“Bentley Was Pretty Good, Overall...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Bentley Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Bentley Hotel to your Saves list
The Bentley Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 East 62nd Street, Between York Ave and FDR Drive, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #214 of 456 Hotels in New York City
Columbia, Missouri
“Bentley Was Pretty Good, Overall...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed at the Bentley (3 of us in 2 different rooms) November 7-10. The one of us traveling solo got a nice free upgrade to a suite when there were no rooms with a single king bed, which had been requested. Very nice!! Both rooms were nicely appointed and clean. Beds and pillows super comfortable. Found the front desk staff to be helpful and courteous, as we had a number of occasions to call upon them (more on that below). It is located in a nice nabe with good restaurants in walking distance. Our view from the room was at the Queensborough Bridge and river -- very nice!! Room rates were quite reasonable, all told.

On the more negative side, and the most important, is that our air conditioning kicked off daily. We would wake up in the middle of the night to 76-77 degree temps in the room! Every morning I would tromp down to the front desk to report it, receive an apology, and be told that it would be fixed. While out for the day, we were happy to return in the late afternoon to find the AC back on. But then in the night, it would kick off again. Next day, repeat the previous day, and then the same result. The problem was that the sun would pour through the window (yea for nice sunny days) but with no AC, it would heat up so badly. One day (Friday) it was 87 in the room when we got back. All this to find out when I was checking out Saturday morning, when the Front Desk Manager asked me how the stay was (and I told her about the continuing AC problem), that we could have fixed the problem ourselves had we only removed the room key card from the little sleeve by the bathroom that controls the power in the room. According to her, that would have re-set the thermostat, and allowed the AC to kick back in. Who knew?? No one had told us that previously. Now, I cannot vouch for whether or not that approach actually would have worked, since I learned this upon checking out. So, if YOU experience the same problem, you might try it!

Other things -- there are no ice machines in the hotel. You have to call to have ice sent up (so you are actually paying for ice via gratuity for the room service). The restaurant is indeed not connected to the hotel. Great view, but mediocre food, at best. It is a Kosher restaurant with a limited menu, and none of us found any of the food to be remarkable in any way. I would not go there again.

All in all, the Bentley was a good place location-wise for us and room-quality wise (apart from the AC issue).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
GeneralManager_1231, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear DeanJ,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Bentley. Please be assured I will be sharing your posting with our Executive Team so we ensure we provide updated information to all our guests on how to use our Evolve system. I sincerely apologize that this was an inconvenience for you during yoru stay. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Bentley if I may be of any assistance in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

General Mananger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gainesville, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Room was well-appointed, neat and clean. Hotel was very well located- for shopping, site-seeing, and access to conference I was attending. Staff was very courteous and professional. As a 'tourist', I was disappointed that the hotel chose to relegate concierge duties to a booklet in the room. While front desk would succinctly answer specific questions, they were very obviously not interested in helping someone discover what there is to do and see in the city and it took me a couple of days to figure it out as I did not have time to research prior to arriving. There is a restaurant on the top floor which seems to have NO relationship to the hotel. There is a bar in the lobby where small bagged snacks can be purchased. The elevators are slow and could not access hot water during peak times. Fitness area is smaller than a standard hotel room with several pieces of equipment. Internet service is provided by separate vendor at charge.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManager_1231, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear gatorMom,

Thank you for providing us wiht your valuable feedback on your most recent stay at the Bentley. As the General Manager of the hotel, please be assured I will be sharing your post with our Executive team to address accordingly. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

The price was right but that was about it. The tv and a light was broken in my room ad I called down to get it fixed and nobody ever came up. Also, the sheets were very rough. You would think if a hotel was buying in bulk they would get nice soft sheets, but not here.

• Stayed November 2012
GeneralManager_1231, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
DearStephanyj328,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on your most recent stay at the Bentley Hotel. As the General Manager of the property I am disappointed to read that we did meet your expectations. I would like to sincerely apologize as your experience is certainly not representative of the levels of service we strive to provide our valuable guests. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay in greater detail. Please contact me at the Bentley. I look forward to hearing from you

Lake City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

I recently surprised my wife with a trip to New York City for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. This was our first trip here and we had heard that the rooms in NYC were very small. After much research into the best value, I chose The Bentley based on reviews on both Trip Advisor and Hotwire. We were not disappointed. Our stay did get off to a somewhat rocky start when the AC went out in the room, but the hotel staff and manager were very accommodating and helpful. Although the Bentley is somewhat off the beaten path, it is within easy walking distance to the subway station. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and hope to return again sometime soon.

Stayed June 2012
Dear Keith H,

Happy belated Anniversary! We are so glad you celebrated your special occasion with us here at the Bentley Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back for your 26th as well!

Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Just back from a 3 night stay at the Bentley. By far the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in New York. We were on the 14 floor in a fabulous big room with 2 (extremely comfortable) double beds. The staff in the hotel were what really made the most difference, they literally couldn't do enough for you. The only problem we had during our stay were the two key cards we were given could be quite tempramental, but the receptionist happily provided another.
Having stayed in west midtown on previous trips I found the location of this hotel to be less convenient, but still within walking distance of most main attractions and only about 9 dollars in a cab from Times Square.
I would stay here again without any hesitation, and would like to thank the staff for a hassle free and memorable experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear MissOrgana,

As the General Manager of the Bentley Hotel I would like to thank you for posting your amazing feedback on TripAdvisor! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Hunt, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I loved this small tourist hotel At 500 East 62nd corner or York. The location is fun and convenient. Our room was on the 19th floor corner and the view was incredible, looking down the river toward the UN and the 59th St Bridge, Roosevelt Island, and the trolley to the island. Walk is easy to the east side, Madison Avenue and all the sites. It is economical for NYC also. The negitive when I was there is the restaurant was closed, but not a terrible loss as just walk up 62nd one block and find a neat, typical diner on the corner of 1st and 62nd. The food was good, and inexpensive. I would suggest this hotels for family vacations.

Room Tip: High floor corner room overlooking river and bridge.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear P H,

Thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor. As the General Manager of the Bentley, I am pleased to let you know that our new restauratn "Prime at the Bentley" is now open and has more of the amazing views that our rooms offer! We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Albany, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We got this room off of priceline for a very reasonable rate and could not be happier. The hotel offers stunning views of the 59th Street Bridge. The East River and the Roosevelt Island cablecars. Definitely ask for a room facing that. The room itself was nice and spacious as nyc rooms go in this price range. One issue I did have was the bathroom was a bit dated and the bathtub did not drain too well, but id definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to The Bentley Hotel? Share your experiences!