“Best Value in NYC!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Bentley Hotel

You added The Bentley Hotel to your Saves list
The Bentley Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 East 62nd Street, Between York Ave and FDR Drive, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #217 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Cleveland, Ohio
“Best Value in NYC!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I love this hotel. The views are fantastic, the beds are VERY comfortable and the staff is unbelieveable. I've never had a bad experience at this hotel and have been staying here one night every week for the past four years. It has the feel of a boutique hotel, but away from the hustle bustle of midtown. It gives you the experience of a residential neighborhood as opposed to hotels tucked between office buildings. In the four years I have been a regular here, there have been MANY management changes, but the consistency of having Peter Gallo (manager), Adda (bellman), Jose (front desk) and many others, make the changes inconsequential. Management could learn alot from the employees who have maintained the delightful atmosphere in this hotel. For the price, you won't find a better hotel in NYC!

Room Tip: I like the rooms on the southeast corner. they are more quiet than others. second favorites are on...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Kathryn M,

I am delighted to hear that you are always having a great time when staying with us. Thank you for your great compliments and words. I will definitely share your feedback with our team. We truly have a great team of employees and I am so happy to hear that you feel the same way. Thank you for choosing us as your number one hotel in New York, we truly appreciate your loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you to NYC. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Esmee K. and the Bentley Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

The whole experience from the time we checked in, until checkout was great. The staff was able to meet all our requests, we're very friendly, and more than accommodating. Hard to find in this day and time. Customer service is paramount in my eyes and they went above and beyond my expectations. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Sherlee617,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with tripadvisor. I am thrilled that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thank you for your great feedback, I am so proud that our team was able to exceed your expectations and went above and beyond to make you feel comfortable. I will definitely share your comment with our team of employees, your words are very encouraging and refreshing. We look forward to welcoming you again when travels bring you back to NYC. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Firstly don't expect to check-in on time, I would suggest adding on an extra 2 hours to your supposed check-in time. We arrived half an hour after our supposed check-in time, 3.30 pm to be told that our room wasn't ready. There were approximately half a dozen other guests waiting to be checked in to their room also, including one gentleman who had been waiting in the tiny lobby since 11 am and was still waiting for his room key to be issued once we had finally received ours, two hours later.

At first glance everything in the room seemed to be lovely and smart and we felt happy with our choice of hotel. This was the one and only time we felt happy.
We returned to the hotel that same evening expecting an early and decent nights sleep after a long journey. Approaching our room in the very slow elevator there was a lot of noise, we thought Pitbull and J-Lo were partying upstairs. The noise level actually increased as we exited the elevator and made our way towards our room. We expected the noise level to subside at a reasonable hour , unfortunately this did not happen. We phoned down to reception to enquire about the situation, their explanation was that the noise was coming from the restaurant on the top floor. This was privately owned and so they couldn't do anything about it. After we suggested they find us another room they assured us they would sort something out and would call back within ten minutes.
In the meantime we discover there is no hot water in our bathroom, so 45 minutes later they had still not rang us with a solution. Another phone call to reception, still had no success as they reassured us they did not have a problem with hot water in the hotel.
By this time we were exhausted and quite frankly already tired of the lack of service we were receiving. After a trip down to reception and speaking to a hardly competent manager who thought fobbing us off with a free drink from the minuscule bar was the answer. We were then given 2 different room keys are told to select which one we wanted to move to.

It was a hard decision between damp patches on the ceiling and sparking plugs, our mistake was going for the sparking plugs!

To cut a long story short, the rest of our stay at this motel was complete with a broken tv, dodgy a/c, burning plug sockets,broken ipod dock, tripping electricity, the towel rail hanging off the wall, balancing electrical appliances on top of a suitcase, bin and book to gain electricity and incompetant and rude members of staff was not my idea of a "boutique NYC hotel style and flair".

Upon leaving the hotel we once again shared our thoughts and experience of our stay with the hotel manager, he assured us that the hotel prided themselves on outstanding customer service, not a chance in our opinion.

We were so disgusted with the hotel service, we since made a formal complaint to our travel agent about our stay, the hotels response was shockingly poor, but again I suppose that is the running theme.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
John S, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Good Afternoon S G,

FIrst and foremost, and on behalf of the entire hotel, please accept my sincere apology for the series of issues you had during your recent stay with us.

As it relates to the inability to get access to your room, I could not agree with you more; this is completely unacceptable. We typically do not have any challenges with room readiness, if you would be willing to share your stay dates, I would very much like to investigate what occurred on your arrival day.

Our partnership with the restaurant continues and your feedback is well received. We do meet with them regularly and this will be a topic of discussion on how to manage this moving forward. Our ultimate goal is to strike a balance between excellent patron entertainment is the restaurant and exceeded guest expectations in the hotel. From time to time, they do accept private events in their establishment, again we apologize that this significantly affected your experience.

Regarding the many issues in the guestroom and the staff interactions that you had; I would like to speak with you in person about your experience. I am best reached at jsinclair@amsterdamhospitality.com. If you would like to provide a date, time and phone number to reach you, I would very much appreciate further details.

John Sinclair
Springfield, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed here for a work conference. They put me on the 20 th floor directly under their restaurant. The restaurant played loud techno music until well after midnight which basically shook my room. They should never put people on this floor who aren't warned about the disturbing music at night. I would never stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
John S, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Good Afternoon Kim B,

I was very sorry to hear of your expereince with us and the private function in Prime completely disturbing you until late in the night. We have since been working very closely to our restaurant partner to find "common ground" in an effort to keep restaurant patrons entertained and exceed the expectations of our hotel guests. I would welcome the opportunity to welcome you back as a guest and I am very confident your experience would be much improved.

Should your travels bring you back to New York, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly by calling the hotel, and I would be gald to assist you.

John S
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I live in NYC but had to stay at the Bentley given proximity to Weill Cornell hospital.

I would describe the Bentley as a cheap and tacky knockoff of the W. The service is awful and there is obviously not a competent manager overseeing the hotel. 1 of 10 times did a valet open the front doors for us, the elevator takes 10 minutes because there are no service elevators, some random housekeeping lady knocked on my door at 1am waking us up and the front desk had no apology whatsoever.

Overall for $400 per night I would at least expect good service. I don't need the nicest room or a view but good service is basic.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
John S, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Good Morning NYC_Traveler_2010_9,

My name is John Sinclair and I am the Hotel Manager here at The Bentley. I am shocked and sorry to hear of the major service mishaps you expeienced during your stay with us; please accept my sincere apology on behalf of the entire hotel. Your comments about our lack of service by no means reflects our ongoing effort to excel in service delivery. I would like to speak with you in person about your experience. I am best reached at jsinclair@amsterdamhospitality.com. If you would like to provide a date, time and phone number to reach you, I would very much appreciate further details.

Thank you.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Nice hotel, okay location. very high rised hotel. Alot of floors. recption staff not very welcoming, which i was suprised about.
Value for money- okay would have expected alot more, very basic to some of the other hotels we have stayed in

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear YRock58,

Thank you for your valuable and honest feedback on trip advisor. I am glad you have enjoyed your recent stay at the Bentley Hotel and the location we are situated in. I am very disappointed however that your experience with the Front Desk was an unusual one. We definitely pride ourselves in customer service therefore I would love for you to contact me next time you are coming in so I would be able to personally take care of you. I look forward to welcoming you.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We booked the Bentley purely because we managed to get a good deal on the price for 3 nights. Hotels in New York City are not cheap but you do pay for what you get, in most cases. The Bentley is located on the Upper East Side, nice and safe neighborhood but not much going on.

The hotel itself is nice enough, however, there are so many things that could make it better. The downstairs bar is poorly designed, however, I guess for the amount of time you spend there this isn't too important. The rooms are nice but again small things that could be improved, air con units are noisy, bathrooms are worn in parts and the shower for a 4 star hotel is old and one of the worst I've experienced in a while. I know these sound like small things but I think its worth pointing out as they're important to some.

The Bentley rooms are small unless you manage to get a corner room. Prior to arriving at the hotel, I requested, based on previous TripAdvisor reviews, a room higher up with views of the bridge if available. On check in this wasn't mentioned and when we arrived to our room on the 11th floor, we discovered our room was overlooking the main noisy road below. I called reception and was bluntly told there were no other rooms available. The next morning we spoke to reception again and they kindly agreed to move our room later that day. When we returned we had been moved to a corner room with fantastic views of the bridge. The rooms themselves regardless of their location are all quite nice with modern decor, however, be warned that those facing the main street at the front of the hotel are very noisy.

If the hotel was in a better location, I would stay here again, however, personally it is quite a distance to the rest of what NYC has to offer. The nearest subway is about 10 mins walk away and it's about a 30 min walk to 5th avenue and Central Park. If location is important to you, I would suggest somewhere more central or an area such as Soho, Greenwich or the Meatpacking District.

One other thing, you do have to pay for internet, which too be honest, in most places these days, as a paying customer you expect to be included in the room charge.

Room Tip: Corner rooms overlooking the Queensboro Bridge are quieter and offer a nice view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Lindsey G,

Thank you for your valuable and honest feedback. I am sorry to hear that the location did not live up to your expectations at this point however I am so glad that we were able to accommodate you according to your needs with corner room with amazing views over river and bridge. If your future travels bring you to NYC please feel free to contact me for further bookings. I look forward to welcoming you.

Esmee K.

Been to The Bentley Hotel? Share your experiences!