“Safe haven for man and beast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Bentley Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Bentley Hotel to your Saves list
The Bentley Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 East 62nd Street, Between York Ave and FDR Drive, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #236 of 446 hotels in New York City
Chicago, Illinois
“Safe haven for man and beast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We had to stay here for a surgery for our dog at AMC next door. They happily accept pets and provide a quality, clean, nice, up to date environment for owners as well. It is a welcome relief to have been so close by, especially because we needed to return with our pet to the emergency room late at night. We will need to stay again for a follow up surgery and without question will come back here. Quality is important to pet owners too and we want to stay at nice hotels.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear moc227,

I am so happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that we were able to not only accommodate you but also your dog. I hope that all the surgery goes well and so that we will be welcoming you back next time under more pleasant circumstances. Kindly contact me for any future inquiries, we will take good care of you.

1,011 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights mid march. We booked a room with a double bed but were given 2 seperate beds. On the face of it the hotel looks nice - nice lobby area etc. However, the carpet in the room is mainly black and when you actually look at it, the carpet is filthy. The first room that we were given, everything seemed to be broken. Half the lights didn't work and the plug sockets were hanging off. When I was using my hair straighteners, as I moved the wire the lights in the bathroom were flickering which is obviously not safe! Also the plug on the bath didn't work so you could not fill the bath!

All of this I could cope with - until on the 4th night there was a bed bug on our pillow. My boyfriend lifted it and put it down the loo and I went to reception to explain. When I first mentioned bed bugs the receptionist took our complaint seriously however, when I said that the bed bug was down the toilet her attitude changed and I was informed they had not had any complaints in 10 years.

We were moved to a different room with more broken lights etc. There is no way this hotel is 4 star, or worth the money we paid for our stay. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

Dear Samantha W,

I am so sorry to hear that your stay did not go as planned. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback on your most recent stay at the Bentley Hotel. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused during your time with us. We take our guest's feedback very seriously and utilize it as a tool to assist us in making decisions that support the best interest of our valuable guests. We have a licensed exterminator inspecting us on a weekly basis as well as daily inspections by our housekeeping team. We never had a single case that actually confirmed the existence of bed bugs and we will continue to strive to do so in future. Please contact me directly at the Hotel. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with you in greater detail. I can be reached at ekollenc@amsterdamhospitality.com. I look forward to hearing from you as I know we can do a better job of providing the levels of service you deserve as our valuable guest.

Lisburn, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights. The plus points are thelocation of the hotel and the comfortable bed. Unfortunately there are a few minus points which collectively lowered the overall quality of our stay. These are:
No free wifi - $20+ per day is rediculous in my opinion
No fridge or kettle in the room - prob dueto vending machines and encourage their use
Small bed - comfy but a small double
Out dated and poorly maintained bathroom - tiles need to be regrouted, silicone used to fill large gaps, dodgy and old fixed head shower
Lights not working
Paper thin walls
Worn furniture and wall covering
Extremely slow elevators
Small rooms - was offered upgrade on arrival for $50/night. I declined and jokingly suggested a freeupgrade, the receptionist told me there wasnone available.... not sure what my $50 would have gotme inthis case

As I said, nothing too major but collectively means a lower rating. I also think the term boutique hotel on the website needs to be reconsidered.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear markspence75,

Thank you for your valuable feedback about your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that we didn't live up to your expectations while you were with us. Please be informed that fridges and kettles are available upon request so let me know next time you are in the city and I will make sure that you have all you need. We want to continue to make the Bentley Hotel one of New York City’s finest hotels, and we hope that you will see this upon your arrival with us. We look forward to welcoming you next time your travel bring you to NYC.

Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Claims to have boutique feel.... Not so!
Who charges for wi-fi!!! Not cool... $13 isn't soo bad but then I realize its per day per device!!!
Safe was broken.. Waited never came up to fix til way later...
AC never went passed 71 when set to 65

• Stayed March 2013
Dear johnb629,

Thank you for your valuable feedback about our hotel. I am disappointed to hear that we were not able to accommodate you according to your expectations. Please note that we do have an experienced team of engineers on property at all times to assist with any maintenance issues. Kindly contact me next time your travels bring you to NYC so I can personally take care of you and make sure that this won't happen again.

Esmee K
Ballinafad, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

The Bentley is a comfortable , perhaps a 3 star hotel, a good 15 minute walk from the subway, but access to several buses to go downtown, uptown and crosstown. The room was nice, clean and the bed was soooo comfortable. The area felt safe and we walked to breakfast every day to a great bagel place at first avenue and 54th street. Had two fabulous dinners on first avenue and second avenue as well. Pretty much a local scene which was fine with us away from the madding crowds. Good , and nice walk to Central Park and 5th avenue for window shopping. Probably would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear musicbizperson,

I am so glad to hear that you had a terrific stay with us. Thank you for your valuable and honest feedback about our hotel. I am happy you liked the location and the nice restaurants in our area. It is definitely a lovely neighborhood. For any future reservations please do not hesitate to contact me directly when future travels bring you to NYC again.

Panama City Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed at the Bentley for an anniversary trip with another couple.

The one bad thing to say was that upon check-in, the Front Desk Agent had trouble explaining what the charges and authorizations would be, as well as the procedure upon check-out. Once that was all squared away, the stay was wonderful.

We had a corner suite, and cricking your neck gave you a view of the East River and Queens, and the rest was the streets of the Upper East Side. We went during a snow storm, so it was gorgeous (having never seen snow...being a Florida guy all my life ;)).

Pretty convenient to other areas, about 10 blocks from Central Park or so, and some great eaterys around. The lobby bar was great. Pretty limited beer selection, but they happened to have one of my favorites bottled, so I couldn't complain. Expect to spend a minimum of $7 a beer, which is standard up there. Liquor was like $14 for an Amaretto Sour.

The staff service was great, very clean, and if I can afford it, I will definitely be back.

**Go to the 24-hour diner down the street, we went like three times, it was delicious. Two blocks away!

Room Tip: Get a corner suite, awesome views!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Michael H,

Thank you for your great review about our hotel. I am glad you have enjoyed your recent stay with us, it is always nice to hear that we made your stay a great one. I look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you to New York.

Champaign, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We were attending a meeting at the Rockefeller University, and the Bentley was located very conveniently -- just two blocks away! We got a price cut for being associated with the Rockefeller, too, which really helped.

Most of our comments about our stay at the Bentley have already been stated by others -- wonderful beds is the main plus, and the lobby personnel were helpful. However, the Bentley will charge for WiFi (in this day and age?!), and our TV was fuzzy on most of the channels (and there were no premium channels). In regard to street noise, we'd concur -- get on the highest floor you can unless you enjoy listening to ambulances and fire engines! The Bentley doesn't have coffee machines in the rooms unless you request them (it took two days before one was available for us, and then refills had to be requested on the third day -- not refreshed by maid service). Before we'd arrived I been told there was free coffee in the Lobby, but when hubby went down for some, he was charged $2.75. There is a mini-refrigerator in the room, but it's filled with high-priced beverages (for overnight use, we just moved some of these bottles out of the way, and stored our doggy bags); we didn't, but apparently one can "rent" a refrigerator from the hotel, if needed.

We didn't try the Prime (rooftop restaurant), but were amused when we wanted to go up there Friday night, and were told it was closed that night since it's apparently run by some strict followers of Judaism who can't use electrical appliances on the Sabbath -- and so have no way to charge customers!! Anyway, there are plenty of fine restaurants just a block away on 1st Avenue -- we enjoyed Nuua (tremendous, up-scale Thai) and Tiella (fabulous real Italian meal -- not your standard American-Italian fare!). Of course, being from the midwest, we enjoyed eating "real" bagels every morning, too!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor
Dear Florador,

Thank you for your recent review about the Bentley Hotel. We appreciate your honest and valuable feedback. I am glad to hear that we were able to accommodate you with a special rate and you enjoyed the location.
Some of our amenities are at a charge and based on availability. We might have been at high capacity over the days you stayed so there might have been a possibilty that we weren't able to honor your request immediately. Please contact me for any future bookings so I can make sure that you have all amenities that you require throughout your stay and I also can be of assistance in making reservations at the Prime Restaurant ahead of time to avoid facing these issues. I look forward to welcoming you on your future travels to NYC.

Esmee K.

Been to The Bentley Hotel? Share your experiences!