“Wonderful bed -- minimal free amenities” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Bentley Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Bentley Hotel to your Saves list
The Bentley Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 East 62nd Street, Between York Ave and FDR Drive, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #223 of 451 hotels in New York City
Champaign, Illinois
“Wonderful bed -- minimal free amenities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We were attending a meeting at the Rockefeller University, and the Bentley was located very conveniently -- just two blocks away! We got a price cut for being associated with the Rockefeller, too, which really helped.

Most of our comments about our stay at the Bentley have already been stated by others -- wonderful beds is the main plus, and the lobby personnel were helpful. However, the Bentley will charge for WiFi (in this day and age?!), and our TV was fuzzy on most of the channels (and there were no premium channels). In regard to street noise, we'd concur -- get on the highest floor you can unless you enjoy listening to ambulances and fire engines! The Bentley doesn't have coffee machines in the rooms unless you request them (it took two days before one was available for us, and then refills had to be requested on the third day -- not refreshed by maid service). Before we'd arrived I been told there was free coffee in the Lobby, but when hubby went down for some, he was charged $2.75. There is a mini-refrigerator in the room, but it's filled with high-priced beverages (for overnight use, we just moved some of these bottles out of the way, and stored our doggy bags); we didn't, but apparently one can "rent" a refrigerator from the hotel, if needed.

We didn't try the Prime (rooftop restaurant), but were amused when we wanted to go up there Friday night, and were told it was closed that night since it's apparently run by some strict followers of Judaism who can't use electrical appliances on the Sabbath -- and so have no way to charge customers!! Anyway, there are plenty of fine restaurants just a block away on 1st Avenue -- we enjoyed Nuua (tremendous, up-scale Thai) and Tiella (fabulous real Italian meal -- not your standard American-Italian fare!). Of course, being from the midwest, we enjoyed eating "real" bagels every morning, too!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Florador,

Thank you for your recent review about the Bentley Hotel. We appreciate your honest and valuable feedback. I am glad to hear that we were able to accommodate you with a special rate and you enjoyed the location.
Some of our amenities are at a charge and based on availability. We might have been at high capacity over the days you stayed so there might have been a possibilty that we weren't able to honor your request immediately. Please contact me for any future bookings so I can make sure that you have all amenities that you require throughout your stay and I also can be of assistance in making reservations at the Prime Restaurant ahead of time to avoid facing these issues. I look forward to welcoming you on your future travels to NYC.

1,131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Glen Rock, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We just stayed one night and it was nice. Room and bathroom were very clean and comfortable and with large windows you didn't get the claustro feeling of some NYC hotel rooms. Decent view of Roosevelt Island Tram and East River. Car parking under the hotel about $32 a day. Cute little indoor/outdoor lobby bar...but hotel is facing very busy entrance to FDR drive. We thought it was a bit pricey,

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Nancerap,

Thank you for your valuable and honest feedback. I am glad you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back on one of your future trips to NYC. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any assistance.

Columbus, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Unprepossessing exterior, but great location. Stayed for five days and were unexpectedly upgraded to a lovely, very large room with spectacular views of the East River and Queensborough Bridge.
Staff was professional and helpful. Only quibble is that like many hotels they have not solved their internet problem. $12 a day and there was so little bandwidth that it was barely usable.

Room Tip: As for a room ending in "4", like 1604, etc.
Dear Ayacuchano,

I am happy to hear that your recent stay was an enjoyable one. Thank you for taking the time and leaving us some great feedback. I am glad our Team was able to assist you with all requests and upgraded you to a great room to make your stay even more pleasant. We look forward to welcoming you back for your future trips to NYC.

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Our 1 week stay was good as the staff were responsive to questions. The location was great and we got a real feel for the neighborhood. It sucked that there was no kettle or coffee machine as it rained for 2 days during our stay.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear papyrusTraveller,

Thank you for your valuable feedback about your previous stay with us. I am so happy to hear that our team was able to assist you with all your questions and make your stay more enjoyable. In regards to the amenities please be informed that we have items available upon request for you to use throughout your stay, some of them with a small rental fee. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future reservation so I can personally make sure that you have everything you need. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was there for a week on February 2013, and it was a very pleasant experience. My room had a microwave and a fridge for me to use, and that was extremely convenient since I was on a budget. The hotel staff, super helpful. I have no complaints and I can recommend it without a doubt.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Travelover2013,

I am happy to hear that were able to accommodate you with all amenities that you needed through out your stay. Thank you for your pleasant feedback. We have an amazing team of employees here at the Bentley and I am so glad that we were able to serve you to your satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Bentley the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We really enjoyed staying at The Bentley. The room was lovely, very comfy and with a lovely view of the city. As I am a photographer, I really enjoy bright rooms when I travel. The rooftop bar is amazing, I really enjoyed the view and atmosphere at this place. I would definitely choose this hotel for my next stay in NYC.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Chinichan,

Thank you for your lovely review about your recent stay with us. I am so glad you were happy with the room and the amazing views our hotel has to offer. I am sure you were able to take great panorama pictures. I look forward to welcoming you back if your travels bring you to NYC in future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for assistance.

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I were in NYC for an event at the Society of Illustrators, so we chose the Bentley Hotel rather at random based in part on its relative proximity to our event venue. We were thrilled with our choice. I'm all about the view, and the view from our room was spectacular. Our corner room was filled with light, and overlooked the Queensboro Bridge, Roosevelt Island and the funiculars, the East River and an interesting perspective on the skyline. The staff mentioned that the hotel interior had recently been renovated and the resulting ambiance was both funky and chic. Our room was spacious and clean, the staff friendly and accommodating, and the neighborhood lively and engaging (we recommend Felice Wine Bar and restaurant for dinner and the Ritz Diner for breakfast). We had a wonderful experience at the Bentley and would go stay there again in a New York minute.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Peaco T,

I am so pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am happy to hear that we were able to provide you some great recommendations while you were here. Please feel free to reach out to me personally should your travels bring you to NYC in future.

Esmee K.

Been to The Bentley Hotel? Share your experiences!