“UES-Out of the way, not a bad thing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Bentley Hotel

You added The Bentley Hotel to your Saves list
The Bentley Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 East 62nd Street, Between York Ave and FDR Drive, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #215 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Princeton, New Jersey
“UES-Out of the way, not a bad thing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

The Bentley is a BOUTIQUE hotel. If you keep that in mind, you won't be disappointed.

Do they do things the same as a chain? NO.
Do you get free wi-fi and free crappy coffee in your room? No.
Is the bathroom small (but manageable)? Yes.
Does it have a TV that works and enough outlets in the room? Yes!
Is it a Ritz Carlton? No -- but then again, it is not trying to be one, and it sure blows a Courtyard out of the water.

This is not a frequent flier/business person's cookie cutter hotel that looks the same in every city you go to for your work meetings. This is a hotel for someone who wants a cool room in a real neighborhood in NYC that does not hover over Times Square. But, it is a high rent district, so some things are not included in the room like they are in big box brands, and it is NY, so expect to pay more for EVERYTHING. This is no different than any other hotel in the city. Another reviewer complained that a large bottle of Fiji Water was $8. Everything is at your fingertips out the front door, so if you want the one on your nightstand, you're paying for the convenience.

By NY standards, the suites are HUGE. The bed is comfortable, the view is great, the water pressure in the shower is good.

(Hint: the water has to travel up X number of floors, so plan ahead ---turn it on, in TUB mode, about 5 minutes before you want to get in and let it run~~ then when it's hot, flip on the shower. Had I just gotten in immediately and tried to bathe, I would have thought there was no hot water. Plus, opening the spigot all the way to "9 oclock" was actually too far, "Hot" was at about 11 oclock on the handle. Once I figured out the secret, I had a nice hot shower. I read one reviewer's comment that the pipes made an awful noise. Once the hot water was running and I could play with the handle, I got that noise to stop. It's an older office building that was converted into a hotel so from a plumbing standpoint, it makes sense that it might take a while for the hot water to get up that far. I only bring this up because some people walk into a hotel and then rip it apart if it wasn't just built yesterday and has some quirks). I tilted the shower head down a little bit and took a perfectly normal shower without flooding the bathroom (also as another reviewer mentioned. Not quite sure what they were doing in there!!)

The hotel is located near TONS of good restaurants including a great diner, so I don't understand why it's a big deal that the hotel's breakfast isn't good. This is NY! Go out and explore! If you're really a creature of habit, there's a SBux less than a block away, and the Food Emporium under the bridge has an ILLY coffee bar (a block and a half). I had Tapas, Sushi and Thai food and walked past Italian, Deli and barbeque without even breaking a sweat (and it was 90 degrees outside).

The bed is comfy, the A/C worked, the door locked, nice robes in the closet, housekeeping came when I called, the front desk was friendly, the place was spotless. Truly, what else do you need?

Tip: There's a brand new bidding (name-your-price) site just for boutique hotels that they're listed with~~you can use it if you're coming in on short notice (less than a month away) and score a pretty good savings.

Room Tip: Stay higher up to cut down on the street noise, and use the free earplugs they leave you in the bath...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Joseph R, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear OneGreatSmile,

Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful review from your recent stay at The Bentley Hotel. Wow, you could be a travel writer. I am sure the Trip Advisor community will appreciate your comments and find the review quite useful. We encourage our guests to do all the necessary research before choosing a hotel so that they may select the right one for their needs. At The Bentley Hotel we offer spacious, well-appointed rooms (many of which have phenomenal views of the East River and 59th Street Bridge). In addition, we have a lobby bar where we brew Starbucks coffee in the morning and in the evening provide full cocktail service. We also are lucky to have a staff of humble people all committed to providing genuine and quality guest service. If you should ever need assistance at The Bentley, please contact me directly at gm@bentleyhotelnyc.com. Thank you for the great review and we hope to welcome you back to The Bentley Hotel soon.

Joseph Rauer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I wouldn't go back for several reasons: no complimentary wifi or breakfast. Cleanliness was an issue. Beds were comfy, close to Central Park. We enjoyed it, it was okay. Staff good but no wash clothes!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Joseph R, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear E. B.

Thank you for the review from your recent stay at The Bentley Hotel. It is great to see that you enjoyed our comfy beds and the service by our friendly front desk staff. It is disappointing to see that you would not wish to return. Please reach out to me via email at gm@bentleyhotelnyc.com. I would love for you to give us another chance. I am sure we can meet and exceed your expectations your next visit.

Toms River
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Under the circumstances of our trip to NYC, which was medical, our stay at the Bentley was enjoyable. The staff went out of their way to make sure our needs were met and very compassionate to our situation.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Joseph R, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Dear Teresa K,

Thank you for the review from your recent stay at The Bentley Hotel. It is great to see that our hotel and staff was flexible and met your specific needs. We offer a comfortable and relaxing experience to all of our guests and especially those visiting and nearby hospitals. The comfort of our guests is our highest priority. If you should ever need assistance at The Bentley, please contact me directly at gm@bentleyhotelnyc.com.
Thank you for staying with us.

Midland, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Since it was the first time for me and my friends to visit New York and it was such a short trip in mid of busy working schedule, we were willing to pay a bit more for nicer hotel. We went there while they were still doing renovation, so the hotel doesn't look nice from outside. It's a boutique hotel so don't expect fancy big hotel like Hilton. I expected with the price we paid, there will be at least free wifi, free drinking water and coffee/tea maker in the room. I don't remember but it was like 4 bucks for a bottle of small drinking water?? Wifi, I can get for free in a 30bucks a night hostel. And yeah, if you want to use the fridge it will be another fees. The furniture was not new but the room was nice. It does help that the staffs were polite and professional.
We got a room with about 20% view of the Queensboro bridge so it wasn't much. The last night we were there we went to the bar upstairs, and met with the restaurant manager that was kindly led us to the top roof to get full view of the surrounding Manhattan area. The view was amazing! It did diffused lots of my frustration with the room.
Online rating of the hotel was four star but to be honest 4 star is only the price, facilities and anything else are more like 2 stars for me.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear travel_aki,

Thank you for the review from your December 2013 visit to The Bentley Hotel. We welcome all guest feedback as it gives us an opportunity to improve the product and service we offer. I am glad you had an opportunity to visit our restaurant, Prime at The Bentley. The view is incredible. I would like to have an opportunity to welcome you back. We have many room options with various views and layouts. I would be happy to help you find the perfect one for you.

Peru, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed 3 nights with our teen girls. This hotel is very nice, and the view is absolutely spectacular. The room is not very big, and the beds seemed small. But the view, the staff and the location were all top notch.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor, either facing the Queensboro Bridge or the East River
Dear jeannie_b73,

Thank you for the great feedback on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled you enjoyed your family enjoyed your experience and the view from your room. Many of our rooms offer a uniquely breathtaking view of the 59th Street Bridge and East River. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Bentley Hotel.

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This hotel was suggested to me by a colleague as it was close to my final destination. That was true enough, but getting there from the train station midafternoon was a little tough. The hallway and room both smelled a little smoky, and the 12th floor room was oddly L-shaped. I would have liked a desk to work at and free wired internet, or even wireless if only in the lobby. None of the above were to be had; even average chains offer these. Rather noisy outside, mostly sirens...I had never seen earplugs included in the bathroom before. Breakfast was not included, this is typically included at much cheaper places: I realize this in NYC, but honestly...could be OK enough for close by quick trips but that is all I would recommend for.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jeff P,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review from you stay The Bentley Hotel on Trip Advisor. We welcome all guest feedback as it gives us an opportunity to improve the product and service we offer. I appreciate your comments and will take them into consideration when making changes to our operation. Please contact me directly at gm@bentleyhotelnyc.com if you would like to discuss your experience or if you need any assistance. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Bentley Hotel.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We booked the hotel after going through reviews on Tripadvisor and were extremely happy with the choice we made. We stayed for 4 nights and 5 days and had travelled to New York to celebrate my husband's birthday. Since it was a special occasion, I got in touch with the General Manager who with his prompt, timely and efficient assistance helped me in making it a memorable stay for all of us. He was very accommodative of all the requests I had made and not only did he along with his team meet our expectations but they definitely exceeded all our expectations.
The deluxe room with two double beds was very comfortable with a beautiful view of the Queensboro bridge. There was a letter from the GM which pre-informed us of the construction work that would be going on during the morning hours. However, that hardly made a difference since we would mostly be out sightseeing. Staff at Front Desk was helpful.
Overall, a wonderful stay. We shall definitely come back and also recommend to family/friends.

Room Tip: Room on a higher floor with a view of the Queensboro bridge!
Dear Devika C,

Thank you for taking the time to post a detailed review from your most recent stay at The Bentley Hotel. It was a pleasure to have you and your family stay with us. I post my email address on Trip Advisor so guests can contact us with requests. The more we know about our arriving guests, the better we can tailor a personal experience and exceed their expectations. I am glad you reached out to me prior to arrival. If you ever need assistance at our hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you soon.

gm@bentleyhotelnyc.com

Been to The Bentley Hotel? Share your experiences!