“Not worth as many hotels in NYC” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Bentley Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Bentley Hotel to your Saves list
The Bentley Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 East 62nd Street, Between York Ave and FDR Drive, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #227 of 452 hotels in New York City
Sao Paulo, SP
“Not worth as many hotels in NYC”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed at the Bentley by indication of friends. Actually the only different thing it has is the nice view of Queensboro bridge. The rooms are small,the quality of the materias in the rooms is not good and I personally prefer other regions of NYC to stay. For the same price, there are many interesting options to stay.

Room Tip: Check other options before booking here.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
John S, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Good Morning Cquieroz,

Thank you for the recent posting on TripAdvisor, we do appreciate your feedback as it assists us in improving the level of service and product that we provide to our guests. I would like to apologize that the square footage in your guest room, did not meet your expectations.

Our traditional room types range from 250 sq. ft to 300 sq. ft. If one was to compare this to New York City hotels, this is actually on the larger side of hotel rooms in New York. Many hotels in New York have guest rooms that are closer to 150 sq. ft. so here at The Bentley, we pride ourselves on being able to provide guests a reasonable size space while staying with us.

As it relates to the quality of the guest room, our last full guest room renovation was in 2007. We maintain the guest rooms to the best of our ability from a maintenance and cleanliness stand point., on an ongoing basis.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it.

1,174 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Bentley Hotel. Although the location is somewhat far from many of the tourist areas, I found that it was very easy to find inexpensive ways to get to where I wanted to go. The room was incredible. The hotel staff was great, especially Roopesh, who made my stay exceptionally welcoming! My only recommendation is to avoid the expensive breakfast. The wait staff and the view are wonderful, but the price is just not worth it. Go to the diner up the street!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Kar000,

Thank you for your wonderful trip advisor feedback about your recent stay with us. I am very happy to hear that my team members went above and beyond to satisfy all your needs while enjoying you time here. We definitely appreciate your comments in regards to the breakfast. I have forwarded review to our executive team and who will have a look into that. I look forward to welcoming you next time your travels bring you to NYC, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed here during a consult at Memorial Sloan-Kettering. We chose the Bentley because of it's close proximity to the hospital. It is just a short walk of a few blocks to the hospital. The rooms are small but very nice. The elevators took forever but that is my only complaint.

We appreciated the table and chairs as an extra seating area. Our room on the 20th floor was quiet and clean. The bedding was nice and beds were comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We will stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Susan T,

I am so happy to hear that you felt comfortable throughout your recent stay. I understand circumstances are not always enjoyable however I am so glad that we were able to make it easier for you along the way. Thank you for your valuable and honest feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back next time, please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you be needing assistance.

Winston Salem, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We recently stayed at the Bentley Hotel on a long weekend trip to New York..Although the rates were very reasonable by New York standards, the hotel was just average, and needed some basic maintenance. Unless you are taking a cab everywhere the location is a little out of the way, for both walking, and the nearest subway. The front desk staff, bellmen, and management were all very accommodating and professional. We checked in and asked for an upgrade to a room with a view, as featured on the website. The front desk staff gave us a nice room, with a beautiful view on the 18th floor, facing the Queensborough Bridge, and East River. When we arrived at the room, the heat was stifling. Granted it was 95 degrees that day, but the antiquated cooling system was no match for all the heat coming off all the glass. The maintenance crew did their best to get the room cool, but after a second day of heat, we asked to be moved, and were re-accommodated by the front desk to a suite facing north..The new suite was much better, and much more comfortable. The Bentley Hotel would have the potential to be a great place to stay, but some basic building and cooling improvements need to be made first.

Room Tip: Rooms facing south and southwest, may be very hot, in the summer, due to intense midday sun exposure...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear warner50,

Thank you for your valuable and honest feedback. I am very sorry that you faced some maintenance issues during your stay however it is great to hear that my team was able to assist you with the problems. I am very happy that you enjoyed the views of our property. Please contact me the next time you are travelling to the city so I can personally take care of your future bookings and requests. I look forward to welcoming you.

Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I had a decent experience at the Bentley. The entire hotel staff did make every effort to accommodate all of my needs, including my request to remove the wine from and to restrict my ability to access the alcohol in the room. In particular, I appreciated the professionalism and friendliness of the doormen and the housekeepers. For the most part, I felt welcomed by everyone and that did make my stay there enjoyable.

However, while I thought the size of and the amount of the furniture provided in the room were adequate, the amenities left a lot to be desired. The cable service experienced several interruptions and the air conditioning failed to cool the entire space, particularly during the latter half of my stay when the outside temperatures reached over 90 degrees. Also, it cost over $30 to access the Internet for only three days. I was surprised that there was no complimentary WiFi service, which was available at other NYC hotels at which I have stayed.

I would consider staying there again, even though its location was not very convenient to the city's main attractions. However, next time I will be sure to request a room on one of the higher floors, well above the sixth, as others have recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
John S, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Good Morning darnellcw,

Thank you so much for your recent feedback about your stay with us here at The Bentley. I was happy to hear about the efforts and execution of the associates here at the hotel. As it relates to the quantity of furniture in your guest room, we thank you for this feedback and continue to take this to improve the guest room experience on an ongoing basis.

We certainly did experience significantly hot days a couple of weeks back and the Engineering team was working overtime to ensure the guest room air conditioning units were operating in optimal condition. I am not sure if you called down to request maintenance, but hopefully we had the opportunity to resolve your dissatisfaction with the climate in your guest room.

Cost for internet access is something we continue to closely evaluate. When we compare our services to our competitor hotels, charging for internet is still in place in many hotels. I do understand that many hotels provide complimentary wireless access as well; however.

Depending on your agenda while staying with us here at The Bentley, our location could be very favorable or left to be desired. If Times Square is in your agenda and a 40 minute walk is not, then a cab or cross-town bus are great alternatives. Many of our guests thoroughly enjoy the residential feel to York Ave and the far-east side and that is why they choose to return and stay loyal to us.

Thank you again for your feedback, we truly do appreciate it.

All the best,

Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We recently stayed at the Bentley Hotel for 7 days.

Hotel staff were great apart for one member of the reception team, woman with short black hair. She was horrible. It's as if she had a vendetta against us from when we walked into the door. Very unhelpful. Very rude. Not what we expected for our first hours in newyork.

Called in advance to get a high floor room with a view. She gave is a small room, low floor, no view. Room was flithy, electrical outlets were not working, there were socks and garments left in the cupboard from previous occupants. When we complained she was not helpful said nothing was available. Thankfully the night shift reception woman was lovely, she changed our room for us, provided resturant and lounge suggestions.

Other than the horrible clerk once our room was changed it was much more spacious, clean. Hotel staff was friendly and very accommodating.

Location is a bit far from attractions but only a short cab ride from time square and walk from restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013
Good Morning stayaway1,

Thank you very much for your recent feedback. I am very sorry that we fell far below your expectations with one of our associates and a few other aspects of your guest room. I agree with you, that it is completely unacceptable.

If you would be willing to provide your room number and the dates of your stay, I will certainly fully investigate what went wrong with your guest room and how the associates missed preparing your assigned guest room, to high standards. From a filthy room to non-functioning electrical outlets to items left in a room from the previous guest; these are all unacceptable and I am committed to following up. As it relates to the location; you're absolutely right, if Times Square is in your daily agenda and a 40 minute walk is not, then a cab ride and/or a convenient cross-town bus are good alternatives. There are however, great restaurants within very short walking distance of the hotel; on 1st and 2nd Avenue.

I am glad to hear that your experience was more positive with some of the other hotel associates and I would like to assure you, that is what The Bentley is known for and pride ourselves on.

Kindly provide your dates of stay and room number and I will be sure to follow up with your circumstances and service failures.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a little out of the way but great value for money. The staff are super friendly, the hotel lobby is gorgeous and the rooms, the rooms which was a mini apartment are out of this world. Very spacious for a hotel in New York City and the worlds comfiest bed. Very clean, I would say this was a 4.5* resort. (Location is the only thing letting it down but you see this in the price of the hotel) fantastic!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear CHalliwell,

I am so glad to hear that you had a wonderful time staying with us recently. It is always very refreshing to receive such great feedback and we really appreciate it. Thank you for the great feedback that you have left for us on trip advisor. Please reach out to me directly next time your travels bring you into the city, I look forward to welcoming you.

Esmee K.

Been to The Bentley Hotel? Share your experiences!