“Love the new renovation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NYLO New York City

Save Saved
You added NYLO New York City to your Saves list
NYLO New York City
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2178 Broadway, 222 West 77th Street, New York City, NY 10024 (Formerly On The Ave Hotel) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Trip Advisor Saves you $$
Ranked #58 of 449 hotels in New York City
Atlanta
“Love the new renovation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

This hotel used to be called "On The Avenue" until about a year ago. They did a renovation and changed the name to NYLO. I stayed at OTA twice and liked it. This was my first visit at NYLO. I really like the reno. They added a bar in the lobby area, which was much needed. The decor of the lobby/bar is really nice, especially during the Christmas season (got some great shots inside the hotel). I was there three nights and visited the bar after dinner/on the way to bed 2 nights and the staff there was great both nights - they even had my favorite scotch. The room I stayed in is pretty much what I remembered from my last visit, although they've done some updating and I do like the "lockers" beside the bed. My room was not large, but this is NYC. It faced Broadway, which is always buzzing. This hotel is good for folks who know the city and don't want to be in a touristy area, but do want to be close to the subway, shopping, restaurants, etc. Frankly, I find the location excellent.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear LTKING,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us. Thank you for your feedback of your stay. I am extremely happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product, services and amenities. They will definitely be passed on to my team for whom it shall be a tremendous source of inspiration.

620 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I have spent 2 nights in NYLO hotel.
Nice bar, nice lobby, nice rooms but that's it.
Unfortunately, I left my boots at the hotel which I realized at 9pm - 6h after the check out. I called the hotel where I was told that the matter will be investigated and I will be contacted. I waited for a feedback but no one called.
Next morning, as I was still in New York, I decided to visit the hotel and find out what was going on. After talking to a very dismissive receptionist with a fake smile, I was transferred to the security person. He said that the matter will be investigated, promised to go to the room to check if the boots are still there, talk to the cleaners and check the lost and found office. He came back within 5 min. with the info that boots were not found. It was not possible for him to do all of this within 5 min.
It is absolutely my fault that I left the boots there, however some help and concern about the matter would be nice. Just some consideration. Service in this hotel is very impersonal and no one can be bothered.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Dear Kamyczek27,

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. First and foremost, I would like to apologize for the negative experiences you encountered throughout your stay. Let me assure you that we take all of our guest's concerns seriously and the issues you faced will be handled with the utmost importance.
Please contact our Front Office team at fdmanagers@nylo-nyc.com or at 212-362-1100 so that we may further assist you on locating your boots and inviting you back to make up for the inconvenience.

Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I have stayed in many places in New York and when things are affordable I am usually disappointed, but this was great. The location is awesome. It is a couple blocks from Central Park. The staff was super nice and helpful. A nice lady named Jessie checked me in and she was so pleasant. I even got to check in at 11:00am b/c the room was available, ready and clean. Successful stay. Two thumbs up!! The pictures online are exactly what you get, unlike some advertisements.

Room Tip: The hotel has rooms with a view and rooms they consider "more quiet". I decided on the &qu...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Rosemarie R,

I am extremely happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments reagrding the hotel's product, services, and recognition of Jesse!. They will definitely be passed on to my team for whom it shall be a tremendous source of inspiration.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I know, of course, that you pay a lot more for a lot less at NYC hotels, but for me this place really doesn't even seem to aspire to make you think it's good value for money. When I traveled the recent renovations were not finished, even though a phone call to the hotel the day before had informed us they were. The check-in staff was not especially welcoming...they had a defensive air about them, as if they'd had had to turn down too many questions and requests. They must have had hundreds of surprised questions about internet/wi-fi, for example. There were no internet instructions in the room, and it turns out that internet cost extra there, and wi-fi was available only in the lobby. The wi-fi was supposed to work on the rooftop terrace but didn't. The roof top terrace was in any case a very small public space with space to seat very few people (there was no room to sit when we went there). Our room itself was as small as a room could be and still fit a king size bed. Nowhere to sit except the bed; nowhere to stow anything, and certainly no room to swing a cat! And the one small window looked out onto an ugly apartment block across the street. The bathroom, similarly, was tiny and very basic--not even anywhere to hang your towels. The best thing about the room was the bed and bedding--very comfortable. But I left feeling I'd paid a lot of money for that!
(And by the way, the attached Italian restaurant is a total waste. Even though there are few alternatives near by, I'd advise avoiding its expensive but below average food and wine.)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Paul S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. First and foremost, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered throughout your stay.
Let me assure you that we take all of our guest's concerns seriously and this issue will be handled with the utmost importance.
I hope that you would give us the opportunity to make this up to you in the future.
We look forward to seeing you here again soon.

Watauga, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Stayed at the NYLO Nov 15, 2013 for three nights when I went with my daughter in law to the City. This was her first trip and I wanted to stay somewhere away from the noise of Times Square. We arrived early and the staff took care of our bags and told us they would call when the room was ready. They did and we loved the room. My husband was on the construction team that built the one in downtown Dallas so I had a preconceived idea as to what the hotel was about. So loved the hotel, the location and all of the team that we had dealings with. Will definitely be back and while in Cabo San Jose this past weekend, I met an airline pilot for American and passed on the tip as to where to stay on his next trip to NYC. I hope he listens because this is a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear mtbeck,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us. Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am extremely happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments and recommending our hotel to others. They will definitely be passed on to my team for whom it shall be a tremendous source of inspiration.

Belo Horizonte, MG
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed for one night at NYLO and was really satisfied with the place! Doorman was super nice, the same for front desk lady (don't remember her name, but I know she's from Guiana!). Since I requested a room in an upper floor, my reservation was upgraded to a Deluxe Double Double, which I think was really nice. Room has a nice size for NY and, also, amenities in room are great: with a great coffee/tea machine, complimentary bottles of water and nice bath products. Also, there are several electrical outlets throughout the room and an IPod deck. Bed has an amazing mattress and pillows, loved it!
My only complaining regards internet/wifi service, which is not complimentary and, I think, expensive.
Regarding neighbourhood, I think it's a very nice area, really close to Broadway. There are a lot of

Room Tip: Higher floor, background for quite room and Broadway for a view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Wendy S,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us. I am extremely happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments. They will definitely be passed on to my team for whom it shall be a tremendous source of inspiration.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Had a great experience checking in to this recently redone hotel. Beautiful and welcoming lobby. When checking in, Jessie went above and beyond the call of duty in setting me up with the right room. Friendly staff, great location, nice renovations - nice one NYLO!

Room Tip: 12th floor has good views!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Toby R,

Thank you for your wonderful note on the hotel's services, the product and recommending the hotel to other Trip Advisor readers.
I am happy to note that you enjoyed the hotel's location.

Eugenia Simons

Been to NYLO New York City? Share your experiences!