“Great stay!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of NYLO New York City

You added NYLO New York City to your Saves list
NYLO New York City
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2178 Broadway, 222 West 77th Street, New York City, NY 10024 (Formerly On The Ave Hotel) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
TripAdvisor Fans Save 10%
Ranked #78 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Florida
“Great stay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I just wanted to say that I have stayed in so many hotels in NYC- this hotel is a gem! I needed to be in the Upper West Side for this visit, and it was perfect. The room was so modern and clean, and it was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on! I am a travel agent, and the winter rate for 165.00 was crazy! This hotel could have easily charged 250.00 for the room/location etc. The lobby is so warm and inviting, and even though there is no room service- it just does not matter. The Keurig coffemaker in the room is perfect- then get out and enjoy!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We booked a Deluxe Queen Queen room from 23rd - 27th December, and then went for a trip, and then had another room back at NYLO on 30th and 31st, 2014.

There was a sponsored deal on Expedia and the rate worked out at about £150 per night.

The photos on the website were not as good as reality. I was a bit nervous about booking (partly because of the very good special offer - and partly because of the not amazing photos), but reality was great. The reception and lounge area was very trendy, industrial vibe and smart. The bar area was all subdued lighting so made a good atmosphere for the evening. But there was also a lounge area to the side with sofas, lots of computer terminals and a chess table. This was well lit, bright and comfortable.

The staff were all friendly and really helpful, but not pushy (we stayed for a few days at another hotel and I swear they were on commission trying to sell us tickets to all the tourist attractions).

The location is great, Upper West Side, and there were plenty of nice places to eat in the immediate area. You have to walk across to the Shake Shack which is on Columbus and 77th. Queues go out the door almost all the time, but they move quickly. Take an insulated bag for takeaways in the winter! Some nice places on Amsterdam Ave too. And Serafina the hotel Italian restaurant was amazing. On New Years Eve we had the Filet Mignon and our 8yr old had a pizza. Both made and cooked to perfection. Excellent service again.

Located on Broadway, the nearest metro stations are on 72nd or 79th street. And this is the red one train. Can take you all the way down to South Ferry which is the terminal you need for the ferry to Staten Island - so, handy! We didn't eat breakfast in the hotel at all. Instead, we walked down Broadway towards 72nd St station and stopped at the first diner we found just after The Beacon. Amazing breakfasts! Seriously. Amazing! Highly recommend the scrambled eggs, bacon, pancakes and steak and eggs! We tested it all out!

Opposite the diner was a beautiful and unique deli/grocery shop called Citradella. Delicious Russian Tea cookies and gluten free chewy chocolate cookie near the tills. Oh they also sold fruit!

The two beds were soft on top, supportive underneath and BIG. White, cotton, fluffy. Everything you want in a perfect bed when you are away from home. The rooms were always clean. You get some free water when you check in, not replenished though. And tea and coffee machine and pouches which are replenished. No mini bar. Decent powerful hairdryer. Always a bonus. There is a 24hr pharmacy over the road so all your general needs are but a stones throw away.

The only negative about the rooms was that the bathrooms were a little dated. You could be picky and inspect them closely, and then you might be disappointed. But I have seen worse in much better hotels. They just need updating in terms of the actual sanitary ware, taps, etc. The deco itself was okay.

There is a kids park just one block over (towards Amsterdam) and a small fire station on the road which was great for our son! And a very small stroll to the History Museum so we also got to see dinosaurs!

Even after we had checked out the service was good. We found I had a left a coat in the room, and after a couple of emails it was located and safely stored for me. They offered to ship it, but we had family visiting within a few days so they held it for us.

Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Great falls
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Room is nice, a little small--but that's par for NYC. Small foot rugs at side of bed need serious cleaning. Otherwise clean and nice room and bathroom. Loud sound from air vent. Quiet when turned off. Great upper west side location. Breakfast served in connecting restaurant. Food served in lobby only after 11 am.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Jerusalem, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

All and all it is a nice hotel, the service was good and the rooms (I saw 4 different types of rooms) are pleasant and clean. The location is good though I would seriously stay away from the 77st side - there is very noisy construction site - if you intend to sleep late - forget about it.
One flaw is the maintenance level - one room had a busted door, the other a broken shower door - not expected from a trendy hotel that was not too long ago renovated.

I came for a three nights stay. Asked for a higher floor and a king sized bed. When I got to the hotel I was offered a room on the second floor. When I requested a higher floor the lady at the front desk was very helpful and gave me a room on the eighth floor, to my disappointment it did not have a king size bed but I was late for an occasion and did not have time to ask (again) to switch my room. I received a double room with queen sized bed and my legs were sticking out from the mattress (I am 6' 5'' tall). The next morning, when I asked to be moved to a room with a king sized bed I got great service and was immediately moved to very nice room with a king sized bed. Because I booked 2 nights and had to extend my stay to one more night I had to be moved again (the room I stayed in was already booked) - I was moved to a room with a kinged sized bed but with a crooked and half broken front door, again I had to request a different room. The shift manager apologized for the inconvenience and for compensation gave me an upgrade to a deluxe room. A very nice room with a king sized bed. Unfortunately the shower door was half broken, did not shut down and the whole bathroom floor was wet after every shower.

Room Tip: Stay away from the 77st side - construction site. Also a higher floor is more quiet
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Had a fabulous time with my people over Christmas at NYLO NYC! The rooms are super comfy, and oh so stylish! The staff is sublime. The location is more than perfect - shops, restaurants, Westside Market and parks just two blocks either side (great squirrel chasing in Riverside Park!). And the special bag of goodies just for me.....what can I say, I'm fabulous and I deserve it! Run, do not walk to get your people to book at NYLO NYC!

Room Tip: All great.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. The positives: a sweet, funky, local bar with friendly staff, decent drinks and okay appetizers. Restaurant attached to the hotel makes a handy place for a delicious breakfast. The bed and pillows were compfy, though the fitted sheet did not quite fit the mattress, actually it was short by 10". The nightly price is very reasonable. The not so positives: the bathroom tub was old and chipped, the hanging sink left no place for my stuff and the narrow shelf opposite wasn't adequate for storing anything. I mean, what's a girl to do? A magnified mirror is not provided (I hate that) and no robe or towel hooks anywhere - just a towel rod, filled with four bath towels, hand towels. The hallway was filled with cleaning carts, vacuum cleaners, and leftover magazines on the hallway window sill that never moved during my three night stay. It looks messy. The cleaning people missed a couple things in my room but to be fair, after I called the front desk, it was taken care of within 10 minutes. Thin walls make for a noisy morning as well - bring your ear plugs!

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Kittery Point, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The NYLO is a good value in a good location, with friendly service and nice rooms. Though our room had a view of brick walls facing it, it was very quiet. The bed was comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful. An easy walk to good restaurants, nice shops and plenty of people watching, for a lower priced NYC hotel, you won't go wrong. There's a Serafina restaurant in it that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as a bar and good lobby area. We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: 11th floor was very quiet and room 1121 is tucked away in a corner, so there was no noise.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to NYLO New York City? Share your experiences!