“Lovely restaurant with excellent service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dovetail

Dovetail
103 W 77th Street, New York City, NY 10024-6909 (Upper West Side)
212.362.3800
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Dovetail is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #647 of 12,022 Restaurants in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French, American, Fusion
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: Columbus Avenue
Transit: B & C trains to 81st Street and 1 train to 79th Street.
Description: Dovetail is a Michelin-starred restaurant operated by chef and proprietor John Fraser. Serving contemporary American fare and located on Manhattan's Upper West Side, Dovetail received three stars from The New York Times as well as its first Michelin star in the 2011 New York Guide.
San Francisco, California
“Lovely restaurant with excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

Our party of eight had a wonderful time. The enjoyment of the food was enhanced by a very good wine paring. I started with the foie gras which was ok. We just returned from Paris so I have recently had amazing foie gras and was thus spoiled. The wine paring did enhance the selection. For the entree I choice the steak which was prepared with care. Again, the wine paring well done. The soufflé was outstanding. Not too sweet and light as a white feather. It was a lovely evening with great friends enhanced by very attentive staff.

Visited May 2014

“Great ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I booked quite last minute & managed to get a table. They have a good vegetarian menu as well as a tasting menu. Also a good selection of wine & cocktails. Dessert was the bst part of the meal.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I ate here last week having booked a table a full month in advance - I was in New York for a holiday alone. On arrival at the restaurant I was informed they were aware of my booking but did not have a table for me and would I mind eating in the bar area. I said yes as I assumed if I had said no I wouldn't have been able to be accommodated. I wish I hadn't bothered. The bar area was close to being pitch black (as I travelled alone I generally pass time in restaurants between course reading) and the table I was seated at had very high bar stools, which for someone who is 5'2" tall was very uncomfortable. I then was subjected to people being seated in the bar area - couples and groups - who had a drink and were then taken to tables in the restaurant! Quite frankly I believe because I had booked as a 'solo' diner, they never had any intention of providing me with a restaurant table. (The only positive note I can state is that the waiters who served me were extremely kind and accommodating).

As far as the food is concerned, for a Michelin star restaurant it was below average. However, the food could have been exquisite and the way I was treated as a single female diner would have still made this experience poor. I will not be returning.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Dissapointing given the reputation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

We booked Dovetail with high expectations having researched it as one of the special places to go whilst on Honeymoon in New York. Unfortunately it did not live up to the standards that we expected. The food that was served was nicely presented, the layout of the tables was a little close for comfort given the romantic ambience that it projects. The main that we both ordered was not what we expected and perhaps a little more explanation was required by the waiting on staff when we placed the order. We were over charged on the final bill for items that we did not have so would advise to check this when you pay. In our opinion there are nicer places to go at a similar price.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Isle of Palms, South Carolina
“Elegant Restaurant West of Central Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

We, a party of nine, came to celebrate the law school graduation of a granddaughter. This is an elegant, well appointed restaurant with beautiful flower arrangements.

We were assigned a relatively small round table, which would have been very uncomfortable. Upon complaining we were give two rectangular tables, which were fine. Then we were treated with benign neglect. It took half an hour for the waitress to take our orders. She served us a delicious amuse bouche and various tasty breads.

The first course arrived half an hour after that. All the food was very well and artfully prepared, and they catered to a vegan and a vegetarian with delectable vegetable dishes. Surprising were the small portions of the appetizers and the entrees. An interesting intermezzo was served after the main course.

The whole dinner took more than three hours and cost a small fortune.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere