“Healthy fast food in New York City” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Energy Kitchen - CLOSED

Energy Kitchen
82 Christopher Street, New York City, NY (West Village)
212-414-8880
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Delivery
Neighborhood: West Village
Los Angeles, California
“Healthy fast food in New York City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We made 2 visits to Energy Kitchen on a recent trip to New York. There are several locations; we visited 1089 Second Avenue. As with almost all NYC restaurants, the calories are posted. Energy Kitchen is known for low-fat, organic healthy food. And, we found it to be delicious. We ate their steak burger, several different salads, chicken breast, corn/edamame, black beans, sweet potato fries. All were delicious.

The pricing is not fast food; we spent $25 - $30 for two. But we felt much better afterwards than eating pizza, burgers, french fries or quesadillas.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Amelia Island, FL
“Vegetarians Rejoice! A Unique Veggie Burger!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is a great find for vegetarians looking for a quick veggie burger and fries at a reasonable price. The burger is unique (not a Boca or Morningstar). It is packed full of veggies and cooked to perfection on a tasty bun. Try the sweet potato fries and some of the passion fruit tea. Funky vibe and just plain good!

Visited April 2013
San Antonio, TX
“Lives up to motto: fast, not fat, food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Small little restaurant; good for a quick bite or to go. My soup was so-so, but the berry smoothie was GREAT. Was glad to find a place that I didn't feel gross when I left! I think they mean what they say--no butter, sugar, creamer, etc. temptations here.

And--they got my name for my order from my credit card. This is the first time I've seen a place do something that smart.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, CA
“Tasty food, good concept, but overrated and priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I read about Energy Kitchen in an interview with "Mike from Queens", its founder and one of the former owners of Vitamin Water. I love it as a concept - healthy, balanced food that tastes good. I love the selection of no-calorie beverages and thought the food - with the exception of the baked fries - was very tasty. However, there are issues.

1) Its overpriced. There is no way a combo should cost you $12 or more.

2) Like I said, the fries aren't good. That they are baked and therefore healthier is no excuse. Air Fries done in those cool convection ovens have been around for at least 2 decades and are so much better. They should switch fry concepts. It might help to do a thinner slice.

3) This is not the be all, end all. There are many other places that you can do the same thing, with some simple planning in advance. Sure, this takes some of the guess work out, but its not that hard.

Tried the 42nd Street location.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“How many ways can you say "Wow!"?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I had been on a weight-loss plan and was losing steadily for about a year when all of a sudden I reached a plateau that just would not go away. I went to a nutritionist and she suggested I try Energy Kitchen for those times when I would want to eat out.

I ordered online for a delivery - After I got the confirmation I realized I had chosen the wrong sides *slaps forehead* and called the location to change. The order hadn't yet been received, and Mike and another lady very graciously took my new order and would cancel the online order when it came in. I had to laugh when the second order was delivered anyway, and was ready to fuss, but I accepted it and just decided to have it later for dinner.

I'm glad I kept it!

I had the plain grilled salmon, which came with a lemon wedge - it does have available cajun seasoning or teriyaki sauce. The salmon was a wow. Sides were creamed spinach (wow again) and baked french fries (triple wow). I had always tried to do baked fries at home with no success, and these were great. The portion sizes are perfect and the food is filling.

The meal was packaged very attractively, with separate sections for the protein and 2 sides - I'm used to getting takeout where everything is just slapped into a styrofoam box and runs together. The box also looked like it was eco-friendly. Points for that.

It's always a challenge to eat healthy and TASTY food - this was terrific!

I would have to say the only slight negative would be that they do not carry bottled plain water (or maybe they do and just don't sell it online).

It's such a relief to have a place where you don't have to guess the portion sizes, carb count, calorie count, ask to leave off the butter, etc. Nutritional info is posted online for every item sold, even the teriyaki sauce.

Definitely going back/ordering again; I'm looking forward to trying other menu items such as the bison burger.

Love it!