“Simple & Tasty. Pretty good value for Midtown” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Caffe Linda

Caffe Linda
145 E 49th St, New York City, NY 10017-1210 (Manhattan)
646-497-1818
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Caffe Linda is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,008 of 11,751 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: between lexington and 3rd ave
Transit: 4,5,6 to 51 Street and Lexington or E,M to Lexington and 53rd Street
nyc
“Simple & Tasty. Pretty good value for Midtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Had lunch with some business contacts. Not overly busy. Understated. Easy for conversation. A fairly focussed menu with limits to amount of options. Food was pretty good as was the overall value.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Atlanta, Georgia
“Bad service, below average food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Thought this might be a hidden gem based on reviews but we were very disappointed. Barely had waiter service (not sure if our guy was serving us as an extra duty), and heard construction while we waited to be served. The food was not as good as chain Italian food in my opinion.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Yateley, United Kingdom
“Good food, not great value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Found this on trip advisor & totally ignored the review written about a visit from 2 years ago!!

Even though we were only round the corner I still booked a reservation for Thursday evening. We were a few minutes early, so had to wait for our table, which ordinarily would be ok wait at the bar, but the place is very small so not enough room.

Once seated the service was very good, I had the seared scallops with asparagus which were excellent.

For main course my wife had the Veal & I the Black Linguini with Lobster & shrimps in a tomato sauce. Both were very good and large portions.

Desert was the "special", dark chocolate mouse; a chocoholics dream, but too rich even for me to finish. The disappointment was for my wife who asked for Tiramisu, it came out in reasonable time & was nicely presented, however it would have been better billed as a sponge & cream desert with chocolate syrup. There was no coffee or booze taste at all, which for an Italian restaurant I thought was very poor.

My wife complained and they took it away and deleted it from the bill.

This was my next issue, as the food & service overall had been very good I didn't have a problem with the tip, but the overall cost was very high for what we had.

Overall, I would recommend the food, but not particularly great value for money.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ekaterinburg
“Good place with tasty food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Both dishes was very tasty. Friendly staff. Everything was good! Quite place for cosy lunch. In the evening there was only 2 free tables during our visit.

Jarrow
“Avoid like the plague!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Myself my mother & my sister visited New York in sept 2011(not 2012 as states elsewhere) & stayed in apartments next door to this "caffe" On our first night we decided to eat there as it was on the doorstep, What a mistake!! we ordered a lasagne & two carbonara's, one lemonade, one coke & a glass of wine. we were presented with two glasses along with cans of pop! & a glass of dry white wine(nothing fancy) the size a sommelier offers as a "taster" of the bottle!!
When our meals arrived they were very small portions, (more like starters) & the lasagne was bubbling unnaturally (it was of a nuclear temperature that immediately indicated it had been microwaved for FAR TOO LONG) the meals were to say the least awful.
the next shock was the $90+ bill!!!(approx £60!!) when asked for a break down of the bill, they were extremely sketchy but pointed out the $9 for the thimble of wine, & roughly $20 gratuity charge!!! I asked for the gratuity charge to be removed (as they should not have assumed on our "tip" & that gratuity should only be automatically added when groups of 6 or more are dining!) We paid the revised bill begrudgingly & refused to leave a tip.
This place was a total rip off obviously tourists get taken for a expensive ride.

• Visited September 2012