“Great NYC Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lucerne Hotel

You added The Lucerne Hotel to your Saves list
The Lucerne Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 West 79th Street, New York City, NY 10024 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #75 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great NYC Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel early December for 5 nights and what a lovely stay it was. From the moment we arrived in the beautifully decorated lobby we were made welcome. The staff were very efficient and courteous. The room was spotless and everything worked as it should have. I have stayed in hotels in NYC on many occasions but for the first time I had a room that was quite at night with no street noise at all. We had breakfast on two occasions in the restaurant next door, whilst a little expensive , it was high quality with great service. The hotel is in a great location with lots of great restaurants and beside the Metro for easy access to midtown Manhattan. We will return to The Lucerne Hotel again. Well done to all.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Syracuse, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I was in Manhattan on business and had a training in Harlem, so the UWS seemed to be a good place to spend the night prior. I had researched Upper West Side hotels here on tripadvisor, and The Lucerne was well-rated and the comments were mostly positive, so I thought I'd give it a shot. They self-describe as a "luxury" hotel, so to a guy that usually stays at the Hampton Inn, I was looking forward to seeing what it was all about. I did have a good, January rate, which helped.

Now let me start by saying that I want this to be a fair, balanced review. I arrived in the evening and the hotel has a doorman who helps you with your luggage (took it right out of the trunk of the cab for me). The lobby is very nice, clean and inviting. The front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating. So far so good.

I checked into my room, which was small/average by Manhattan standards. It was a decent, clean room, but far from what I would define as "luxurious." So that description seems a bit misleading. So my advice is to keep your expectations grounded. The bed was very nice and comfortable, which was a plus.

I noticed it was very cold in the room right away (my stay was during the "polar vortex" where temps were near 0 degrees. I turned up the heat (nothing fancy--an old fashioned wall unit) and noticed that cold air seemed to be blowing out of it. I figured that it's an old building and very, very cold out, and that it would warm up. Well, it didn't. I called down to the front desk, who were very nice and did send up maintenance right away. He then proceeded to tear it apart and try to fix it, while I tried to look busy. These are small rooms, so there is no "space" so to speak. Finally he realized that he would have to replace the unit. I called down to the front desk again and the clerk (manager?) did come up to my room and told me I could move to the room across the hall. So I had to pack up all of my stuff again and move it. This entire process took at least an hour, and keep in mind I was tired and hungry from travelling, and didn't really want to be spending time with the maintenance man in my small hotel room.

The heat was working fine in my new room, but the remote control didn't work and I couldn't watch tv, so they had to again send my friend the maintenance man up to my room to fix the tv issue. He had to move stuff around and do something with the tv (it wasn't as simple as dead batteries in the remote.). So finally he got the tv working, and I got to eat my take-out dinner, which had arrived during all of this.

I had breakfast at the hotel restaurant the following morning--Nice Matin. The steel cut oatmeal was delicious and the staff were nice. The front desk person also was very helpful with helping me to print a business document. As I mentioned, the staff were very nice. And the doorman did hail me a cab in the freezing cold, which was so appreciated.

Now I do understand that heating systems can break and I am willing to forgive that. And tvs can malfunction. Perhaps it was just my bad luck. But what struck me after all of this is that the hotel staff never offered me anything as compensation, as a gesture of their goodwill for all of the inconveniences. It really did somewhat further sour the experience for me. I don't mean that I needed a free nights stay, but perhaps a comp for breakfast, or some other such nicety?

I won't go so far as to advise people not to stay at The Lucerne Hotel. It is a nice place, with friendly staff, but not what I would call "luxury." If you need to stay on the UWS of New York then this is a good spot. The neighborhood appeared nice. But just keep your expectations realistic.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room where the heat is working properly!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Bozeman, MT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Stayed at The Lucerne Hotel for 4 nights and enjoyed it. The hotel location is perfect, close to Central Park, subway and many good restaurants, bars and coffee places. The room was of good size for the NY standards, good quality amenities, internet worked fine. There is only one small elevator (I stayed on the 11th floor) but still it was quick and didn't have to wait long.
Breakfast was not included on my reservation so I didn't try the restaurant on the first floor but heard comments it is good.
Staff was friendly and helpful, always asking you if you need help getting a cab or directions.
I thought the hotel was a bit expensive.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stayed with my Brother for 6 nights over New Years. Nice room with 2 double beds, excellent level of service at the Concierge and helpful with the tourist advice. Good location about 10 minutes walk to Central Park West side. Easy to get a cab outside and subway goes directly to South Ferry. A great place to stay if you are sightseeing and wanting a relaxed stay.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We chose this hotel for a family vacation based upon the reviews in Trip Advisor. We were very happy with the choice. It is a lovely little hotel in a quiet neighborhood. The room was small but clean and comfortable. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. My daughter was very upset to leave her brand new stuffed animal in the hotel room. I was not very optimistic but I called the front desk and asked them to look for it. They called me back when they found the toy and they are mailing it back to us!
We will definitely visit this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stayed here with my girlfriend for 4 nights at the beginning of December, although a little further away from the centre of town we felt that the price difference would more than compensate for the extra transport costs we would incur. As it turns out we were right, it's only around $12 for a cab ride to the main tourist parts of the city and we also walked a couple of times, cutting through the park, although it took around 40 minutes to walk to 5th avenue we actually found this a nice thing to do.

We found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful, and we used Nice Matin for breakfast next door whilst we were there and found it to be excellent as well.

The room was ample size, particularly if you're used to European sized rooms, the only downside was that there was some pipes constantly dripping through the night which was disturbing. However, we'd happily stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stayed at the Lucerne due to a snow storm and it was a pleasant stay. The room was large compared to other New York hotels. The temperature was comfortable for me (although I generally like it cool). The fan was a bit noisy but all In all a pretty quiet room. The only nit pick I'd offer is when I tried to plug in the Kuerig coffee maker (nice) there was no outlet. I had to physically move the coffee maker to another table. Check in was quick but earlier when I tried to call and confirm my reservation I was kept on hold for 10 minutes. The location couldn't be better. The upper west side, close to the subway, lets you zoom to just about anywhere. And there are tons of restaurants, shops, etc. I would definitely recommend the Lucerne.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Lucerne Hotel? Share your experiences!