“Bentley - nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Bentley Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Bentley Hotel to your Saves list
The Bentley Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 East 62nd Street, Between York Ave and FDR Drive, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #236 of 446 hotels in New York City
“Bentley - nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

It's a very pleasent hotel. The Bentley is located on the Upper East Side, nice and safe neighborhood, but a little too far from the metro. The staff were always very helpful. We would like especially to thank Su, who made all the difference during our stay.

• Stayed May 2013
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Jan S,

Thank you very much for your kind words about your recent stay with us. We certainly do appreciate your comments. I am glad you had a good time. We look forward to welcoming next time you are visiting the city, please reach out to me personally for future assistance.

1,017 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rättvik, Dalarnas Län, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Bentley is a modern hotel, with à really nice restaurant at the 21 nd floor. We were three persons and got a Large room with two twinbeds.
Great view over the river!
Only thing a bit negative was that it is situated to far East on Manhattan.
Otherwise we recommend Bentley warmly!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Jan S,

Branson, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I visit NYC 8 times a year and stay exclusively at the Bentley. Courteous staff and management, clean rooms with some spectacular City and East River views make this a comfortable place to be. I love it's upper east side location which is convenient for getting around. I also appreciate that their rates are always competitive and often lower than comparable hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Tram and get up as high as you can.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Barry W,

Thank you very much for your great trip advisor review about your experience at the Bentley. We feel elated to hear that you always feel special whilst staying with us. Thank you for your refreshing and encouraging feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you to the city to pamper you again.

Esmee K. and the Bentley Hotel
Chesterfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I'm currently sat in room 1805 writing my review of this hotel, I thought I would do it whilst its still fresh in my head.

The staff are excellent, friendly, full of advice and nothing is too much trouble for them. I suspect those who have had problems may be down to personalities. The room we have is small but it's what we expected, still plenty big enough for our needs as we only have luggage for 4 nights.

Regarding the location, it's well within easy reach of of lots of things to do from the hotel lobby we were on 5th Ave in 15 mins, Central Park the same, we only used the subway once as we found the walk more appealing. Last night we walked to Times Square and it took us under 30mins easy. I have read some strange things about the location in some reviews and I can't begin to imagine it would take 30 mins to walk to Central Park unless done backwards.

The only downside to the hotel for us was the restaurant, we were really looking forward to using it but on the two instances we visited, it was closed both times. Perhaps a notice in the Lobby detailing when it was closed for private functions would have been a good idea.

For breakfast we used the Ritz Diner which is about 3 mins walk up the street, good food at great prices and I would recommend it.

Had the hotel Restaurant been available and served good food, I would have probably scored this hotel five stars.

We will use this hotel again next year.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear QuakerChesterfield,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback about your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you had a great time and were happy with the service that was extended to you. I am glad you enjoyed the location and the facilities as well. Your words are very encouraging and refreshing and I will definitely share your great comments with all my staff members. Even more so I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit at the restaurant and I will definitely bring this to the attention of our executive team. Next time your travels bring you to NYC do reach out to me. We look forward to welcoming you in future, let me know if I can be of assistance.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I love this hotel. The views are fantastic, the beds are VERY comfortable and the staff is unbelieveable. I've never had a bad experience at this hotel and have been staying here one night every week for the past four years. It has the feel of a boutique hotel, but away from the hustle bustle of midtown. It gives you the experience of a residential neighborhood as opposed to hotels tucked between office buildings. In the four years I have been a regular here, there have been MANY management changes, but the consistency of having Peter Gallo (manager), Adda (bellman), Jose (front desk) and many others, make the changes inconsequential. Management could learn alot from the employees who have maintained the delightful atmosphere in this hotel. For the price, you won't find a better hotel in NYC!

Room Tip: I like the rooms on the southeast corner. they are more quiet than others. second favorites are on...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Kathryn M,

I am delighted to hear that you are always having a great time when staying with us. Thank you for your great compliments and words. I will definitely share your feedback with our team. We truly have a great team of employees and I am so happy to hear that you feel the same way. Thank you for choosing us as your number one hotel in New York, we truly appreciate your loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you to NYC. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Esmee K. and the Bentley Team
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

The whole experience from the time we checked in, until checkout was great. The staff was able to meet all our requests, we're very friendly, and more than accommodating. Hard to find in this day and time. Customer service is paramount in my eyes and they went above and beyond my expectations. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Sherlee617,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with tripadvisor. I am thrilled that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thank you for your great feedback, I am so proud that our team was able to exceed your expectations and went above and beyond to make you feel comfortable. I will definitely share your comment with our team of employees, your words are very encouraging and refreshing. We look forward to welcoming you again when travels bring you back to NYC. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Firstly don't expect to check-in on time, I would suggest adding on an extra 2 hours to your supposed check-in time. We arrived half an hour after our supposed check-in time, 3.30 pm to be told that our room wasn't ready. There were approximately half a dozen other guests waiting to be checked in to their room also, including one gentleman who had been waiting in the tiny lobby since 11 am and was still waiting for his room key to be issued once we had finally received ours, two hours later.

At first glance everything in the room seemed to be lovely and smart and we felt happy with our choice of hotel. This was the one and only time we felt happy.
We returned to the hotel that same evening expecting an early and decent nights sleep after a long journey. Approaching our room in the very slow elevator there was a lot of noise, we thought Pitbull and J-Lo were partying upstairs. The noise level actually increased as we exited the elevator and made our way towards our room. We expected the noise level to subside at a reasonable hour , unfortunately this did not happen. We phoned down to reception to enquire about the situation, their explanation was that the noise was coming from the restaurant on the top floor. This was privately owned and so they couldn't do anything about it. After we suggested they find us another room they assured us they would sort something out and would call back within ten minutes.
In the meantime we discover there is no hot water in our bathroom, so 45 minutes later they had still not rang us with a solution. Another phone call to reception, still had no success as they reassured us they did not have a problem with hot water in the hotel.
By this time we were exhausted and quite frankly already tired of the lack of service we were receiving. After a trip down to reception and speaking to a hardly competent manager who thought fobbing us off with a free drink from the minuscule bar was the answer. We were then given 2 different room keys are told to select which one we wanted to move to.

It was a hard decision between damp patches on the ceiling and sparking plugs, our mistake was going for the sparking plugs!

To cut a long story short, the rest of our stay at this motel was complete with a broken tv, dodgy a/c, burning plug sockets,broken ipod dock, tripping electricity, the towel rail hanging off the wall, balancing electrical appliances on top of a suitcase, bin and book to gain electricity and incompetant and rude members of staff was not my idea of a "boutique NYC hotel style and flair".

Upon leaving the hotel we once again shared our thoughts and experience of our stay with the hotel manager, he assured us that the hotel prided themselves on outstanding customer service, not a chance in our opinion.

We were so disgusted with the hotel service, we since made a formal complaint to our travel agent about our stay, the hotels response was shockingly poor, but again I suppose that is the running theme.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
John S, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Good Afternoon S G,

FIrst and foremost, and on behalf of the entire hotel, please accept my sincere apology for the series of issues you had during your recent stay with us.

As it relates to the inability to get access to your room, I could not agree with you more; this is completely unacceptable. We typically do not have any challenges with room readiness, if you would be willing to share your stay dates, I would very much like to investigate what occurred on your arrival day.

Our partnership with the restaurant continues and your feedback is well received. We do meet with them regularly and this will be a topic of discussion on how to manage this moving forward. Our ultimate goal is to strike a balance between excellent patron entertainment is the restaurant and exceeded guest expectations in the hotel. From time to time, they do accept private events in their establishment, again we apologize that this significantly affected your experience.

Regarding the many issues in the guestroom and the staff interactions that you had; I would like to speak with you in person about your experience. I am best reached at jsinclair@amsterdamhospitality.com. If you would like to provide a date, time and phone number to reach you, I would very much appreciate further details.

John Sinclair

Been to The Bentley Hotel? Share your experiences!