“Location excellent, accommodation not” 2 of 5 stars
Review of NYLO New York City

Save Saved
You added NYLO New York City to your Saves list
NYLO New York City
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2178 Broadway, 222 West 77th Street, New York City, NY 10024 (Formerly On The Ave Hotel) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Trip Advisor Saves you $$
Ranked #66 of 446 hotels in New York City
“Location excellent, accommodation not”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Hotel reviews, by their very nature, are comparative. Although this was my first stay in a New York City boutique hotel, the NYLO suffers badly by comparison to recent stays in boutique hotels at a similar price point in Philadlephia, Rome, Amsterdam, Copenhagen. Our "deluxe double double room" was so small that I couldn't use my walker, even sideways, to go past or around the beds, nor could two people move in the room at the same time. I also disliked the "kindergarden cubby" type storage units, the tiny closet, the lack of a surface for my laptop (no room for such a thing), the unusually high beds which I had difficulty climbing onto, and the concrete/dark grey decor in hallways and public areas. The NYLO also charges for wifi and lacks such pleasant amenities as complimentary morning coffee in the lobby.

Staff was unfailingly helpful but houskeeping is understaffed, and very disorganized. The housekeepers have no daily list of which rooms are turning over versus staying on or of the number of guests in each room, nor are they allocated enough time per room to do a thorough job. For example, on arrival we found used washclothes in the bathroom and orange peel under a bed. Dust and debris has accumulated in crevices and corners. Three days out of four we had to call for sufficient towels, and one day we called at 4:00 p.m. to remind housekeeping to make up our room.

The one outstanding plus of this hotel is it's Upper West Side location. I would reccommend it, with cautions, for that reason alone.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

403 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We arrived for our first ever visit to NYLO and were pleasantly greeted and helped by Jessie who gave us a wonderful large clean room with some great views on the 12th floor. Bed was outstanding. Every staff person we came across were friendly and seemed to enjoy working there. While we ate elsewhere, the evening was enjoyable in the lounge and bar area with some great music (this was on a Tues night) We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Snapper E,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay! I am happy to note that you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for your wonderful note on the hotel's services, the product and recognition of our staff especially with Jessie. Your comments will be shared with our entire team so they may be properly addressed!

new paltz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This was our first time at NYLO in NYC and from the start Jessie at the front desk made it a great experience! She was able to upgrade our room to a junior sweet and to provide us with free internet access throughout our stay all because we were visiting for the first time.
Because of her initiative our great experience at NYLO is something we will be sharing with friends and family for awhile. The room we had was clean, comfortable and had great views of the upper west side. The bed was wonderfully comfy and bathroom was huge. We had free tea and coffee, water, cable TV and all the new bathroom amenities we like to try out when we travel. We also spent some time on the 16th floor open patio for more great city views.
And since we were there on a Tuesday night when we returned back to our hotel that evening, there was a fine live band playing in our bar / lobby for the perfect ending to our day.
Thanks Jessie for making our stay at NYLO something we will remember.

Room Tip: 12th floor was quite nice
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mercuryvisit,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am extremely happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's services, product and recognition of our staff especially with Jesse. Your comments will be passed on to my team for whom it shall be a tremendous source of inspiration!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My wife and I lived in Manhattan for 10 years. This was our first trip back since moving to N. Carolina. I wanted a cheaper stay (relative to NYC), convenient to subway and Central Park, and an easy place to stay. Easy meaning... a no worry environment. NYLO was the perfect find. The customer service alone was enough for me to write a great review and encourage others to stay here. The hotel has a warm feel, like a boutique hotel. The lobby bar is fun, and relaxing. The employees, from the check in counter to the bellboy, were all helpful and friendly.

On day 2 of our 5 day trip we had a problem with the shower head leaking. An attendant was at our room within minutes with a brand new shower head and 5 minutes later it was fixed.

The beds are comfortable, the A/C and heat were easy to control. Everything was extremely clean. On our 3rd day it rained... and you don't want to be caught in the rain in NYC. You'll never get a cab. The hotel provided umbrellas to it's clients to borrow. Nice little perk... as I didn't want to buy one of those $3 street umbrellas that always break upon first use!

I travel to NYC for work a lot. My wife and I will visit often for friends and family. This will be our go-to hotel in the future. If for no other reason than we know if we have a problem, the staff will make sure it's remedied.

Michael

Room Tip: For those that don't know NYC well and are sound sensitive, you may want to request a room on th...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear triguy122958,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am extremely happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product, services and recognition of our staff! Your comments will be shared with our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

I am pleased to note that you will consider returning to NYLO NYC!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I am in NYC several times a year and always stay at NYLO. The rooms are beautifully appointed and the customer service is outstanding from Tasha and Jessie at the Reception Desk to the Housekeeping staff to the Doormen to the Concierge I can't say enough positive things!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear Janet R,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product, services and recognition of our staff especially with Jessie and Tasha! Your comments will be shared with our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

Thank you for your continued business and loyalty with NYLO NYC!

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

Cute loft style hotel room. Loved the comfy bed. We want to bring the mattress home with us! Really great with an infant. They provide a free crib and the room is toddler friendly so I didn't have to worry about my 21 month old wandering around. She loved the little doors that opened and closed as part of the decor and as it was sturdy I didn't have to worry about her breaking anything.
Housekeeping was generally very good, as was the customer service. The only strange thing was that the doormen were very scarce. Barely around to open doors and we would have appreciated extra help with the pram.
All in all a great experience and I wouldn't hesitate to return.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear leefs,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am extremely happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's services, product and recognition of our staff.

I apologize for the substandard service at the door in regards to the doorman being available. Your feedback will be passed onto our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

Chicago area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I was in town for a conference that recommended NYLO along with two other hotels. I checked out the websites and chose this one for its on-site fitness center (which I actually used). Check-in was great, the lounge is comfortable, with music some nights. The food & drink are priced well. The room was practical, functional, and the bathroom was cool. I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Upgrade above the lowest...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear traveling4family,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to seeing you here again soon.

Eugenia Simons

Been to NYLO New York City? Share your experiences!