“Good locale - Mediocre room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wellington Hotel

You added Wellington Hotel to your Saves list
Wellington Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   871 7th Avenue at W 55th St, New York City, NY 10019-3830 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Exclusive 28% OFF!!!
Ranked #324 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“Good locale - Mediocre room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Great location but hotel has seen better days. The lobby gives you the impression you are in a nice, grand hotel but the rooms tell another story. Our room was small, outdated and bed was too bouncy and noisy. No concierge, no night security so anyone could walk in. I went to visit my family at the Hilton a few blocks away and there is something to be said about the chain hotels. Next time --I'll pay a little more to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed a total of 12 nights. The rooms were comfortable but aged and it shows. The staff were in general good, a few exceptional and one in particular was appalling and we left 2 days early and moved to the Sheraton a few blocks down because of how rude, insulting and demeaning he was. The night manager. We tried to calmly reason with this brute on 3 separate occasions but he was so mean it really tarnished our whole trip. In fairness, after 10 days were paid there was a problem with my Mum's credit card. It was difficult to resolve due to the time difference in Australia. This was explained to staff and though the extra nights were actually covered with an authorisation, we were locked out of our room twice and my mother forced to sit in the lobby for a few hours like a naughty child. He spoke to her like a criminal and was very personal in the attacking comments he made to her. He upset my mum and sister so greatly we asked my extremely professional business woman aunt to deal with him on her behalf. He was just as unfeeling and utterly unreasonable with her. This was a small problem and if he handled it with any level of professionalism it could've been dealt with easily, but his arrogance and condescending nature changed it to a really heartbreaking end to what would've been a nice trip. Until he is fired, DON'T STAY HERE is my advice.

• Stayed April 2013
Limerick, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel is well located for sightseeing in New York. It is not a great hotel though. The staff are friendly and the room was clean - the room was small but I suppose that is to be expected in New York.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Canceled flight and needed a place to crash for the night. The location is good, 10 mins north of Times square by foot and close to the subway. Room was dated and smelled musty but could not really complain for the price

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I'm sorry to say I was disappointed in this hotel, although I would give it 10 out 10 for location it was the worst place I have ever stayed in on my 6 trips to the USA. The bedroom was small the bathroom was small the air con made a funny noise. On arrival I was unpacking and about to hang my clothes in the small wardrobe but there was that much dust on the rail I had to go to reception ( with dust on my hand to show ) and complain, she said sorry and she would send a housekeeper to clean it while we were out, this did not happen, I cleaned it myself with a damp tissue and took it to reception to show that I had cleaned it myself and she said "sorry" and then " so it's clean then" . Well I thought let it go,the bed although small was clean and comfy and we weren't going to be in the room that much. All in all we had a great hol and most of the staff in hotel were helpful but I will not be staying there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on our first visit to New York couldn't have been happier with the location and were pleased with the facilities, very basic, not fancy, but as we were busy enjoying the city it didn't matter. Only complaint was the heater didnt work properly and it was very cold.

• Stayed January 2013
Centereach, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The Wellington was great. It wasn't fancy but an excellent bargain. The room was nice and clean. The people were very nice and funny and made you feel at home.The staff were very helpful and very friendly They upgraded us to a king room for free without us even asking,The best thing about the Wellington was the location. It was excellent, a block from Broadway, a few blocks from Times Square, 3 blocks from Central Park and a few blocks from Fifth Avenue and of course...right across from the Famous Carnegie Deli. We look forward to staying there again. Thank you.

Room Tip: Sime bathrooms were updated and a bit nicer. You have to go to lobby for ice so you may want to get...