“Lively, loud and YOU MUST HAVE THE GARLIC BROCCOLI” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Commerce

Commerce
50 Commerce Street, New York City, NY 10014 (Manhattan)
(212) 524-2301
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Commerce is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,406 of 11,751 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Barrow Street
Transit: A, B, C, D, E & F trains to West 4th Street and 1 train to Christopher Street.
Description: The building at 50 Commerce pulses with history. Depression-era revelers snuck in it when it was a speakeasy. As the Blue Mill Tavern, it saw 50 years of change. And as Grange Hall, it captured the heart of Greenwich Village as a beloved gathering place.Now, as Commerce, a restaurant serving fine food prepared by chef Harold Moore, the building welcomes a slew of modern visitors seeking a warm place to share a meal and a sense of community. Owned by reputable restauranteur Tony Zazula and noted Chef Harold Moore, Commerce is homage to old New York, celebrating a city where history and contemporary sensibilities collide on every corner.
Livingston, New Jersey
“Lively, loud and YOU MUST HAVE THE GARLIC BROCCOLI”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Commerce is a lively little surprise in a somewhat hard to find location. But, once you've been there the first time, easy to find the second time!T?he tables are very, very close together and on this past Saturday night, was very, very loud. You could easily speak to the person by your side, but it was more difficult to hear the person across the table from you.

The salad with 20 herbs was outstanding. I wish I was eating it again this very minute. It was just perfect- flavor notes excellent, dressed to perfection. A dream salad indeed. The other stand out was the garlic broccoli. What could possibly be so good about garlic broccoli, right? Well you don't know until you have tried it. Two in our group, were "light on the garlic", types, yet the broccoli was so perfectly prepared that it did not offend the anti-garlic ones among us.
So, the 20 herb salad, garlic broccoli, and oh yes, pretzel shaped rolls from the bread basket, all truly amazing.

I had the red snapper as an entree. It was good, no question, and everyone at our table was pleased with their entree. For dessert, my friends had the Coconut Cake, which is HUGE, and they said excellent. I had the chocolate soufflé, which was too cakey for me.

You can't ask for any changes in the preparation of any of the food. If you do, your server will politely tell you, that what you are asking for is not possible. Apparently, the chef is not in favor of adjusting his dishes.

All in all a very nice evening, good food, okay to dress on the casual side. Next time, I would like to try the chicken dish. For now, just dreaming about that broccoli.....

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, Canada
“so good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My daughter was starting Parsons. She is a foodie and had sent me a video of an outrageous roast chicken dish at Commerce. So, when we went to NYC I quietly made a reservation and took her, to her surprise. We arrived to a very warm greeting and were seated to a terrific table. It was a Thursday and very busy. While perusing the menu I had a terrific Sazerac. I ordered a bottle of Cote de Beaune and my daughter ordered a salad and I ordered oysters to go with the whole roast chicken. It takes 45 minutes to prepare but we were in no hurry so......the salad arrived. 25 different herbs and lettuces in a nice vinaigrette. Oysters really fresh with a mignonette.

A runner shows us the whole chicken and takes it back for plating. Unfreakin' believable! Whole chicken with foie gras stuffed between the skin and the meat. Served over croutons and pommes puree with some steamed vegetables. I can't remember which because the chicken, croutons and puree were ridiculously good.

Our server was terrific, the sommelier knew his stuff, I have not one thing to quibble about.

I am going back as soon as I schedule the next visit. So good!

Bluffton, South Carolina
“Great Food, Lively Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Had dinner here after a show on a Saturday night. The place was jam-packed and had a lively buzz. The service was very good and the food was excellent. The deviled egg starter was the best deviled egg I've ever had, very flavorful. The pork schnitzel and the veal meatballs were really as good as they looked when presented. The wine service was perfectly paced.

Thornwood, New York
“A happening place with an incredible bar, unique decor. Superb food and efficient service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Set on a tiny corner (Barrow & Commerce) in the West Village this friendly bustling little place is a Mecca for locals, Manhattanites and out-of-towners. The bar is usually 3 deep, unique cocktails and spirits. Very eclectic menu and a varied moderately priced wine list. The Grignolino di Monferrato is superb. Don't miss the deviled eggs, fried oysters, tomato lettuce salad with blue cheese wedges and the incredible pork schnitzel. Two "heads up" items: it is usually quite noisy, and you cannot pay cash...credit card only.

Mansfield, Texas
“Really nice, hidden gem in the Village”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Made reservations here at the recommendation of a friend in the area. We arrived a few minutes before our 7:30 reservation and were seated promptly.
Our server started off very friendly, making some wise recommendations and was quick with drinks, etc.
First came the best basket of bread we've ever encountered served with butter than I would rob and steal in order to learn the recipe.
We started off with an amazing appetizer of heirloom tomatoes with housemade mozzarella cheese, bits of pork (belly?) and peppers glazed with a balsamic reduction. Wow. It was so, so good.
We chose the roasted chicken for two as our entree. The server warned us it would take a bit longer than other entrees, and it did. But it was very worth it. I have no idea how you can make chicken taste so good (honestly I probably don't want to) but this was one fine bird. The veggies that accompanied were great, too. We just kept looking at each other asking "how do they make chicken so good?" We had a very forgettable side of some corn dish that I would skip for sure next time.
The wine list was small but had plenty of nice selections at reasonable prices. Most were available by the glass.
The aforementioned server seemed to lose her way halfway through the meal. Her friendliness turned to what seemed like anger, and she was absent the latter half of the meal. The place got very busy, so maybe she was overwhelmed but it was frustrating. Also, we were seated in a small two top near the bar. Once the bar got busy, we had the butts of five loud dudes right in our faces. I'm sure they were plotting how to bring down the economy again, but whatever they were doing it was incredibly annoying and distracted from the meal.
Overall it was great, we'd go again, but would request to be seated in the main dining room and cross our fingers for better service.

• Visited July 2013