“Good Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Bentley Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Bentley Hotel to your Saves list
The Bentley Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 East 62nd Street, Between York Ave and FDR Drive, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #223 of 452 hotels in New York City
“Good Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights and didn't spend much time in the hotel as there was too much to see and do in NY. Room was clean and spacious although wardrobe was a little small. Missed having a kettle in the room but think this is really a British thing. Paid for wifi and mini bar was expensive but expected both of these were expected. Didn't eat in the hotel so can't comment on food at all. Staff were friendly and helpful and the location is spot on - close enough but not slap bang in the middle of loud tourist areas. Would stay again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear littlegibbo123

I am so happy to hear that you had a great time staying with us. We definitely appreciate you kind review and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the room and the area we are situated in. I am glad my team was able to make you feel comfortable during your stay and assist with all your inquiries. Please do not hesitate to contact me next time your travels bring you to New York, I look forward to welcoming you.

1,190 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Fair value, good sized room for NYC, clean, nice area - not in the middle of it all but close enough to not make it a hassle and it was nice to get out of the tourist trap areas at the end of the day.
We had a 14th floor room overlooking the bridge and it was worth the stay for this alone, incredible view.
We visit NYC often and The Bentley will now be our place.
(This is my first Trip Advisor review - signed up just to write it).

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor bridge view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Steve342,

I am very happy to hear that you had a wonderful time at our hotel during your recent stay. It is always a great pleasure to receive such great feedback. Please contact me personally next time your travels bring you to NYC so I can assist you with your reservation.

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel has been the worst hotel choice of our USA trip – by a mile. The room is as you would expect, a reasonable size – not that spacious but from what I’m told in Manhattan it was OK.

Here’s what was NOT ok;

The day we arrive we get there right on our checkin time which was 3pm. We caught the express train instead of the standard train from Washington so we could get to the hotel at 3pm and then go out and start enjoying New York. Instead, our room wasn’t ready so we had to wait 30-40 minutes in the foyer for the cleaners to clean it. We were originally told the room would be ready in 15 minutes, but never got another update till it was finally ready. Poor communication that just never got any better.

That was the beginning of what ended up being a downhill experience.

The new linen often stank. Fresh towels that replaced the used ones often smelt dirty. (I should add, the cleaning staff were very friendly and did a great job cleaning the room - so I didn't have a problem with their work).

You have to pay for WIFI in your room. Not only that, the WIFI keeps going down so when you happen to be in your room and want to use the internet, you often paid for the privilege not to. Also, for some weird reason the password would often reset, meaning you couldn't access your WIFI (which you paid for) without contacting reception to get you a new password - which they would not respond to (more on that later).

On two separate days all of our room keys failed after returning from our day out. That meant going back downstairs and having them re-code the keys. They said it was because they were too close to magnetic fields or other credit cards, but that had nothing to do with it because my son didn't have anything else in his wallet. It was obviously something to do with the hotel system.

The air conditioning is terrible. You have little to no control over the temperature settings, and the air being blown in smells and is dusty. Like, really dusty. I can’t say how much this ruined our experience in this hotel. I’m sure that’s why the three of us got the flu after being here for a few days. At a guess, I think it's just the air conditioning filters that haven't been cleaned for a couple of years. I can't stress this enough, this one issue made the room horrible and it just seemed to get worse and worse.

Reception NEVER calls you back. The WIFI is down – they say they’ll sort it. 2 hours later it’s still down, no update from reception as to what is going on. Another day, the WIFI password isn’t working – so I call and they say they’ll call the provider and connect them to our room. That didn’t happen. Another night the Movie Channel on the TV said ‘Unavailable’. We called reception and told them, they said they would reset it, but didn’t call us back. Over an hour later it still wasn’t working. What’s worse, when you call them, they answer as if you’re bothering them.

Room cleaning – A couple of days we were out all day, then returned around 5 or 6 and our room still hadn’t been cleaned. So we had to call reception to have our towels replaced (again, they sound annoyed that we’re calling them). This meant the beds weren't made/changed as we didn't want to leave while the room was being cleaned.

TV reception – The reception of many channels is shockingly bad. More than half the channels have wavy lines making watching the TV terrible. Also, the picture would often cut out and get distorted for a few seconds while you’re watching one of the few good channels.

Power Outlets – some just didn’t work, others worked for a while, then randomly stopped working, some others wouldn’t even hold your plug in to the connection. It felt like they were a fire hazard if I’m honest.

Bar Fridge - This is stocked up so full of overpriced drinks that you can't bring your own and keep refrigerated. Also, there's no ice machine if you did want to bring your own drinks. When I say overpriced, I mean WAY overpriced. A mini Fiji water 330mL cost $7! In my current hotel in Beverley Hills LA a 1 Litre Fiji water costs $4.

The Prime Restaurant - I'm not sure if this is owned by the hotel or not, but it's on the top floor of the hotel. Our experience here was also bad. The food was expensive (I'm happy to pay for fine dining) but in this case the quality of the food was very average especially for the price ($48 for a steak), half of our order wasn't served and the wait staff were ordinary.

Location - This isn't really the fault of the hotel, but you're a 15 minute walk away from the nearest subway entrance. Plus it's almost all uphill getting there. All the nice cafe's and restaurants are a few blocks away, again uphill to get there.

There was also 2 traffic accidents while we were there, with one of them being a pedestrian hit while crossing the road (seriously hit too, didn't move even once the ambulance arrived). Most days, there were police controlling traffic on that corner, but that didn't stop the pedestrian getting hit. I personally didn't end up liking the location at all, it was just too removed from everything.

We've been travelling the US for 6 weeks and the Bentley was our 6th hotel. It was by far the worst in every way and I would never return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Steve F,

Thank you for your honest and valuable feedback about your recent stay with us. I am very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your vacation as planned and I sincerely would like to apologize for the inconvenience that was caused. I will definitely reach out to my executive team to evaluate your recent experience. We take our guest's comments seriously and use it as a tool to better assist us on making decisions that support the best interest of our customers. We always seek to improve our level of customer service and I am sorry to hear that we could not live up to your expectations this time.
Please contact me directly at the Hotel. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay personally with you in greater detail. I can be reached at ekollenc@amsterdamhospitality.com. I look forward to hearing from you as I know we can do a better job of providing the levels of service you deserve as our valuable guest.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights from 27th March. We found the welcome and general service excellent. The hotel is close enough to central midtown, but far enough away that you're out of the main touristy bits. True, there's no coffee facilities, but the bar downstairs served takeout for reasonable prices. The Ritz diner is good for a hearty breakfast and we had a great meal at Neely's BBQ parlour, and also El Porron Spannish restaurant, both a block or so away.

Our room was a good size and a great view over the Queensborough bridge. My wife found it a little noisy, but it didn't bother me. We also arranged a car for JFK which was only $45 from the hotel desk. We'd definitely stop again, in fact we tried to as we had another night in NY 2 weeks later but they wouldn't do a single night so we ended up at the New Yorker which was much smaller for more money.

In summary, if you don't mind being in a quiter area, and are happy to walk a little, this is a great option.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear sagalout99,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback about your vacation with us. I am so happy to hear you had great time and felt comfortable throughout your stay. We truly have a great team of employees and I am glad that we were able to accommodate you to your satisfaction. Let me know if you have plans to come back to NYC so I can be of assistance for future bookings.

Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

By all means ask for an upper level floor! We were on the 16th so noise not a problem, but the location just off the FDR Drive and traffic exiting Queensboro Bridge directly outside made for a very noisy and busy intersection around the hotel. Also ask for river view! Our king room was rather European in size (no closet even) but nice decor, clean, comfortable and was a good value for midtown Manhattan. There was a pricey minibar in the room, but,,alas, not a coffee maker. the bed was comfortable,though the sheets were a bit too crisp(rather than super soft and silken). The location is a bit off the beaten track (no good restaurants, bars etc. In the immediate area) but taxis are plentiful, buses convenient, and short hike to Lex. Ave. Subway. We had a great deal for our 3nightustay, and it was overall a very nice hotel.

Room Tip: request upper floor---as high as possible--- on east side of hotel.Preferably southeast corner for...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear laura714,

Thank you for your valuable review on trip advisor. I am glad you had a good time and enjoyed the room and the views our property has to offer. I look forward to welcoming you next time when your travels bring you to New York.

usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed only one night in The Bently just after New Year. The room is very clean and the location is excellent. It is very easy to walk to the subway and be at any part of NYC in minutes. This is a boutique hotel so décor, colors and overall ambient is fantastic. The front desk was very helpful. Overall, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ida32,

Thank you for your kind words on trip advisor. I am glad you have enjoyed your recent stay and we were able to make you feel comfortable. I look forward to welcoming you back soon, let me know if I can be of assistance.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Our stay at the Bentley was nice enough - the room was actually quite clean and nice and the location of the hotel was very convenient for our purposes. It was easy to drive in and park (there is a garage around the back of the hotel), but it was also an easy walk to the subway to get to all the places we needed to be.

However, the service definitely left us a bit disappointed. When we arrived, no one greeted us and once we got up to the room we had to call for linens for the pull-out bed (though the room had clearly been booked with the intent of using this). Finally, the day we checked out, we were not offered a receipt and when we requested it, we realized we had been hit with a number of erroneous mini bar charges. We hadn't touched a thing! The staff took care of it, but did not seem apologetic or concerned about it.

All in all, I'd probably give it another chance, but wasn't blown away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear mafels,

I appreciate your valuable and honest feedback about your recent stay with us and I am sorry to hear that we were not able to make you feel as comfortable as you should have been. I am however happy that you enjoyed the decor and the area of the hotel. We always strive to offer the best level of customer service and I am disappointed that we were not successful this time. Please feel free to reach out to me personally next time your travels bring you back to New York and I will make sure that all goes well with your future bookings.

Esmee K.

Been to The Bentley Hotel? Share your experiences!