“Ridiculous.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Graffiti Hostel

Save Saved
You added Graffiti Hostel to your Saves list
Graffiti Hostel
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   237 West 107th Street, New York City, NY 10025 (Formerly West Side Inn)   |
Ranked #426 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Vancouver, Canada
“Ridiculous.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Went there during July. Don't trust the photos. I booked through Delta Airlines website (Bad idea). Thought it would be a great place since the price was quite attractive. Heck, waste of my money. I believe the travellers photos are enough to tell you how horrible it is. Thank god I was only staying there for one night.

If you do decide to stay there. Keep in mind that reservations does not equal reserved rooms. There was a family from Paris that had reserved their rooms there but ended up calling NYPD because the hotel decides to bail out last minute and say "We're full".

Rooms were dirty, shared washrooms. Beds were horrible. Because we went there during the summer...It was HOT (no fan's nothing).

Stay away.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Góra Kalwaria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

Of course hotel is cheap and situated near metro station and southern parts of Central Park. But the rest isn't good. Rooms are big, but dirty and dark, staff is unkind. If you want to rest during NY visit - pay more at other hotel. This place is risky.
Reservation system does not work good - they should fix it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Poznan, Poland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

I've arrived in NY i late evening. In hostel reception I heard that of course I have valid confirmed reservation, but they don't have free rooms ?!? I haven't got such serious situation in much more wild countries. But this is NY - the middle of civilisation ?!
Man in reception told me, that there is nobody responsible for that situation, and today it is impossible to solve the problem, so I should take myself and find any hotel as soon as I can (it wasn't easy). I returned to West Side Inn next day, they gave me back money for more expensive room in other hotel and gave me also little discount for next nights in West Side Inn. No simple word like "sorry". Next days I saw many times people on reception desk with the same problem. So I think - avoid this hostel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

My friend and I stayed at this hostel the first week of August for a whole week. We never did read reviews for this one, but we read reviews for the Candy Hostel and people were saying how much better THIS ONE is compared to the Candy. So we thought we'd give it a shot. We had to make a 60 dollar deposit and when we got there, the price was a LOT higher than what the website gave us. We had a hard time finding the place and when we walked into the lobby we thought it looked alright. WRONG
-the staff was very unfriendly and unhelpful
-the elevator trapped us for 2 minutes....scared us to DEATH
-we thought we'd have two beds...we walked into the room and just stood there with our mouths hanging open.
-ONE bed.
- a cheap floor fan (and it was August so it was still hot outside).
- a rip off tv that only got one fuzzy new york channel.
-one big mirror.
-two outlets for two people who had cell phones, ipods, etc.
-and we had TONS of luggage so we had to crawl over our stuff and almost broke our necks.
Overall, the room was as big as a closet. There was no where to take out the trash so we had to use plastic bags and we were there for a week so it started to smell with our beyond overflowing trash. I have nightmares of that place because it had eerie lighting and spooky halls. The kitchens were discusting-bring your own kitchen gear. The bathrooms were decent surprisingly but I would recemmond bringing your own towels, bath essentials and flip flops. The window in the bathroom did not shut. The sheets and pillows seem clean BUT I wound up at Immediate Care when I got home because I either broke out from the detergent in the sheets or bed bug bites (but my friend didn't have any problems so I don't know). I only slept and took a shower (which I recommend doing in the afternoon before seeing a musical or going out for the night because no one is around) and high-tailed it out of there.
This place is ALRIGHT if you plan on staying for one night but just to sleep. My friend was doing a camp so I was sight-seeing, shopping and spending time with a friend who was in a musical and dreaded coming back to the room. The location is alright. It's near the subway stop but at night it's scary. If your a college student that don't have alot of money...please try to find some place better or keep saving up for something more expensive and worth it. This place was overpriced for the crap that you get.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2010

Good points: location & price. The rest is terrible (!). Do not expect anything. Only sleep there and then get out asap. There is a really nice breakfast location just next to the closest MacDonald's btw.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
PortCityPJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

My two nights at the West Side Inn stand out as the worst travel experience of my life. It has been a while since I stayed there, but I just stumbled across the trip advisor listing and see that apparently it has not improved. I have stayed at cheap hostels in Europe and plenty of cheap roadside motels in the US. I am REALLY not picky. But this was way beyond anything I have seen before. Every surface of the halls, bedroom, communal bathroom, and kitchen area were filthy in addition to being tiny, old, and broken down. I made the mistake of leaving my shower shoes at home, so I tied plastic grocery bags around my feet so that they didn't come in contact with anything when I was showering and getting dressed -- it was that bad. Maybe I was there on a bad day or something, but I just can't even convey how grimy everything was. There also weren't nearly enough bathrooms, so you had to fight a crowd just to get to the shower. Half the lights didn't seem to be working, so everything was just barely lit -- which I guess just helped to camouflage the dirt. I know you get what you pay for, and it was super cheap by NYC standards, but I still blame the West Side Inn for having a totally misleading web site. If you are desperate for something really cheap, then I guess maybe I can see staying there -- just know that what you're getting looks like a crack house from out of the movies.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
Munich, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

I've been in very crappy cheap hotels in nyc, and I use to be very tolerant with them ... but this is certainly the worst! After a week I still suffer from the bites of the bedbugs. I wasn't planning to spend much time in the hotel, but still it was a very disgusting experience. I'd only recommend it for those who need a cheap place to spend a single night

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Been to Graffiti Hostel? Share your experiences!