“OK - not what we expected” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Bentley Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Bentley Hotel to your Saves list
The Bentley Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 East 62nd Street, Between York Ave and FDR Drive, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #222 of 451 hotels in New York City
Utuado, Puerto Rico
“OK - not what we expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The hotel advertises views of the East River and 59th Street Bridge ... it may have had the views at one time but no longer. The rooms are very small with only the bare necessities. We brought our own luggage both up to and down from the room - not a big deal but the front desk had told us they would do it. The hotel was clean but disappointing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Virginia C,

Thank you for you for your recent posting on trip advisor, we definitely do appreciate your feedback as it always helps us to improve our standards as well as our level of service. I do apologize that the view of the room did not meet your expectations. It always depends on the room type that was booked. Unfortunately not all of our room types are facing the bridge and river and if this is your preferred view I would recommend booking a Deluxe King or a Junior Suite if you would ever be so kind and join us again.
In regards to the room size kindly note that our average room size is about 250 sq. ft to 300 sq. ft which is quite spacious comparing to a usual New York sized room which is about 150 sq. ft. at other hotels.

Again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused during your visit to New York.

Please do not hesitate to contact me next time your travels bring you to NYC so I can personally make sure that you are reserved for a room according to your needs.

1,179 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chillicothe, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Wonderful hotel! Most comfortable bed and linens. Esmee and Azzy were particularly helpful in teaching us how to navigate the subway system, providing maps and detailed directions. We did not dine in the hotel's restaurant, as it was kosher, but the menu seemed impressive. The drinks at the bar were wonderful. Staff did everything they could to meet our needs - bringing up ice in the ice bucket, and silverware! We are going to stay here again during our next visit to NYC

One word of caution - and not about the hotel. Don't take the bicycle driven taxi rides. They are a HUGE rip off!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Junior Suite. The view was amazing, and it was spacious compaired to other hotels we...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear JMarie681,

Thank you so much for your great review on trip advisor. I am so delighted to hear that you had a wonderful time at our property and moreover that my team was able to assist you with all your needs. Such great feedback is always very refreshing and I will definitely share your great experience with my colleagues. I look forward to welcoming you next time your travels bring you to NYC, please do not hesitate to reach out to me for future assistance.

NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Given the sumptuous photographs and self-aggrandizing found on their website, the Bentley Hotel bills itself as a luxury experience, but only somewhat delivers. Touting a location that is practically in the East River is questionable at best, but a little (well, a lot) of walking is not unusual in these parts. Still, it remains a decent trek to get to the nearest subway, or a semi-decent restaurant for that matter. (The one on premises, based on breakfast alone, was not worth the flyer advertising it. If it’s impossible to discern a difference between the bacon and the sausage in taste and consistency, something is not being done correctly.) But this is not a restaurant review (luckily for them).

The hotel itself is a non-descript square of a building, announcing itself only in the large silver-hued ‘500’ sign to designate the address. It’s a bad sign when the cab driver asks if I’m sure there’s a hotel in that location, but just before we drive into the river it comes into view. On this muggy day, the lobby has not yet turned the AC to high, and I swat away a mosquito (that eventually follows us into the elevator).

Check-in staff is polite and friendly, especially with each other, and that’s always good to see. For an early Friday afternoon, it is remarkably quiet, and my Mom and I are the only ones checking in it seems. We are issued a room, and the three of us ride up to the 16th floor (myself, my Mom, and the mosquito) to be greeted by a single King bed. I’m pretty sure I didn’t reserve a King bed when planning this trip with my mother (we’re close, but not that close), so we return to the front desk to see if they have a room with two doubles. After making sure that I knew I had reserved a single King bed, the agent says she will try to find a room with two doubles which, miraculously (given the bustling, empty lobby), she immediately does.

Whether retaliatory or not, the room is adequate and pretty to look at, but comes with a few minor flaws. Given that we’d already gone down to the front desk once, I wasn’t going to make a big deal about it then. I will now. The air conditioning unit is one of the loudest I have heard. When it kicks on in the night, you are going to be awakened. The loud drilling from a room next door (betrayed by the noise, and the long industrial extension cord snaking through the hallway) goes on until we depart for the afternoon. A leak from the sink or shower slinks its way around the floor after running the water for a while (necessitating quick showers). A spoke from the sink faucet comes off in my hand (but is easily fixed by screwing it back into place). The room layout is tight as well, and a desk is placed so that it is impossible to reach the drawstring to the curtain without excessive reaching and bending over (bad for a bad back, good for causing one).

These are minor quibbles, it’s true, and none rose to the level that I felt we needed to complain. I note them here as they were part of our stay, and taken together, a lot of little things can add up to a less-than-stellar experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Alan I,

Thank you for your feedback and comments about your recent stay with us. I am very happy to hear that my team was able to accommodate you according to your needs, it is always very refreshing to hear that. Your reservation might have been made through a 3rd party which does not always guarantee the bed type but depends on the hotel's availability.
I do apologize that you had Maintenance issues which inconvenienced your stay. Kindly note that we have an Engineer available 24/7 who could have assisted you. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me next time your travels bring you to the city, so I can reserve the right room for you according to your needs. I look forward to welcoming you.

Dear Alan I,

Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed at the Bentley by indication of friends. Actually the only different thing it has is the nice view of Queensboro bridge. The rooms are small,the quality of the materias in the rooms is not good and I personally prefer other regions of NYC to stay. For the same price, there are many interesting options to stay.

Room Tip: Check other options before booking here.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
John S, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Good Morning Cquieroz,

Thank you for the recent posting on TripAdvisor, we do appreciate your feedback as it assists us in improving the level of service and product that we provide to our guests. I would like to apologize that the square footage in your guest room, did not meet your expectations.

Our traditional room types range from 250 sq. ft to 300 sq. ft. If one was to compare this to New York City hotels, this is actually on the larger side of hotel rooms in New York. Many hotels in New York have guest rooms that are closer to 150 sq. ft. so here at The Bentley, we pride ourselves on being able to provide guests a reasonable size space while staying with us.

As it relates to the quality of the guest room, our last full guest room renovation was in 2007. We maintain the guest rooms to the best of our ability from a maintenance and cleanliness stand point., on an ongoing basis.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it.

John Sinclair
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Bentley Hotel. Although the location is somewhat far from many of the tourist areas, I found that it was very easy to find inexpensive ways to get to where I wanted to go. The room was incredible. The hotel staff was great, especially Roopesh, who made my stay exceptionally welcoming! My only recommendation is to avoid the expensive breakfast. The wait staff and the view are wonderful, but the price is just not worth it. Go to the diner up the street!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Kar000,

Thank you for your wonderful trip advisor feedback about your recent stay with us. I am very happy to hear that my team members went above and beyond to satisfy all your needs while enjoying you time here. We definitely appreciate your comments in regards to the breakfast. I have forwarded review to our executive team and who will have a look into that. I look forward to welcoming you next time your travels bring you to NYC, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed here during a consult at Memorial Sloan-Kettering. We chose the Bentley because of it's close proximity to the hospital. It is just a short walk of a few blocks to the hospital. The rooms are small but very nice. The elevators took forever but that is my only complaint.

We appreciated the table and chairs as an extra seating area. Our room on the 20th floor was quiet and clean. The bedding was nice and beds were comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We will stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Susan T,

I am so happy to hear that you felt comfortable throughout your recent stay. I understand circumstances are not always enjoyable however I am so glad that we were able to make it easier for you along the way. Thank you for your valuable and honest feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back next time, please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you be needing assistance.

Winston Salem, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We recently stayed at the Bentley Hotel on a long weekend trip to New York..Although the rates were very reasonable by New York standards, the hotel was just average, and needed some basic maintenance. Unless you are taking a cab everywhere the location is a little out of the way, for both walking, and the nearest subway. The front desk staff, bellmen, and management were all very accommodating and professional. We checked in and asked for an upgrade to a room with a view, as featured on the website. The front desk staff gave us a nice room, with a beautiful view on the 18th floor, facing the Queensborough Bridge, and East River. When we arrived at the room, the heat was stifling. Granted it was 95 degrees that day, but the antiquated cooling system was no match for all the heat coming off all the glass. The maintenance crew did their best to get the room cool, but after a second day of heat, we asked to be moved, and were re-accommodated by the front desk to a suite facing north..The new suite was much better, and much more comfortable. The Bentley Hotel would have the potential to be a great place to stay, but some basic building and cooling improvements need to be made first.

Room Tip: Rooms facing south and southwest, may be very hot, in the summer, due to intense midday sun exposure...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear warner50,

Thank you for your valuable and honest feedback. I am very sorry that you faced some maintenance issues during your stay however it is great to hear that my team was able to assist you with the problems. I am very happy that you enjoyed the views of our property. Please contact me the next time you are travelling to the city so I can personally take care of your future bookings and requests. I look forward to welcoming you.

Esmee K.

Been to The Bentley Hotel? Share your experiences!