“Great place, Great staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lucerne Hotel

You added The Lucerne Hotel to your Saves list
The Lucerne Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 West 79th Street, New York City, NY 10024 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #75 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
uk
“Great place, Great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We visited this hotel last year and I have been meaning to review it for ages, anyway, its fantastic what can I say. Not far from all the action near to nice little deli across the road and was everything we were looking for in New York
I would recommend this to anyone as a wondeful place to stay

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I were initially checked into room 519 which was a disappointment. No view, one window overlooking rooftop and brick walls. Front desk staff were doing their best, could not relocate us as it was 10pm when we checked in.

Next morning we moved to room 1119. This room was great because we had an additional window, which overlooked uptown. I must say that both rooms were quiet and comfortable. I asked for robes and a refrigerator, which were promptly delivered. Free Wi-Fi had a good connection.

Gym and business center are located on the second floor. The included gym had 3 treadmills, 2 bikes, 2 ellipticals, and free weights..... towels and earphones are provided. There is a charge for the business center, but free service to check in to your flight and print out your boarding passes.

By the way, don't take rooms 214 through 219 if you are a light sleeper. The ONLY ice machine in the hotel is very noisy, and is located on the second floor, I believe across from room 216 and next to room 215.

Concierge Liz was very helpful. I usually take the Hop On/Off bus in cities, but I decided not to because of TA's reviews. Liz booked me on a 5 and 1/2 tour of NYC with "On Board Tours". Excellent tour....please check out my review.

The only thing I can say, is that my husband left his kindle behind either on the flight, or when we changed rooms. No return of the kindle as of now....I do hope that it was left on the flight, as we so appreciated the staff at The Lucerne Hotel.

Hotel is located just down the street from the subway at 79th Street, so easy to get around the city for $2.50 each way using the subway. There are several great stores close by....DSW for great deals on shoe ware, a liquor store, several laundromats/dry cleaners, and Zabar's for groceries and deli.

Do visit the Nice-Matin restaurant attached to the Lucerne Hotel. You may enjoy 15% off on breakfast as a hotel guest, and, the restaurant is a place for locals which is a great sign. Prices are Ok, food is excellent and the wine selection is extensive. We enjoyed both lunch and dinner there on two separate occasions.

I hope my information has been helpful to you. Give me a vote to let me know!

Room Tip: Ask for the top floors.....11 or 12 with a view of uptown. Stay away from second floor rooms 214-21...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Cape May, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Great location, very good food at Nice Matin and nearby restaurants. Have stayed there several time and will stay there again. Very clean, safe neighborhood, staff went the extra mile. Have taken grandchilden with same great experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My sisters and I have been going to NYC for many years and have usually stayed closer to mid-town or the Upper East Side. We decided to try out The Lucerne (mainly as they had suites with small kitchenettes). What a great hotel with extremely helpful and friendly staff! The hotel was clean and in great shape with large rooms. The location (Upper West Side, W 79th St) is a great place to be (much quieter than mid-town) with many fantastic local restaurants and pubs (on Amsterdam) and shops (on Broadway) nearby. The 79th St subway station (the '1' line) is only a block away and can take you to Times Square, Macy's, Soho, Chinatown, Ground Zero. The hotel is located in a relatively residential area and is only a few blocks from Central Park and the Museum of Natural History. I will certainly stay at this hotel again and will recommend to friends.

Room Tip: Like any hotel, ask for a room far away from the elevator! Our room faced the street but it's...
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Lucerne is a very comfortable and convenient hotel on the Upper West side. There are restaurants, access to the subway, easy walking to Central Park, and even several laundromats nearby. The price was reasonable for this uptown location.

Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was my third stay at the Lucerne, and it was another good experience. It is a lovely hotel in a wonderful location - close to he subway, Central Park, and to my favorite sturgeon place - Barney Greengrass. Since this is a residential neighborhood, it is less congested, but there are still many restaurants to choose from. My room was slightly smaller this time since I had a "superior" and not the "deluxe" that I had on the previous visits, but it is still a very nice sized room for two people. The staff is courteous, and the room was cleaned daily and efficiently. There is free WiFi which is a bonus. It required you to sign onto it several times a day, but once signed in, it worked fine until the next time.The business center does charge for printing, but the service is complimentary for printing boarding passes. I highly recommend the Lucerne and will always stay here when I visit NY.

Room Tip: I've asked for "quiet" rooms and have never had a problem with noise.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The room was much bigger than we expected for the price and location. Nice strong shower. The staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and always available. Check in / check out was prompt. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

Room Tip: higher floors have negligible street noise
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Lucerne Hotel? Share your experiences!