“Lucerne for small home style hotel accom NYC” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Lucerne Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Lucerne Hotel to your Saves list
The Lucerne Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 West 79th Street, New York City, NY 10024 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #63 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Lucerne for small home style hotel accom NYC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

We stayed at the Lucerne Hotel, NYC during April 2012. We found 79th Street, to be great, the subway was a 2 minute walk, for uptown or downtown trains using 1 Line.
The Lucerne was a quaint, old fashioned hotel. The room was tiny, which I understand is pretty common with NYC but it was so small we could not have the suitcase open at all, let alone 2 suitcases.
Liked it for easy access to subway, Museum etc.
Dislikes: No fridge, I really dislike this with a hotel. No way to make a cuppa, no milk etc, just a water warmer and coffee creamer ( yuck).
The lift, well sometimes we waited 20 minutes and still no lift, so we walked the 6 floors down.
We had no view, despite the fact that I requested a view and a higher floor to get away from the noise. There was no problem with the noise.
The staff were reasonably helpful, my bag went missing on the flight over, so for the first day and half I kep asking whether my bag had turned up. it arrived at 2:30 one morning and they delivered it immediately ( because I had requested they ring me), much to my relief I had some clothes.
The concierge, well I asked about bikes to hire, and he said go to 7th avenue, when their were plenty of places closer with better bikes than that. I asked about Statue of Liberty and he did explain train stops etc, but possibly could have explained the 3 hour wait.
All in all for NYC, I guess the place was quiet, comfy, small, beds comfy. No room to move. I would have liked NY Times at my door each morning.
The restaurant below was really ordinary and my opinion on that is to follow... Nice Matin... not nice and do not go there!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Providence
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

The Lucerne is in a great location. There are dozens of restaurants within a few blocks. The neighborhood is reasonably quiet, and it’s two blocks to the park. Free NY Times at the door every morning.
I got a corner room on the sixth floor, with a view of the Hudson and New Jersey. It was a good size for a NY hotel room. The internet is blazing fast. And the attached restaurant, the Nice Matin, served excellent cappuccino and croissants.
Small negatives: the double beds were small (not queen beds), and my television did not work well (intermittently unresponsive to the remote even after they replaced the remote for me).

Room Tip: looking west is better -- you can see down 79th st to the Hudson.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Palo Alto, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

We stayed in rooms 824 (a small suite) and 704. The sitting room of the suite was tiny, not really worth the extra money, but it did mean that we had a refrigerator and a microwave oven, which was useful. The hotel is quiet and clean - no bed bugs here! - and well maintained. We found all the staff helpful. The hotel is a couple of blocks from the Natural History Museum and Central Park, and about 15 mins walk from the Met. The subway station for line 1, which takes you to the theatre district, is at the end of the block. There are a number of restaurants and small food outlets on the street surrounding the hotel. Very convenient location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor to lessen noise, as 79th street is pretty busy all the time.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Large rooms, comfortable beds and attentive service. What more could someone ask for in a hotel/ How about free (FREE) NY Times at your door each morning.

Room Tip: Ask to be in a "back" room for the quiet
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Leesburg, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

A nice hotel in a quiet, yet good central location for meandering around the city.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

I always stay at this hotel as it is extremely clean, the staff is very friendly and helpful. I feel safe staying here and it is so close to Central Park that when I get too overwhelmed with the city I can find peace in the park.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights, arriving late on our first night. We had stayed in the area before so knew the hotel was in a great location. We love staying away from the tourist areas and in a more residential area. It's only about 20-30minute walk down to fifth avenue, and we usually walked through the park.
The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. We didn't eat in the hotel/attached restaurant so can't comment on it. The hotel room was great-really comfy bed and plenty of room to hang up clothes etc. a large umbrella is provided, which came in really useful!
The things I would mark the room down on are....no coffee maker or kettle etc, which by previous experience is standard in US hotels. Also, there was a CD player, which I think should really be an iPod docking station in the age of iPods etc.
Overall, a good base to stay when in New York.

• Stayed March 2012

Been to The Lucerne Hotel? Share your experiences!