“Best Pasta I have ever had” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Giano

Giano
126 East 7th St, New York City, NY 10009 (East Village)
(212) 673-7200
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Giano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,870 of 11,599 restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: East Village
Cross street: 1st Ave & Ave A
Chicago, Illinois
“Best Pasta I have ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a superb little gem of a restaurant in the East Village. I had dinner there on Sunday evening and by Monday I was already thinking, "you know what sounds good? That pasta dish I had at Giano's".

Where to start? The service is impeccable and the server (who may very well be the owner) was personable, KNOWLEDGEABLE and very entertaining. The food was superb. I had the parmigiana di milanzane for the appetizer. The spices were perfectly balanced with just the right amount of cheese. For my main, I had the spinach and ricotta ravioli with butter and sage...this is truly a dish on which dreams are made. I would have NEVER thought of pairing sage with a pasta dish, but the result is heavenly. Paolo suggested a Lambrusco that is served cold -- GENIUS. A slight sparkle with the cold red makes it one of the most refreshing as well as delicious reds I have ever enjoyed.

And like so many others who has written about this restaurant, I think only a madman would leave Giano without having their tiramisu, which is very, VERY good. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it was the best I have ever had -- I would have liked a little more moisture on the bottom layer -- but definitely a wonderful complement to an insanely gorgeous dinner.

For two people with a bottle of wine, two appetizers, two mains, dessert and espresso and TIP, it came to $140.00, making it one of the best values I had in New York. When I return to the city, I will definitely head back To Giano.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

91% Recommend
Atlanta
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We were looking for a place to dine in the East Village and after reading reviews for Giano we decided to give it a try. The fresh pasta is amazing, I had a lovely salad as well, and the desserts all sounded so good we tried the all, "Open Minded" was the table favorite, we will definitely add this our list of "must dine" when we come back to the city!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Scotch Plains
“Great service Great Pasta”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We were a party of 8 and our waiter was engaging and very entertaining. The pasta dishes were terrific but the meat dishes were just ok which is why this was not rated "excellent" as it was great value for money with a good wine list. The desert choices were also outstanding.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Paolo is the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Paolo, the owner, is so passionate about the food, the way he describes it makes your mouth water. The food lives up to his descriptions - big time. Also make sure to finish off with the locally made tiramissu.

e. brunswick, NJ
“Pleasant surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

We read the other reviews and wanted to give a try to something new...we dont get over to the east village much, usually stick to the west side, since it's closer to home in NJ....this was a very cozy place, decorated a bit modern, with nice brick walls & comfy seating w/pillows along the wall...the owner (?) was very pleasant with us, sat us near the open window, and on a beautiful night allowed us to people watch...we had a terrific assortment of fried appy's...ravioli, green olive stuffed w/meat, eggplant w/basil & cheese, and calamari...it was all very good! we had a cucumber, olive & goat cheese salad w/a light citrus dressing that was wonderful.... we had a bottle of Montepulciano that was quite good for $34- unheard of in nyc....dinner was delicious...the gnocchi was homemade, and light as a feather, the filet was prepared perfect w/basil mashed that was offsetting the meal really well...another dish of fresh pasta, mushroom, pancetta & bechemel was very good...all the pasta is homemade...the atmosphere was very relaxing, the service was attentive, and overall it was a very good experience....

• Visited April 2012