“Great value for money. Excellent location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wellington Hotel

You added Wellington Hotel to your Saves list
Wellington Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   871 7th Avenue at W 55th St, New York City, NY 10019-3830 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Exclusive 28% OFF!!!
Ranked #326 of 457 Hotels in New York City
Kirkcaldy, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Great value for money. Excellent location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews prior to our five night trip in april we were worried that the hotel was not up too much and we should off booked elsewhere. How wrong were we the hotel itself was in a fantastic location minutes away from rockefeller and radio city, ten minute walk to times square and all the top tourist attractions. Staff were friendly. Bellboys very nice and helpfull and we didn't find anything outdated about the hotel. We booked standard room and was pleasentley surprised with the room we got. Our room was on the 4th floor cleaned daily, fresh towels, with ample space for four adults with a king size bed and two queen beds, bathroom, mini kitchen with microwave and fridge. For the money we paid was excellent value and would highly recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a bargain stay in new york. However the cafe at hotel was slightly overpriced compared to other places in the area. Taxis were available outside hotel and were very cheap if u don't want to walk anywhere split between four of us cost us couple of dollars each. Would definitely stay here if ever return to new york.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Turkish first
Shakopee,MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

I just got home from a 2 day stay at The Wellington. The hotel is old and dingy. I booked through Orbitz and paid more for a Deluxe Room with 2 double beds. When we checked in they sent us to our room which was a suite with one double bed and a pull out sofa. I called and they told me they had given me a " free " upgrade. They never mentioned this when I checked in.i do not feel sleeping on a sofa bed is an upgrade. So, I asked for the deluxe room I had paid for. We were sent to a small dingy room with 2 beds. So, I called the front desk again. The girl t the front desk was rude and said that was the room I was getting. I asked to all to the manager who was also very rude. He said, " We knew you would not like that room so we gave you a free upgrade." I told him I did not want the free upgrade I jut wanted the room I booked. He told me no and if I was unhappy with the room it was my problem. So, we stayed in the small dingy room with 2 beds. I will be asking for a refund from Orbitz. There are many other hotels in the area. I will book one of them next time.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
west midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stAyed here jan 2013 for four nights. Excellent location. Staff very helpful. Basic rooms but cleaned everyday and new towels daily. You don't sit in your room when you are in New York! The bed was so comfy and welcome sight after seeing this fabulous city. Would recommend this hotel especially as the location is perfect.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed at the Wellington because I couldn't bring myself to pay $400/nt at the Hilton, even though I am a Hilton Diamond. I really couldn't find anything to complain about with this hotel. The location is probably the best thing, close to everything. The room was clean but small. so if you can't handle a small room(especially the bathroom) this might not be the hotel for you.

But if you want to stay in Midtown at an older hotel with some character and not take out a second mortgage. I would give the Wellington a try and see if it fits the bill.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Good location - lots of attractions within walking distance and a subway station right outside. We got upgraded from a double room to a suite so this was a bonus. Hotel staff are friendly enough. The safe is behind reception but they give you a key and ask for signatures so it is quite secure. The only thing I'd say is that the bathroom was small but other than that I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bradford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Situated on the corner of 7th avenue and 55th street this hotel is ideally situated, a ten minute walk southbound and you are in Times Square, five minutes north and you are in Central Park just away from all the hullaballoo but close enough to enjoy it. The hotel lobby and reception area is a little cramped. when a coach party arrives it does not cope well, fortunately for us we arrived early evening and it was quiet.
The rooms were very small but we expected that from other reviewers, just coming from Vegas with their enormous rooms made it worse. But it was clean and the bathroom manageable. There are no coffeee and tea making facilities in the rooms, rather annoying when you need that hit of caffine in the morning and you're on the 18th floor any every other guest in the hotel is trying to use the elevators.
The safety deposit boxes are located at the desk next to reception and although free to use their is a charge of $100 if you lose your key, be warned. There is no bar or lounge area, very strange for a hotel, but there is a restaurant which we did not use, instead opted for the cafe at the front of the building attached to the hotel but think it independent of it, the burgers are to die for and very reasonable.
We enjoyed our stay here because of where it was not because of what it was.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sylva, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The Wellington was a very nice hotel! You can't beat the location. We were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go which was ideal. The suites were very nice, and the price was not bad at all considering the location. There were plenty wonderful places to eat within a couple of blocks of the hotel. Not to mention all of the wonderful places to shop!!! Staying at the Wellington was a great experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Wellington Hotel? Share your experiences!