“What a view!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Bentley Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Bentley Hotel to your Saves list
The Bentley Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 East 62nd Street, Between York Ave and FDR Drive, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #236 of 446 hotels in New York City
Sliema, Malta
“What a view!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The location is not bang in the center and we could have been spared the taxi rides but after a hectic day in NYC you want peace and quiet, then it makes this hotel a good choice. The staff were mostly mechanical and matter of fact but its city folk, they are made that way! No wifi during our entire stay due to hurricane two weeks back which set us back on doing any planning or reservations.

Room Tip: I requested a quiet room and was given a 16th floor. Considering that despite this we still heard tr...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager_1231, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear davinapreca,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Bentley Hotel. Although Hurricane Sandy did affect our abiliyt to provide wi fi service for some time, I am happy to report that it is not back up and running. I apologize if this caused any inconvenience during your time as our guest. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

1,017 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

If you are looking for a hotel centrally located to all main sights in NYC you might want to end in the typical tourist areas around Times Square or Empire State but The Bentley.
If you hate overcrowded areas and prefer to stay in a more residential and off the beaten path area like me you should take a closer look at The Bentley.

The hotel is located along Hudson River at the Upper East Side next to Queensboro Bridge, East River Drive, and the Roosevelt Island Tram. Its interior is very modern; the rooms are clean but compared to other cities small. Anyways, this is the usual case in Manhattan. If you are a light sleeper you should bring earplugs, a further disadvantage of the loud metropolis, no matter which hotel you are staying in!

Bellboys, receptionists, housekeeping, and the barista at the coffee shop in the lobby are very attentive, polite and obliging.

Unfortunately, I haven’t had time to visit the top floor restaurant but the view over Roosevelt Island towards Queens, Brooklyn and Manhattan isn’t bad. To enjoy the location even more ask for a high floor room during check-in.

Within walking distance you have an upscale supermarket at 1st Ave & 59th St plus several restaurants along 2nd Ave.
A affordable recommendation is Jackson Hole Burgers @ 232 E 64th St # A, if you do not want to spend a fortune traveling with family or friends.

Staying in The Bentley requires some walking, which I don’t mind since this is in my opinion the only way to really explore NYC. If four blocks to the subway is already too much for you take a cab.

The only thing I would like to point out to the management is to offer free Wifi in the lobby to guests. This is by today a standard in NYC hotels.

+ Off the beaten path, off the packed tourist areas but still close enough to the sights,
+ attentive staff,
+/- clean but very small rooms
- no free Wifi

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor for a better view over the skyline.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear travelinmatecom,

Thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay with us here at the Bentley Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Columbia, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed at the Bentley (3 of us in 2 different rooms) November 7-10. The one of us traveling solo got a nice free upgrade to a suite when there were no rooms with a single king bed, which had been requested. Very nice!! Both rooms were nicely appointed and clean. Beds and pillows super comfortable. Found the front desk staff to be helpful and courteous, as we had a number of occasions to call upon them (more on that below). It is located in a nice nabe with good restaurants in walking distance. Our view from the room was at the Queensborough Bridge and river -- very nice!! Room rates were quite reasonable, all told.

On the more negative side, and the most important, is that our air conditioning kicked off daily. We would wake up in the middle of the night to 76-77 degree temps in the room! Every morning I would tromp down to the front desk to report it, receive an apology, and be told that it would be fixed. While out for the day, we were happy to return in the late afternoon to find the AC back on. But then in the night, it would kick off again. Next day, repeat the previous day, and then the same result. The problem was that the sun would pour through the window (yea for nice sunny days) but with no AC, it would heat up so badly. One day (Friday) it was 87 in the room when we got back. All this to find out when I was checking out Saturday morning, when the Front Desk Manager asked me how the stay was (and I told her about the continuing AC problem), that we could have fixed the problem ourselves had we only removed the room key card from the little sleeve by the bathroom that controls the power in the room. According to her, that would have re-set the thermostat, and allowed the AC to kick back in. Who knew?? No one had told us that previously. Now, I cannot vouch for whether or not that approach actually would have worked, since I learned this upon checking out. So, if YOU experience the same problem, you might try it!

Other things -- there are no ice machines in the hotel. You have to call to have ice sent up (so you are actually paying for ice via gratuity for the room service). The restaurant is indeed not connected to the hotel. Great view, but mediocre food, at best. It is a Kosher restaurant with a limited menu, and none of us found any of the food to be remarkable in any way. I would not go there again.

All in all, the Bentley was a good place location-wise for us and room-quality wise (apart from the AC issue).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear DeanJ,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Bentley. Please be assured I will be sharing your posting with our Executive Team so we ensure we provide updated information to all our guests on how to use our Evolve system. I sincerely apologize that this was an inconvenience for you during yoru stay. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Bentley if I may be of any assistance in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

General Mananger
Gainesville, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Room was well-appointed, neat and clean. Hotel was very well located- for shopping, site-seeing, and access to conference I was attending. Staff was very courteous and professional. As a 'tourist', I was disappointed that the hotel chose to relegate concierge duties to a booklet in the room. While front desk would succinctly answer specific questions, they were very obviously not interested in helping someone discover what there is to do and see in the city and it took me a couple of days to figure it out as I did not have time to research prior to arriving. There is a restaurant on the top floor which seems to have NO relationship to the hotel. There is a bar in the lobby where small bagged snacks can be purchased. The elevators are slow and could not access hot water during peak times. Fitness area is smaller than a standard hotel room with several pieces of equipment. Internet service is provided by separate vendor at charge.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManager_1231, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear gatorMom,

Thank you for providing us wiht your valuable feedback on your most recent stay at the Bentley. As the General Manager of the hotel, please be assured I will be sharing your post with our Executive team to address accordingly. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

The price was right but that was about it. The tv and a light was broken in my room ad I called down to get it fixed and nobody ever came up. Also, the sheets were very rough. You would think if a hotel was buying in bulk they would get nice soft sheets, but not here.

• Stayed November 2012
GeneralManager_1231, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
DearStephanyj328,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on your most recent stay at the Bentley Hotel. As the General Manager of the property I am disappointed to read that we did meet your expectations. I would like to sincerely apologize as your experience is certainly not representative of the levels of service we strive to provide our valuable guests. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay in greater detail. Please contact me at the Bentley. I look forward to hearing from you

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

I recently surprised my wife with a trip to New York City for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. This was our first trip here and we had heard that the rooms in NYC were very small. After much research into the best value, I chose The Bentley based on reviews on both Trip Advisor and Hotwire. We were not disappointed. Our stay did get off to a somewhat rocky start when the AC went out in the room, but the hotel staff and manager were very accommodating and helpful. Although the Bentley is somewhat off the beaten path, it is within easy walking distance to the subway station. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and hope to return again sometime soon.

Stayed June 2012
Dear Keith H,

Happy belated Anniversary! We are so glad you celebrated your special occasion with us here at the Bentley Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back for your 26th as well!

Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Just back from a 3 night stay at the Bentley. By far the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in New York. We were on the 14 floor in a fabulous big room with 2 (extremely comfortable) double beds. The staff in the hotel were what really made the most difference, they literally couldn't do enough for you. The only problem we had during our stay were the two key cards we were given could be quite tempramental, but the receptionist happily provided another.
Having stayed in west midtown on previous trips I found the location of this hotel to be less convenient, but still within walking distance of most main attractions and only about 9 dollars in a cab from Times Square.
I would stay here again without any hesitation, and would like to thank the staff for a hassle free and memorable experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear MissOrgana,

As the General Manager of the Bentley Hotel I would like to thank you for posting your amazing feedback on TripAdvisor! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Jennifer Baldwin

Been to The Bentley Hotel? Share your experiences!