“It was a very good one day stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of NYLO New York City

You added NYLO New York City to your Saves list
NYLO New York City
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2178 Broadway, 222 West 77th Street, New York City, NY 10024 (Formerly On The Ave Hotel) (Upper West Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
TripAdvisor Fans Save 10%
Ranked #102 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Humacao, Puerto Rico, Caribbean
“It was a very good one day stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

I spent just one night but I love it wish I could have spent a month in there. It was a little short but just a little. Very clean very close to everything... really great I cant get enough. I'm coming back to NY and the first place I will be looking to stay would be NYLO.

• Stayed September 2013
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Joesean22,

Reading your feedback I can’t help, but smile. It makes me so happy to know that you had such an amazing experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back here again soon.

Eugenia Simons

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I have stayed here a few times because the hotel is a decent price (for New York) and because the location is great. Last year they were renovating the lobby, and this year it is finished. It's now a fun, active lounge and bar in the evenings. A lot of people from the hotel and from outside come for drinks in this nice, open space. You can order food from the adjacent restaurants as well.

Room Tip: Choose interior if you want more quiet and darker. Choose exterior if you want light and a view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear d0ndequiera,

I am so pleased that you love our newly renovated lobby! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We look forward to seeing you here again soon.

See you soon!

Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My bad back and shoulders had a great night sleep in this Upper West Side hotel. I like industrial design (think cement, steel etc) so the decor suited me. Room was on the small side but did have a desk and chair. Bathroom was actually good-sized w cool steel sink. Agree w others that they should put up some towel hooks... No where to put towels. Elevator wait was not unreasonable but I was not there w a big function. It was a Monday night. Bar area looked fun... Lots of folks watching the World Cup... But I had work to do. Went down later and had a lovely dinner at Sarafina, which is connected to the hotel. Had meetings East side and hopped in a cab and went through the park and was there for $10. Everyone I met was friendly. Free wifi. Great price ($215)... A real value. Would stay there again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Diane R,

Reading your review makes me so happy! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our new design, ideal location, and of course, our comfortable beds. We look forward to welcoming you back here again soon.

Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

It was a great location, just a short walk from The Beacon Theatre-the reason for my trip to NYC. And in a town where getting around or parking can be a beast, the importance of location can't be taken for granted. The 79th and Broadway subway line was really close. Plenty of places to eat and enough stores within walking distance.

The hotel unfortunately fell short of my expectations. Perhaps it was from reading all of the positive reviews, I expected more. Especially in light of the price of rooms (Manhatten or not). The areas I rated poorly are in relation to price and expectations of a boutique hotel. If it was a Holiday Inn or the like, the ratings would have been bumped up a notch as the room rates would be lower.

Our room on the 6th floor was pretty small. It was large enough for one person with one suitcase for an overnight or two. The second suitcase was a problem. There just was nowhere to put anything. The furniture reminded me of what might be used for a elementary/middle schooler's bedroom. The 2 "locker" doors on the end tables and shelving unit was pretty cheesy. There's not even a board on the back of the units to at least have it enclosed like a dresser. I put all my clothes in the closet and since there are no dresser drawers, I put my clothes on the shelves in there. Again, it was facilities for a kid, not to accommodate any clothes that are nicer.

The bathroom was adequate, no real drinking glasses that they show on their website pics. The shower curtain had mold stains along the bottom and the stainless steel sink although similar to the one in my kitchen, really didn't need to be that large. More "counter" space to put stuff on would have been more useful. There were 2 washcloths and 2 bath towels and no hand towels.

There's LED lighting to accent under the foot of the bed (see the pictures on the website), but ours was broken and dangling.

The noise from the room next door as well as the doors opening and closing in the hallway is probably the loudest I've experienced in years. When our neighbors returned, we could hear every word of their conversation, even with the t.v. on. The noise from the street was no problem.

When we returned from dinner last night, there were 3 doormen standing outside talking but no one to actually open the door for the family coming out or for us going in. We had brought back food so our hands were full so we waited for the family to come out. Just thought it was odd to have so many greeters but no one to actually greet.

I did like the floors. It's unusual to not have carpeted floors in a hotel room but to tell you the truth, those are always so gross. I imagine cleaning these floors are much easier, they are going to be extremely durable and there's much less dust and allergens. It also does give the room a more apartment feel as opposed to a hotel.
The bed was comfortable.
The Wolfgang Puck coffee was nice. The housekeeper was quick to provide me with new towels, coffee and shampoo even though she was cleaning another room. She asked if I wanted the room to be cleaned but frankly, the room wasn't large enough to clean!

If you stay here, I would follow others advice for asking for specific rooms upon check-in. We asked to change rooms after a day as I have a feeling this room is one of the smallest but the additional cost wasn't going to be worth it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Jackson6,

I'm truly sorry that your experience with us at NYLO NYC was anything less than extraordinary. I would like to make it up to you and discuss future in detail about your recent stay. Please contact me at customerrelations@nylo-nyc.com. Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you.

Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This hotel is funky and chic! The lobby area has lots of comfy lounging areas in a modern/industrial vibe. Hotel staff was courteous and helpful. We had a choice to have interior room which would be quiet or street side which is noisier. We choose the interior room and slept sound.
Room itself was clean and well organized. The bed was super comfy! Lots of storage space.
I wish there was more room at the bathroom sink, but that was super minor issue and there were plenty of placed to leave my make up.
By the bedside tables are these chic lighting fixtures.. however, they stick out a bit so my husband and I kept bumping into them.
Location is wonderful! Near trains, GREAT shopping, wonderful restaurants (Sarafina and RedFarm)..It worked out perfect.
This could become our regular NYC hotel from now on.

Dear Natasatx,

Thank you so much for writing such an AMAZING review! I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially our great location. We look forward to welcoming you back here again soon!

Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Very nice boutique hotel by Columbus Ave. Trendy, great staff, good size room, comfortable bed. Loved walking the area with lots of shops, restaurants and beautiful brown stone high rises. Safe area off the beaten path but also very convenient to walk to many attractions.

Room Tip: There were disturbing noises going on day and night periodically - even pretty late at night. Constr...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Kimmarcelle,

Thank you so much for sharing this FANTASTIC review !! I am so happy to hear that you had such a wonderful experience during your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you here again soon!

Houston, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

NYLO was a key component to the wonderful trip we recently had to NYC. The hotel is in a great location near Central Park, so we could have a great run in the morning before starting our sight seeing. The NYLO has a very friendly and helpful staff that made us feel very welcome. I was gladly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to NYLO New York City? Share your experiences!