“BEST STAY NYC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of NYLO New York City

You added NYLO New York City to your Saves list
NYLO New York City
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2178 Broadway, 222 West 77th Street, New York City, NY 10024 (Formerly On The Ave Hotel) (Upper West Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
TripAdvisor Fans Save 10%
Ranked #80 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“BEST STAY NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We had the best stay ever at NYLO NYC! The beds were superb and the room clean! The staff were most excellent and set a very welcoming atmosphere. The LOCL Bar was very comfortable. MUSIC Thursdays and Mondays was a real treat, right there in our "living room"; especially nice since we were visiting in February when many of the jazz clubs were closed and the weather outside was frightful! WE WILL DEFINITELY STAY HERE AGAIN!!!

Room Tip: We chose the Queen-Queen and it was a corner room on the 10th floor, excellent view of the river and...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Okay, so the stay wasn't without issues, but I'd stay there again in a heartbeat. Why? The service. Every single staff member, from the doorman to the front desk clerk went out of their way to deliver the best experience possible. And as someone that travels often, I can guarantee that's a rare thing. The rooms are lovely, the ambience fantastic, and the location unbeatable. If that isn't enough, I'd stay there again just for Charles, the bartender - he's a one in a million find, and I can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
GM-NYLO-NYC01, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Bahamaniac11,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product, services and recognition of our staff! Your comments will be shared with our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

I am pleased to note that you will consider returning to NYLO NYC! The team at the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

New Haven, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

NYLO NY has a great location, on 77th street, just off Bway. However, from first phone calls with customer service, poor and at times rude customer interactions are part of the management culture at NYLO NY. Every individual with whom I interacted, except for Chantal at customer service, were at a minimum discourteous and, at times just rude.We stayed one night in the Penthouse Sklyine Suite (#1602). The reservations manager insisted on charging $60 above the 2-day internet rate for one day. The room was advertised as " bedroom with a separate living room", though there was no door or partition between the rooms. For a first in tackiness, there was a wallpaper veneer of brick in the room. The kingsize bed had a sumptuous pillow-top over a flabby mattress. The heat did not serve the bathroom, so bathroom door had to be left open for maintenance of temperature. The breakfast package was laughable as Serrafina is a down-scale chain and the breakfast was a banana, croissant, coffee and juice for one person as the Hotel refused to allow for the second person (my wife and I), even though we were paying $400+/night. We ordered and paid for our own breakfast; the "brioche" french toast was without brioche and was overcooked and dry as it had likely been reheated; coffee was good. Hotel checkout, however, was perhaps the most aggravating experience of all. Sunday morning and there was only a single individual working at the counter to check out, so that this took 15 minutes of waiting in a line. Then, despite ordering retrieval of our "valet-parked" car 1 1/2 hrs in advance, when we had been warned by the hotel to call 30min in advance for retrieval, the car was over an hour late in being retrieved. The office management was threatening and rude, and seemingly overwhelmed; I would suspect that this is a common occurrence for the team to be overwhelmed, though the real fault undoubtedly lays with poor planning by the franchise owners. So, in sum, a great location, generally discourteous and sometimes rude staff. I would strongly advise against relying on hotel to valet-park a car for you which generally means that you should not drive to this hotel. For $100 less per night, one can easily stay in a real suite in the west 50's instead of 70's.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
GM-NYLO-NYC01, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear L B,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to respond to our survey regarding your recent stay at the NYLO. While we failed to meet your expectations rest assured; your feedback will be reviewed with the NYLO team so they may be properly addressed. Hopefully, this will enable us to achieve our goal of exceeding our guests' expectations.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We arrived at the hotel at 6pm on a friday night and were given a room with an interconnecting, which I didn't like and they changed it immediately to another room on the 5th floor which was lovely and a good size. I had emailed ahead to say we were getting married on the following wednesday and we were upgrading on the Tuesday and Wednesday nights to a fantastic suite with private balcony free of charge. The hotel bar and staff was very good and the reception and facilities of business area was great as I had jet lag and worked in the mornings with the free wifi and use of the printer. We ate brunch in the joining restaurant which was lovely and reasonably priced.

The bed in both rooms we were in was massive and the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in. Was very quiet outside and helped sleep. Rooms were cleaned daily and all staff were very helpful.

Location is great as really close to other smaller cafes for breakfast, Shake Shack is round the corner, the Amsterdam Bar is open till 4am and serves great food and there is a nice range of shopping round about although the Subway at 79th is less than a 5 minute walk.

The hotel made our trip even better than we had hoped, with staff and facilities being excellent.

Thank you so much!

Room Tip: email ahead. The hotel allows pets, and is accessible friendly.
Dear 4claire,

Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I really enjoyed the uniqueness of this hotel. I had floor to ceiling windows with a patio overlooking the Hudson River. Slept on one of the best beds I have ever slept in. The lobby bar and relax rooms are very kick back and inviting. I was really happy here. The room was spotless and well appointed and the neighborhood upper west side is my favorite! I look forward to going back. I had the suite. It was worth it for the space and light. I would say if you are looking for traditional, this is not it. If want something with some hip and charm, this is it. Great restaurants and bars right there. Excellent bus and subway access. Really...what else could you want?

Room Tip: Get the suites. Worth the extra money
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Dear naylorchick,

Boston, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Great location, excellent accommodations, and a very friendly staff, we had an excellent stay @ NYLO. We spend a couple weekends a year in NYC and have never had a better stay. Everyone from the woman who checked us in, who gave us an unsolicited upgrade, to the housekeeping staff we ran into was absolutely great. I don't think I've ever seen a more happening lobby either. I know that sounds weird but it's true. The bar was buzzing, people playing chess or just sitting down to read. We'll definitely be back.

Dear Leroy J,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product and services. Your comments will be shared with our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Very good location - not far from Central Park
Very nice rooms, with the most comfortable bed ever...
Really helpful staff...
a nice stay in NY,
the rooms weren't very noisy for NY, but still could ear some of the noise outside.
the only negative thing, but not from this hotel, from all hotels that I check, paying extra for internet doesn't make sense, on the present day, asking extra for internet is the same that asking extra to see TV or have a shower.

Dear VitorHR,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product, services and recognition of our staff. Your comments will be shared with our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

Mark Miller

Been to NYLO New York City? Share your experiences!