television hung from the corner of the room, much different to the TV provided in the previous one. The cleaning was certainly not up to scratch with hairs all over the bathrooms and balled up tissue under the bed. There was no view from the room, just a dark brick wall yet the room became excrutiatingly warm even though there was snow on the ground outside. When I switched on the AC unit it rattled to life and remained louder then a steam train for the rest of my visit. This merely gave me the choice of a sweaty sleepless night or a noisy sleepless night!!!!!! Also between my suitcase and the furniture there was little space for anything else, even trying to set up the ironing board was like a game of tetris.

Despite this I still find the staff to be wonderful and charming and I absolutely love the Wheeltapper Pub....not just because it reminds me of home but the outdoor decked area is fantastic even in the cold winter months. I also returned again for my Irish Breakfast which is second only to my own home made one!

I dont mind small pokey rooms in old buildings like this but when they seem to be neglected in such a manner it is then that I become critical. My reviews of this hotel have always been up and down but on this occassion alas I have noticed a trend. I seriously hope something gets done about it or my last review may be the last decent one I give!

Room Tip: AVOID 505 or any of the 05 rooms!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Irishstandards,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us and I would very much like to make it up to you. We do have a wide selection of rooms in varying locations and I would be happy to arrange a room that meets you preferences.

Once again, I do apologize for your most recent stay and hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Leitrim, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Myself and my boyfriend stayed at the grad central for 4 nights and it was totally worth it. The room was perfect not too small which is what we expected for new york, very spacious, comfortable bed, wardrobe space, clean bathroom and had a coffee machine!! The hotel was comfortable and clean and we really felt at home in Ireland in it. We ate 2 nights in the wheel tapper bar and it was delish, good selection of food they even had Lyons tea!! Breakfast was also delish with lots to choose from. the wheeltapper bar was buzzing every night we stayed and was great fun yet the rooms were lovely and quiet you would forget u are in the heart of NYC. The staff were very helpful and friendly they even printed out our boarding pass and helped us flag down a city cab back to the airport! The hotel its self is in a fab location grand central station is across the road and 5th avenue is under a 5 min walk! All in all it was a lovely experience and we will definitely be going back again and telling all family and friends about it too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear NiamhLeitrim,

I am very happy to read that you and you boyfriend enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We were originally booked at the Hilton Doubletree in the Financial District, but even two weeks after Hurricane Sandy the hotel didn't have hot water - nor did they let us know before we arrived that they didn't have hot water. Needless to say, we needed to book another room quickly. Easytobook had the cheapest rates so we picked the Fitzpatrick and got a Deluxe room. When we arrived a couple hours later, our reservation had not gone through to their reservation database so we left our bags and walked around a bit and came back at their suggested time of 4:45 PM. Our reservation STILL had not come through but thankfully I had gone to a Starbucks (free wifi!!) and downloaded our confirmation email from Easytobook. The hotel honoured our reservation (because we had the confirmation email) and gave us 4 free drink tickets to their pub thats attached (Taj was AWESOME). The price ended up being a bit more USD than the actual confirmation email had said (maybe becasue it includes tax that wasn't shown on the Easytobook website), but it gave us a place to sleep. Therefore my review is as follows: the Fitzpatrick is a fantastic hotel to stay at, but a little on the pricey side (service was amazing, but the rooms were lacking a lot - we had a fire alarm in our room have the low battery beeping at 2:00 AM and that was really no fun after a long day). Easytobook was a let down. The reservation never went through (maybe becasue we made the reservation same day - but then they should not offer that option if this is what is going to happen).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear worldtravellerghh,

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received.

Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed in this hotel right before hurricane Sandy. The big pluses of the hotel is its central and convenient location (across the Grand Central Station in the middle of Manhattan) and the very friendly and accommodating staff. The rooms are generally small (typical for NY) and the one I've got had only one window overlooking a wall. Not ideal, if you are claustrophobic. On the other hand, the room was very quiet, especially considering there was construction going on in the area at night at that time. The bathroom was spotless clean, but the carpet in the room needed cleaning. In the corridor there was a slight smell of mold. Probably because there is not much aeration in this area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear family_travel66,

nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I were left without power at our home after the storm and made the decision to stay at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central based on the reviews on this site and the hotel's proximity to our office which was only a 1/2 block away.

We were truly happy with the quality of the property overall. It is a clean, comfortable boutique hotel that is priced reasonably for the standard in Manhattan. The beds are comfortable, the bathroom spotlessly maintained. The overall feeling of the hotel is very much like a good small hotel in Europe. It is not glamorous, but very clean and comfortable. There is a pub/restaurant downstairs that is lively and fun to have a cocktail in and we enjoyed delicious martinis there. We didn't sample any of the menu, but many folks were happily eating. We stayed for five nights total. We had requested a quiet room on a high floor away from the elevator and received just that in our assigned room, room 915.

What really made the experience special, even enjoyable, during such a stressful time was the absolutely wonderful attention and consideration we received from virtually every staff member we encountered here throughout the hotel. The people at the front desk, including John, Elizabeth, Marilyn, Lucia, Taj and Kelly were all lovely and professional and went out of their way to assist us. I must make special mention of Leeann, who at age 22 has more grace and wit under pressure than most people three times her age ( which i almost am!). She is a very special young woman.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again and recommend the hotel highly. It was a very pleasant port in a very nasty storm.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear countess57,

I do hope you are recovering from the storm and life is returning to normal. I am glad to see we were able to assist you and do appreciate your kind comments about John, Marilyn, Lucia, Taj, Kelly and LeAnn.

Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

Been to Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel? Share your experiences!